• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Audition Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very stupid question but here it goes:
When you audition for the Bachelor's in performance course of study as an incoming freshman, does everyone get in? Or does just the select few that the admissions people pick get in? I am really confused about this. Help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
'47 Martin Committee Deluxe #3
'06 Monette B993
nc~trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not everyone is going to get in at every school that they apply at. But if you show a lot of potential and you work hard and are willing to continue working hard you will find a school and a teacher that is right for you. Where are you applying at?

Derek
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the school, some will allow you in to the university, but you will have to audition seperatly to get in the the college of music. Some will take you without an audition but you will have to audition for the money. Talk to the college they will be happy to clear it up for you
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,
Thanks for the info. I really don't know where I want to go, but I'm thinking about majoring in instrumental performance. But If I have my heart set on doing this, and they don't pick me, then I have to pick a different major? Just curious: what happens if the person auditioning is very talented, but started becoming "serious" about the trumpet at a late date, like his Senior year, and is not quite up to par with the rest of musicians? I feel that If I had started becoming serious about the trumpet earlier, that I would be much better. I think that I may not be up to par with the rest of the music majors auditioning, but I think that I have the will and the desire to do well. What do you think would happen?

Thanks a lot,

Patrick Trautfield
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we all had gotten more serious earlier, we would all be better.

Don't get yourself down, you'll shoot yourself in the foot. Go in there and do your best. It sounds to me that you are a heartfelt and passionate individual. That will come through in your playing.

Many people say... if you can envision something, you can make it happen.... and, although this is true of many POSITIVE things, it becomes almost set in stone when applied in a negative way. ie. ...if you envision yourself failing, YOU WILL.

Positive outlook, good steady practice and all that passion WE already know you have.
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, your story sounds a lot like mine was a couple years ago. I wasn't sure of what I wanted to major in until my senior year. I chose music and couldn't be happier! I recommend you audition for a wide variety of schools. Try for that one school that you'd love to go to more than anything. Try for one or two that have smaller programs, but have great teachers...there are a lot of these. Make sure you take a lesson with the different professors when you visit the school. You might find a prof that you work great with at a different school than you first had in mind. A good teacher should be the first priority and on equal with playing opportunities. Good luck. I hope everything works out for you!

matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement and advice guys.
Matt,
How do I find out who are the good teachers and where? I can go to the website for the college, and it lists the teachers names, but I don't know, and haven't heard of most of them before (except Allen Vizzutti at Washington State of course ). How do I go about choosing a teacher (besides taking a lesson with them)?
Again, thanks a lot,

Patrick Trautfield
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a 100 miles from Cal State Northridge.

How about starting an inquiry there?

Not to mention Santa Barbara,Irvine,Chaffey College and Bakersfield.

Good luck.
mm
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always tell high school students that they should make a list of 6-8 schools they would like to attend and really do some research. I feel that everyone should audition for the music programs at the 3 or 4 schools they finally prefer. That way you have good contingency plans.

It is not unusual for some music schools to take a only very small percentage of their applicants. I know that here at Indiana University we only have room for maybe 20% of the potential undergrads who audition. Many times this means that very qualified applicants are passed over because there are many even more qualified applicants.

If you don't get accepted by every school you audition for it doesn't mean that you don't have the potential for eventual career success. I know of tons of great successful pros who ended up going to their 2nd or 3rd choice music school or started as a non-music major and still they eventually thrived bcause of hard work and goal orientation. I applied to Indiana University as an undergraduate 3 times and was never accepted, and yet 30 years later I am on their faculty.

If you get accepted into more than one school then you can weigh a lot of factors such as cost, the level of student competition, career success of graduates, who you will study with, how many trumpet faculty, how teachers are assigned, will you study with a faculty member or a grad student, academic requirements, etc.

Good luck. Remember that it isn't as important that you get in the "best school" (There is no such thing). It is important that you get in the best school situation for you and your needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: