• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chris Gekker's ITG Article

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you who get the ITG Journal take a look at Chris Gekker's article in the latest journal entitled "Progression" in which he discusses the vitures of truly progressive improvement and the pitfalls of trying to push the envelope too far too fast. Gekker describes a fairly gifted student who he believed was prematurely tackling the Tomasi concerto, and who, perhaps had a history of taking on works that were somewhat beyond his abilities. Gekker says that the student, although technically proficient, had developed an "edgy and brittle' style to his playing, rather than making the pieces sound easy and confident. He then quotes Vincent Penzerella as saying no audience wants to hear a trumpet player who sounds like he is struggling through a piece.
Gekker then suggests how he believes students should progress through the etude books so they can be approached from a position of strength and confidence.

I think alot of ambitious young students and alot of us old comeback players may have the tendency to want to go too far too fast. Elsewhere on the forum Pat Harbison said trumpet playing is not for the impatient. Here is another reason why.

[ This Message was edited by: Pat on 2002-06-27 14:07 ]
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excelent thinking! Thank you for the heads up Pat!
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by B_Starry on Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Blutch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian and others,

Do you know about the ITG Journal CD-ROM?

20 years of Journals on a searchable CD-ROM in PDf format. It was the free CD to members last year. Much easier than looking through a pile of old Journals.

It is still available for purchase through the ITG. Email: treasurer@trumpetguild.org to inquire.

B
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by B_Starry on Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the "Progression" article that Chris Gekker wrote for the ITG Journal, he has authored some wonderful articles related to organizing your practice day. Please check out "Summer Practice" and "Notes on Practicing" at Ole's web site (towards the bottom of the page):

http://www-it.hive.no/oj/musikk/trompet/practice/

I have had some wonderful email conversations with Chris, and I am just amazed at how well organized he is with respect to Time Management. He certainly helped me sort out a better way to approach my daily practice. With his suggestions as a springboard, I have been able to add a definite spark to my practice day through varying the material I look at on a daily basis. There are also many great pedagogy concepts sprinkled through these articles that are extremely valuable, my favorite being this one: While discussing the Clarke Technical Studies he says that by playing extremely softly you are "connecting with your instrument on an extremely relaxed level." He goes on to say, "Form follows function. If, on a daily basis, you establish a very efficient, relaxed approach to playing the trumpet, you will eventually become a trumpeter that can, on a daily basis, play the trumpet in a relaxed, smooth, and expressive manner."

There are some other really good articles at Ole's site that are worth reviewing too.

Enjoy!
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known Chris since '89 when he was my teacher in my undergrad days. He is truly a wonderful teacher/player and just one hell of a great guy. His books are very well thought out and have helped many (including me). I consider myself very lucky to know him. If anyone ever gets a chance to study with him DO IT!

R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: