• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Forgetting to breath

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Semman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Forgetting to breath Reply with quote

Practicing is having its affect on my playing. I can actually believe that I will be able to play this "thing". Several times over the last month or so, I have found that while I am playing, that I lose myself in the sound and forget to breath. I find myself thinking, "Did that music actually come from me?" Then, I realize that I am somewhere on the next measure, and out of breath, and the next note just drizzles out.

Has this ever happened to any of you? And what do you do to refocus on the music, breathing, etc.?

There is so much to concentrate on: breathing, reading, pitch, intonation, the beat, etc. My poor single cell brain is fried.

I can't wait until next month, when I re-start my trumpet lessons.

Thanks beforehand for any info.

Gary
Bach 5C
Bach 3C
BAA Bugler
Oldsmen61

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it great when you get in to that zone. I does happen to me usally the first few times that I play a piece, however don't dwell on it. I just mark in breath marks "," as reminders to breath and carry on. The more you play the less it will happen. good luck.
Olds Ambassador Cornet
Trumpeter58
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Breathing Reply with quote

Hi Gary,

Just browsing the site and saw your post about forgetting to breath. Rest assured that you're not alone. Having recently begun assisting in teaching a beginning brass class I have already heard the question: "What if I need to breathe before there's a " '" mark on the music?" My answer to the youngsters is to get a good full breath one count before starting to play, then breathe at every breath mark in the music, and grab as much air as you can everytime there's a rest of 1/8th beat or longer. I know what you mean about getting so wrapped up in what's coming out of the horn that you forget to breathe, so as a general rule I try to grab breaths at 2 or 4-measure intervals, depending on what I'm playing. For the most part I think that it becomes pretty much automatic with time.
firsttimer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary I know how you feel, I find that I need to think as fast as a racing car driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless, Alan
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, and All,

Something that might help a lot is to purchase a "Real Book"... WITH lyrics. The words will help you to see and hear the musical phrases a bit more easily than an instrumental piece that doesn't have written breath marks. The more familiar the piece, the easier it will be to pick up on the phrasing. As it has already been pointed out, the norm is a 4-bar phrase.

A few years back, at an ITG conference, Bud Herseth commented about a question which he had been asked about playing a particular piece, or phrase. His response to the player was, "Maybe your just not hearing it correctly?" Perhaps the musical phrase exceeded the typical 4-bar phrase?

Another way to check yourself, particularly if the piece you're playing has been recorded, is to listen to as many recordings of the piece as you can. Try to hear where each individual breathes... or, how he/she phrases, within the piece.

Sometimes, too, it helps to memorize a segment of the music... or, the enitre piece. Take it "off the page", in other words. Hear what you are playing, instead of simply reading the notes. There are many, many things that we need to concentrate on, in order to play musically. You are feeling that, which is the best part of what you are questioning. Hopefully, some of the suggestions here will help.

Best always,
Bruce
_Gene

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion reminds me of an old friend of mine. He is a very accomplished motorcycle rider with many years experience. He once approached a stop light that was red at a very busy intersection. As he came to a stop he 'forgot' to put his left foot down. He said as he stopped his next sensation was a very slow motion tip over of his large MC to his left and down he went. Needless to say he was quite embarassed. Witnesses said he looked like and old Key Stone Cops movie.

It can happen to any one (not just us ole goats)

Getzen Custom 3051S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: