• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Xeno Overhaul???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Xeno Overhaul??? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am thinking about getting my Xeno an overhaul. I'm talking total overhaul to include valve alignment, solder removal, gap adjustment, custom tuning slide, and replate (Scratch or Bright gold). Anyone done this? I would hate to go through all of this and then end up with only minimal improvement. The instrument already plays very well, just looking to make it the best possible. BY the way, its a 8335RGS. Thanks
GMacDaddyTPO
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

That's what I always say anyways...do whatever you want!
Trumpet Dude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Xeno Overhaul??? Reply with quote

miles71 wrote:
Hey guys, I am thinking about getting my Xeno an overhaul. I'm talking total overhaul to include valve alignment, solder removal, gap adjustment, custom tuning slide, and replate (Scratch or Bright gold). Anyone done this? I would hate to go through all of this and then end up with only minimal improvement. The instrument already plays very well, just looking to make it the best possible. BY the way, its a 8335RGS. Thanks

Hwo mcuh wil that run you?
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I would think about doing is a valve alignment. I would leave everything else as is if the horn already plays well.
Gurukid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Xeno Overhaul??? Reply with quote

Trumpet Dude wrote:
miles71 wrote:

Hwo mcuh wil that run you?

Bob Reeves does a valve alignment for around $150-$175, and so does Bobby Shew for $150 (from what I have heard). I know that Bob Malone does some custom work for Yamaha instruments too. Get the instrument plated silver, as IMHO it is cheaper to keep silver than lacquer, as Yamaha instuments have a more thin-than-usual plastic coating directly on top of the lacquer plating (factory standard). To get a really good plating service would cost about $300 with stripping the lacquer, but about $200 without needing to strip it.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurukid, he's talking about having it gold plated, what are you talking about??

If you have it plated, then have the plating done before the other work is done. Brass Bow or Melk or someone else of that high repute, will arrange for Anderson to plate it, then do the other interal work. Most Yamahas don't benefit much from de-stressing so I think you're right to focus on internals. After watching Wayne Tanabe at the DFW TrumpetFest perform Precision Valve Alignments on about twenty trumpets ALL with rave review, I can attest that you're likely to be very pleased with this one improvement. (I was with my almost new Concept TT. Another friend had his brand new 8335RGS PVA'd and loves it).

About the tuning slide, what are you trying to achieve? I owned a 6335HS with a rounded slide and a larger bell (it was their "Designer" series) and I found that it made the slotting more slippery. I like that and chose that, but if you already like the blow of the horn, then you may actually find that a step backwards. I WILL change the blow. If you want it to feel a little more open and untighten the slotting, then you'll likely like it, but otherwise it could be a mistake.

Please give us a report when your done. I hope it adds new life to an old friend and makes you a happier player.

Dave
Blancolate
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was over at the Yamaha Artist location in Manhattan a couple of weeks ago. They have in in-house shop with all new equipment. I am not sure what kind of work they could do there for you but it is probably worth checking out.. I would do the valve alighnment with Reeves.
miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well fellow trumpeters. I would like the blow of the horn a bit more open, hense the rounded slide option. Also, the notes do slot a little to tight for me. The gold plating is needed due to the high acid in my sweat, I eat through silver. Also, my natrural tone a bright, great for lead work, but I want a more "phat" sound.

I have talked to Charlie Melk via email and think he would be the man for this job, just need to get some more specifics and save some money.

Another "problem" is today I played a Vintage one horn and man did it sing. This is the second time I have encountered the V1, and had my horn to play right next to it. It was a very close match. I am not sure since I was in a small practice room, but with the rounded slide on the V1 it played very nice and had a huge sound.

Im not one to go wanting a "new horn" just because. I was a band director for several years and constantly gave advice to my kids about horns. I guess Im a come back player in a way. Decisions decisions!!!

Thanks for the input. Anyone gone from a Xeno to a V1??
ustacouldplay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the good thing about a new slide is that it is 100% reversible. So is the PVA, for that matter, but I've only heard one anecdotal reference to anyone ever not liking the effects.

As for solder removal and gap adjustment, I would leave them for absolutely last (except for plating) as these things could totally leave you with a horn that you hate and can never get "right" again.

For the plating, whatever floats your boat, I guess. If you want gold and have to money, knock yourself out. But I would definitely have any plating done last. Boyd Coddington doesn't start a frame-off hot-rod restoration with a paint job!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes these after market tinkering with horns reminds me of those high-end pickup trucks I see around my neighborhood in which the owner has taken a stock truck of some sort and added on all sorts of expensive stuff like special paint, wheels, changed the wheelbase, and on and on. After it's all said and done the guy still just has a pickup truck.

Larry
WFUnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miles71:

Charlie Melk did everything you asked about for your Xeno on my Kanstul 1503, minus a new slide, for a very reasonable price. I ended up going with a brushed gold finish. My Kanstul now plays much better and looks better too! Once you figure out which horn you're going to keep, Charlie can probably make it play even better! I don't see how valve alignment, gap adjustment, and excess solder removal can be considered trumpet "voodoo" when the difference between a ML and L bore horn is only around .004", yet valve alignment alone can be off by more than that. These custom options might not make a bad horn play well, but they definately made my already good-playing Kanstul play better, but as always, YMMV.

Good luck!

WFUnix
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Smithee wrote:
Sometimes these after market tinkering with horns reminds me of those high-end pickup trucks I see around my neighborhood in which the owner has taken a stock truck of some sort and added on all sorts of expensive stuff like special paint, wheels, changed the wheelbase, and on and on. After it's all said and done the guy still just has a pickup truck.

Larry

But it's a cool pickup truck!!!

Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
2ndchair
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahas quality control is typically very good.. A bit of solder can crep into any horn during factory assembly so it's worth a look anyway.

Finish work is a matter of personal taste. A gold plating job will help with the acid problem. How much it helps really depends on how harsh your body chemistry is. I would save replating for the absolute last move since the solder work could result in a burn mark even if the tech is extremely careful.

The single biggest improvement is a valve alignment. Properly done it will help intonation problems and give you the best chance of a consistent blow throughout the register. Bob Reeves has done a lot of horns over the years with outstanding results.

All the tricks won't replace a lot of quality practice time but they will certainly help make a good trumpet into a great one.

Let us know how it comes out!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: