• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul Monette Copies

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swingintrpt wrote:
cmcdougall wrote:
I just can't beleive that the kanstul company would blatantly copy another mans design to the point of even calling them pranas, this says very little to me about the kanstul company and shows me that they are just copiers, like a lot of other trumpet manufacturers they are just copiers not innovators.
Collin McDougall

Bro:

Before you get too into throwing stones....the B3 is a Bach 1 1/2 C. Everyone copies, and everyone borrows. It's the way the world works. The Bach Strad is a French Besson. The new Yammies are vintage Bachs. Just chill back.

Whoa whoa whoa....

Monette's are not the same as Bach's - not even in size. A B3 will behave like a 1 1/2 C. That's all.
RichN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about send it (insured!) to GR or one of the other small, high-tech mouthpiece makers and ask them to scan and reproduce it? I'm sure this would be cheaper than getting another Monette. They will be able to reproduce the mouthpiece to within a micron or two, I can't imagine you'd be able to tell the difference (in feel) between the copy and the real thing.

Rich.
B4player
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to Kanstul copying Monettes mouthpieces I think it really isn't an issue. I played on a Kastul M series B4S and it worked great until I could afford another real monette at the time. Kanstul uses a different type of brass than monette does, and I have also heard that monette aneals there mouthpieces. For me, the real thing just sounded way better. There were more overtones present, and intonation was slightly inproved. Also, the Kanstul was tooled very poorly. There was a spiral gash running up the bore.

Oh, as for the monette sizes being just like bach just use Kanstuls moutpiece comparator, and you'll see that this is just not the case.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swingintrpt wrote:
cmcdougall wrote:
I just can't beleive that the kanstul company would blatantly copy another mans design to the point of even calling them pranas, this says very little to me about the kanstul company and shows me that they are just copiers, like a lot of other trumpet manufacturers they are just copiers not innovators.
Collin McDougall

Bro:

Before you get too into throwing stones....the B3 is a Bach 1 1/2 C. Everyone copies, and everyone borrows. It's the way the world works. The Bach Strad is a French Besson. The new Yammies are vintage Bachs. Just chill back.

Yes you are correct. People do get ideas from other makers. Mr. Bach did not promote his line of trumpets as a copy. People tried them and liked them. He sold them on their own merits.

Mr. Kanstul on the other hand took Monettes idea and his name and used it. I would never do business with Mr. Kanstul. I am sure that people have had good experiences but just the fact that he is stealing from Mr. Monette is reason for me not to buy from him.
Fado
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Kanstul is just trying to indirectly demonstrate how much of a rip off Monette is...

As far as Monette mouthpieces being made especially for you..
What kind of crack are you smokin..They are made for whoever wants to buy them..
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my understanding Kanstul had people send them there own mouthpieces for Kanstul to copy. Do you really think Kanstul would spend that kind of money just to copy mouthpieces? I think not. They list the Monette's as M B3. Osman music also has Monette copies.... like was said, everyone copies something. Kanstul is a great company and make great products... horns (maybe you own one) and mouthpieces. Everyone has copied Bach mouthpieces... including Monette... I don't here and grief towards them. I know they mixed things up a little but still basically the same.
My .02
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn

Last edited by DCB1 on Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fado
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed... I happen to like Monette and kanstul or any other good brand... I just think that monette is a rip off...Money wise...
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thatleadguy wrote:
swingintrpt wrote:
cmcdougall wrote:
Collin McDougall

Bro:

Whoa whoa whoa....

Monette's are not the same as Bach's - not even in size. A B3 will behave like a 1 1/2 C. That's all.

The rim and cup are based on a Bach Mt. Vernon 1 1/2 C. Even without such new technology as the Kanstul comparator, I can tell you without a doubt that my Monette B3 feels more like a Bach Mt. Vernon 1 1/2 C than do the new elkhart models.
Palestrina
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish Monette would come out with a $1000 Prana II mouthpiece. Then I'd know I'm really playing a good one and will have great range, tone, and response...until the $1200 mouthpiece (Prana III) comes out.
cmcdougall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fado no one has ever said that monette mouthpieces are personalized for a player, they make standard sizes and if none of these work for you then they will help you decide on a design that will and if you think their equipment is such a rip off then cool, no one is forcing you to buy into it i just dont see why monette gets such a hard rap around here its like people either love it or hate it.
Palestrina
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quite possibly the coolest run-on sentence I have ever seen!

Buy a Kanstul if you want. No one will notice in marching band, and you probably won't either. You might even save a few bucks, too, and wind up getting a Monette or two down the road. Good luck!

Last edited by Palestrina on Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
DCB1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette is a great company and so is Kanstul. They both make great products... buy the ones you like best.

We kinds got off track of what the original poster asked... he said he was getting a Kanstul M for marching.... all is good.
Curry
Bach
Selmer Radial
Kanstul
Holton
Amati
Conn
marty_seshul
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone knows that Blessing copies Bach mouthpieces almost exactly, and has the same size naming system. I'm pretty sure that no where on the Kanstul site will you find a statement saying "we copy monette mouthpieces".

it's the same issue between Blessing and Bach and between Kanstul and Monette, just that the latter is on a higher price level
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
King student model
7, 5, mega5, 3, mega 3, C
belagozzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have Used a Monette B2 since 1998 and love it...and use a Schilke/Warburton 6a4/KT Series 80 with 21 Troat for the Last 11 years now...I am thinkin about buying the Monette Prana BL4, but..I find myself delaying the purchase due to the fact that it runs $300.

I have been thinkin about buying a Kanstul Copy, to maybe get an IDEA..of what the Monette would be like...and its also alot cheaper than $300.

Before my Use of Monette in 98..I was a Die Hard Warburton User...Then finally moved to Monette because it was working better for me...Some day, I may Leave Monette for the next thing that might work better...The reason why you ask....I am not LOYAL to Monette or any other Brand, but I am LOYAL to the Mouthpiece that works for me, Whether its Monette or the Plastic Mouthpieces.
Bach NY 6 (1920s)
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1(Burbank)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: