• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 12B Gets Me In Trouble--Sortta!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dick S
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:20 am    Post subject: Conn 12B Gets Me In Trouble--Sortta!!!! Reply with quote

This is sort of long but it may be worth it if you are a certified sicko

I was recruited for a pretty damn good community band (don't have the wildest idea why they wanted me) a few months ago by the conductor (a high school school teacher).

I showed up with my old Nova 33 before restoration as I didn't want to be the over the hill comebacker guy that came in as Mr. Big Shot with my '70 Strad. This was before I got into this thing & got my Kanstuls & caught the dreaded "radiobob" virus.

I was welcomed by a real jerk in the section that told me who I should & shouldn't get to know and that if I wanted to play with them I'd better get a new trumpet. This is a guy that insisted in sitting with the 2 lead players even they didn't want him.

After the first rehearsal I was invited to sit with the 2 regular leads and every one is loose & we get along great except for you know who.

After catching the dreaded "radiobob" virus I have showed up with a number of different horns including my Conn 22B before restoration.

This particular individual informs me that I should quit screwing around with a bunch of old stuff and get a good new horn like his. He plays a beautiful new Winston.

Finally the story--
After showing up with my 22B I get my 12B Coprion which Mr Jerk has never seen.
I have a neighbor who owns an auto body shop. He makes out a fake invoice for $600 for work done on a Conn 22B:
Cutting off bell of trumpet w/cutting torch.
Removing dents from it.
Re-welding bell to trumpet.
Painting it metal flake "candy apple" red with 10 coats of lacquer.

Are you starting to get the picture? Everyone is in on this except Mr. Jerk.
I show up at next to last rehearsal & the top lead asks if I got the work done on my 22B Conn. I pull my 12B out of the case with the invoice and while those who are in on this are oooohing & aaahing Mr. Jerk goes ballistic. He is thinkin' that I took my 22B to the body shop for $600.

Fast foreward 2 weeks.
Next rehearsal Mr. Jerk ain't there. He realizes he's been had.
The section along about 10 others go hit the local pub. Ol' Dick couldn't buy all night. A lot of unhappy wives that had to come & drive their hubbies home.
old geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling - about 10 years ago we had a jerk show up in a band I played in who knew everything about trumpets and his was better then everybodies. I was playing the first part and he wanted to know what I was playing (Schilke S32), since my horn had no markings on the bell I told him I ordered from a catalouge for $100. I bought it because it was shiney. He checked out my horn but never looked at valve cluster, the next rehearsal I told him the truth and the rest of the section had a good laugh. He never showed up again. old geezer Dave
Yamaha Mike Vax 450573
Yamaha 231 Flugel 15383
Olds Amb. Cornet 50734
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: