• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds Super Recording Trumpet Vs Olds Super or Olds Recording

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, a very good read! 2 large cups of Community Dark Roast while reading and I'm ready to hit the practice room!

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 wrote:
2 large cups of Community Dark Roast while reading and I'm ready to hit the practice room!

So, nothing like going first class, huh Mike?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee commentary, just a warning.

I'm not a big coffee guy, but years ago I had two daughter's working at an area Starbucks. One of their co-workers was trying to gain some store credit, so he offered a special session of coffee tasting to the public. My girls didn't think many were going to show up, so they asked me to attend. Bear in mind, I'm not really into coffee, and if you're a Sbux person you know they have some strong stuff. The guy started off by pouring us some Community Coffee, and I tried it thinking, 'Hey, this isn't bad!' The brew was then soundly mocked and ridiculed as having no flavor, and a Starbucks semi-strong cup was introduced as a much superior alternative. I flinched as I drank it. Then they progressed to the really strong stuff. I wanted to bolt, run out, scream with my hands up, 'No Mas!!!', but they kept introducing more coffee - yet stronger, '...And this blend is from a small island in the middle of the Pacific that has had a history of strong earthquakes. You'll note the strong flavor has a hint of earthiness to it...' What, had we transferred to a wine tasting?? Finally, thank God, the coffee tasting ended; I was thrilled to leave with my taste-buds (barely) intact. When I got home, my darling girls asked me, 'How was it, Dad??' I slowly responded, 'If anything, I'm a Community Coffee guy.'

Now for a bit on Olds... The vavle action of my Super Recording was absolutely tremendous, as was its overall playing. Gotta say though, a Mendez that I had felt very similar. When Olds put their best craftsmen on their premium horns, they produced some truly memorable results. Overall, an Olds horn is a fine instrument, but their premier models can still be truly impressive.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason most people don't even know that Starbucks coffee tasted like road base that's had hot water poured over it, is that their customers don't even like coffee, but prefer a hot breakfast milkshake.

Real coffee, especially if you prefer it fully leaded and no cream or sugar [or carmel sauce, or marshmallows, or pumpkin spice, or whatever other crap people add to it), is the furthest thing from that awful garbage Starbucks charges 10X more than it's worth.

Now back to trumpets...
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I have had Austrian, German, French and Italian coffee in their countries of origin and, while Starbucks is not my favourite coffee, I can, nevertheless, say:

Starbucks is to Folgers
as
Lowenbrau is to Miller

Not a huge fan of Starbucks. Back here in the east we have Dunkin Donuts. Given a choice between them I choose Starbucks. For getting coffee out in my area the best is McDonalds for my tastebuds. I haven't had it in ages but they used to serve Paul Newman's Organic. Really good.
I usually grind my own combining a dark roast with a medium roast. Their both organic and shade grown. Got to protect the aina. Get them at Costco..
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have three OLDS Recordings: one from each era of manufacturing, My impression was the early iteration (not certain of the year) was the better horn,

Subsequently, I acquired an early Super-Recording.
Sold all three Recordings,
Still have the Super-Recording.

On-the-other-hand, my "Numero UNO" is a beat-up, pre-War French Besson, with leaky valves, and several patches, scant original lacquer.
(There are several #3-bore Martin Committees in my studio, also, that do occasionally get played).

Go figure

stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good coffee is quite a treat. I tend to always water down my coffee because otherwise my cafeïne intake would be way too high. The upside is that with enough water, any coffee becomes drinkable. Yet I do enjoy a good espresso, or a strong cup of tea. When I visited Florida a few years ago, I was surprised to learn that in the USA coffee places sold espresso's as a 'side dish' to those milk and sugar infused jumbo cups. Definitely a culture clash there .

The article about Recordings is a fun read indeed. My own Recording is such a joy to play, that I can hardly imagine something playing even better. Once had the chance to play a Super Recording and foolishly (or smartly?) decided not to try it. I was worried that if it indeed turned out to be as magical as the article describes it, I would have bought it on the spot regardless of the price (and I could not have afforded it back then). I've regretted that decision, as Super Recordings are rather rare here.

But I'm happy with my 1975 Recording nonetheless. In good condition, Olds horns are great players indeed.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have learned a lot about coffee today, as I sip on whatever I put in our Keurig this morning. Jonathan, thank you for sharing that wonderful story of the torment you endured at a...Sbux! Now I know how to abbreviate that name!

Please read my further comments in this thread…

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1687291#1687291

Last edited by dstpt on Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
I hope to post pictures when all is done. Stay tuned!

Please do! Sounds like a very interesting project.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:

I love the hand hammered look of these bells. Please let us know how the horns plays as well.
Ron
Martin Committee #2 1954
Leblanc “Al Hirt” Model 1966
Olds Custom Crafted Ultra Sonic 1974
Edwards Gen II 2014
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
dstpt wrote:

Please do! Sounds like a very interesting project.

Ronnman wrote:
dstpt wrote:

I love the hand hammered look of these bells. Please let us know how the horns plays as well.
Ron

Please read my follow-up comments in this thread…

Last edited by dstpt on Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:51 am; edited 1 time in total
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:

Anyway, I picked up another excellent Recording from a guy in "O, Canada," and met up with a brass tech south of Ft. Worth this summer to do something adventurous with it. He talked about hand-peened bells–especially copper bells–will bring out a wonder of richness and overtones in the sound, so I'm going that route. He aims to get to that project in the next month or so.

A few weeks ago, I also did buy an Olds Super bell from Clay at Centex Brass and had it shipped to the tech in the Ft. Worth area. Clay had this bell for sale from a salvage from a Super that had seen better days, so to speak. The plan is to make this an interchangeable bell horn. The tech will remove the existing bell made of Rey-O-Loy (Olds' heavy copper, rose brass material), hand peen it on a bell mandrel, and use the Super bell (not hand-peened) as a secondary bell.

I will be very interested to hear how this turns out. I don't think a Super bell will fit a Recording body. The balanced design of the Recording and Super Recording means that the bell has a longer tail than a plain Super.

I had a Recording made in the 1970's. I inherited a Recording made in the LA factory. It plays more like my SR. It would be very interesting to put a Super bell on this older Recording.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike ansberry wrote:
...I will be very interested to hear how this turns out. I don't think a Super bell will fit a Recording body. The balanced design of the Recording and Super Recording means that the bell has a longer tail than a plain Super.

I had a Recording made in the 1970's. I inherited a Recording made in the LA factory. It plays more like my SR. It would be very interesting to put a Super bell on this older Recording.

We'll see what kind of attachment the guy does with the custom changeable bell connection. Allowances would have to be taken into effect, I guess, for pretty much any other bell you'd put on a Recording.

Last edited by dstpt on Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Man Of Constant Sorrow
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this thread seems to be morphing into "other areas" (not so unusual, actually) ... I shall proffer my OLDS/bell-swapping experience/experiment.

I put a Reynolds rose-brass Contempora bell on an OLDS Pinto.
Fit is perfect, and the horn plays and sounds great !
To keep it more "in the family", I am thinking of putting that Contempora bell on a Pinto stablemate: a Reynolds Ranger.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please read my comments regarding modification of an Olds Recording in this thread…

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: