• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Rotary flugel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sooner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Rotary flugel Reply with quote

Since I am a student I am looking for a solid yet cheap flugel. The Cervany rotary flugel at WWBW seems to be a good deal and I've heard good things about it. The only problem is that about all I've heard about it is that it is a solid horn for the money.

Can someone who is played one comment a little more about the characterists of the horn. One main concern I have with mid range rotary valve instruments is that the linkage tends to be noisy. Does this horn suffer from that problem?

Proffessional poker dealer/player (helps support my music habit) and trumpet player of the Octopi.

Now a synth junkie as well
old geezer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I went on a Fugal safari and in one of our ventures we spent a day at wwbw. I asked several times to try the flugal you mentioned but the guy who gets the horns for you wouldn't do it. He said they had to many problems with them and they were very fragile. I am 55 yr. old and consider myself pretty easy on my equipment so I asked again to try it, he just said not to bother it was cheaply made and doesn't hold up. I also wanted to try the V1 and Kanstul flugal but they couldn't find any. We were ready to buy 2 flugals if we found one we liked so that we would match in our quintet and praise band. It will be a long time before we waste a day and travel up there again. old geezer Dave
Yamaha Mike Vax 450573
Yamaha 231 Flugel 15383
Olds Amb. Cornet 50734
E.D.Lewis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the Cervany flugels but check out this one on the horn trader site - http://www.horntrader.com/showpix3.asp?ItemCode=3284 I don't know anything about this particular horn either, but I played a horn that looked just like this one all through University and I absolutely loved it. It had a beautiful sound and the valve action was fantastic. Send Steve - the HornTrader - an email and ask him about this horn. For $700 you can't go too wrong.
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That style is called a Kuhlo horn and was played by jazz great Wilbur Harden on the recordings he did with John Coltrane.

"I'm not apologizing, I am what I am. There'll be no compromising, I don't give a damn."
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of rotories;I don't need another flugel, but I was just wondering about this one. I wouldn't mind have a rotory flugel, just to have it though.

Some Flugelhorn
Horatio Hornblower
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm selling my Cerveny Rotary Flugel in the Marketplace section under Flugel horns. Check it out.
turnbostl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Cerveny rotary valve flugel from wwbw and sent it back after a few months. The rotary valves WERE noisy. The action of one of the valves seemed off. I felt fortunate that wwbw was willing to take it back. You'd be better off finding a good quality used flugel.
Horatio Hornblower
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, my cerveny's rotaries do not play "loud", unless they remain un lubricated for a time. For the money, it is a fine horn. I bought it when I thought I would be joining a Balkan brass band. That didn't happen, so I'm selling it since I don't use it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: