• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

John D'earth

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: John D'earth Reply with quote

Anybody familiar with this cat's work? I just got his cd, One Bright Glance and on the ENJA label, at the used bin here locally. Best $4 dollars I've spent in a while. The guy is a MONSTER player. D'earth is a great example of a player who can play in and outside the changes with effortless ease. D'earth sounds to me like Mike Stern, if Stern played the trumpet. The 6 numbers on the program are all D'earth originals, with the exception of the standard 'Secret Love'. If you're into hardcore jazz without the commercial gimmickry you need get this cd. Apparently this is D'earth's debut cd. I know he's recorded at least one other recording. I'm now on a search for that one too. The quartet also includes John Abercrombe on guitar and synth. D'earth gets my highest recommendation despite the single disappointment of there being only approximately 38 minuets of music on the cd. But then it did only cost me $4.

Larry
steve_fenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am fortunate enough to live relatively near John, and I can tell you that there is genuinely nobody like him. He is not just an amazing trumpeter, he is a really great guy as well. He is also a tireless educator, having held jobs at several universities in Virginia and presented several clinics. This is all in addition to all the playing he does in the Richmond/Charlottesville area.
All in all, we here in Richmond are very fortunate...on a given night, you stand a good chance of hearing John or Rex Richardson tearing it up. We have a LOT of talented musicians that nobody has heard of, and a few that you will hear about soon enough. The scene is a good one for learning...the more experienced guys are always willing to help the younger players.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,
Thanks for the information. I didn't realize that D'earth was living and working in Richmond. My wife is from Richmond and has family there so I travel to that city with here with some frequency. I would love to catch D'earth playing sometime in the future. Where does he often perform in that city?

Larry
steve_fenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The better bet to catch him is in Charlottesville, as he lives there and teaches at the University of Virginia. I can look around and see if he is performing in Richmond again in the near future.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Steve.

Larry
TaylorBarnett80
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a good friend of John's and a "former" student. In fact last year on my graduate recital, the second half of the concert was all tunes by John (including the 1st track from One Bright Glance) and he came and played with the band (which was mostly guys that play in his goup). He is one of the greatest jazz musicians alive and is a dedicated teacher. To see the joy with which he interacts with players of all ages is so humbling. Live is the best way to hear him and as Steve said, Miller's in Charlottesville is where his band plays most often.

An interesting fact about the One Bright Glance CD is that it was recorded in an afternoon where each track is the first and only take. John Abercrombie and Marc Johnson are literally sight reading. John knew each of the guys individually but they had never played as a group before that day.

Many people don't know that he is responsible for putting the Dave Matthews Band together. Dave was the bartender at Miller's and John told him he should start playing the tunes he was writing on the guitar. John introduced Dave to Carter Beauford and Leroi Moore. He even did the string writing on Crash. The DMB considers John their biggest influence musically.

Forgive me for rambling, I love to talk about John because he is one of the biggest influences on me musically and personally.

Something he said to me recently floored me: "Man, I'm so excited because I feel like I'm just starting to figure out this music thing." This coming from a man in his 50's who has played with Miles Davis, Tito Puente, Buddy Rich, Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra, Bob Moses, Bruce Hornsby, etc...

Talk about humble!

Taylor
thatleadguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first heard of John D'earth when he recorded with the Dave Matthews Band. You should read the things Dave Matthews has said about him...WOW!
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say that I have met John Dearth a few times and he is a very nice cat. Great player as well. But I would just like to say that the post by Taylor Barnett, Everyone in the trumpetherald should check him out. He is one of the best soloist I have ever played with. When I was getting my masters he played 2nd in the big band and I was playin 3rd. I was blown away!!! This cat sounds just like John Dearth!!! If any of ya'll get to Virginia you should check both of them out!!!!!!!!!!
TaylorBarnett80
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
How are you? I'm glad to see you posting here. Thanks for the kind words man (though I'm not sure I deserve them )

Taylor
isler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor,

I have heard alot of good things about you the past year. I am still playin at busch gardens, just livin the dream. Good to know you are still around the area. How are things at VCU? I am playin in the Army reserve band in Richmond now good gig for retirement. Ok man keep in touch. If you ever need any ticket to busch gardens just let me know.
mike
McH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just resurrecting this thread to give a heads-up on a new, long overdue, recording by John D'earth.
It's called "Coin Of The Realm" and details and soundbites are available at www.bandcamp.com and www.marlbank.net -- sounds great!
peanuts56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a name I haven't in ages. Heard him live a few times with Bruce Hornsby back in the 90's. Really good player. Hornsby's live shows always left a lot of room for the band to stretch out. Bruce likes to be spontaneous when playing live. Guys in the band need to be on their toes. One of the shows he was vamping out at the end of a song and without warning launched into Under The Boardwalk. Knew it wasn't planned because Bruce couldn't recall the words to the 2nd verse.
ccarver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject: John D’earth Reply with quote

I was fortunate to study with John at VCU in the mid 1990s and agree with all of the above. I was probably one of the worst trumpet students he ever had but he taught me a lot about trying to be a good human being (in addition to music). Coin of the Realm is a great album and Live at Millers is an amazing portrait of his working band and the high level they were playing at in the 1990s. Remember this was in Charlottesville VA not NYC. IMO John deserves to be mentioned in the same sentences as Tom Harrell, Dave Douglas and other top players on the instrument. He writes some great tunes, too.

This is a nice profile of him in the local Charlottesville newsweekly from several years ago:

https://www.c-ville.com/john-dearth-trumpet-player/

Can’t say enough good things about John. He deserves and has earned nothing but the highest accolades. If you can get by Millers on a Thursday night, treat yourself to some great music. Also, Coin of the Realm and some of his other albums are on Apple Music and other streaming platforms, check them out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: