• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tommy....Can ya come out an play?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Tommy....Can ya come out an play? Reply with quote

Tom!!!
I just found the shabbest looking but actually pretty good sounding "road-rage Besson.
This one has really been hammered and just to think that I actually thought that my old stolen one was a beater.

Any ideas on this one:
It is an old Besson student model straight cornet with the serial #332681 made in England.
The bell has only an angled note with the word Besson running across the middle and in the lower note is the word "Stratford" on the old bent and beat up bell.
The middle valve brace is broken and banded to the bell with two plastic electrical tie straps.
The valves are actually pretty nice looking with very little wear and best of all.... It actually has a pretty good mellow voice.
HOWEVER,
I haven't had the nerve to show it to any repair facility to have them solder the brace-----at least this should give them a good laugh. Carol was very upset when I washed the years of old musties out of the horn in her new sink. She can not believe that I was sooooooooooo darned HARD UP to find an old Cornet so bad that I would actually pay $25.00 to the old second hand store peddler in South Tacoma Way. He wanted $75.00 for it at first. He said that it wouldn't play because he thought there was something stuck down in the tubing somewhere....(I didn't have the heart to tell him that it was just one of the valves that was inserted incorrectly...so I guess with that in mind???????
BOTTOM LINE:
I don't know whether he or I got the best deal n' allthathatjazz.....and best of all........ "What happened to my "Do unto others before the do-do unto you?>>>> Hummm? Ah my sin nature!!!!
I assure you that NO ONE WOULD EVER BE LED INTO SIN BY THE TEMPTATION TO STEAL THIS PIECE OF !@#$%from my "wheel-borrown'pick-up truck.

Speaking of doin'unto others, Tom.....WHAT'S HAPPENING WITH PRAISE AND WORSHIP, LATELY.....MY GOOD BROTHA-THOMAS???????
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Glad to hear you found a prospective replacement for the now AWOL
beater cornet. How's about's posting a photo or three of this one?

Paul
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,

Well . . . there ya go screwin' some poor businessman out of 2/3rds of his anticipated loot. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!!!! . . .

Oh well . . . ya didn't earn the name BAD BOY by playin' N - I - C - E

That ol' beater, orphan, Besson sounds like it finally found a home where it will receive some TLC.

Actually, in retail the definition of a "Good Deal" is what BOTH the sell AND the buyer are happy with the price. In this case, I really suspect this was the case!

To ease yore poor old conscience consider this, . . . that poor schmuck of a pawn shop owner probably ALSO felt bad about selling that old horn for more'n a BUCK anyway! He probably needed money for lunch.

I hope retirement is going great for you . . . and I've been really sick about your cornet-less condition for quite a while now. Heck . . . I almost simply mailed you one of my Boston 3-Stars as a gift!* I'm glad you can once again toot again on a sweet cornet . . . and relieved about having to give away that 1911 3-Star!

Warmest regards,

Tom

* Note: Just kiddin' 'bout givin' away the Boston . . . then again, you knew I wasn't QUITE that crazy!

PS: Here's a photo of my 3-Star I've written so much about in the past:
Shaker
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooo... aaaaahhhh...
NewYork 43

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my "beater cornet"

BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Note: Just kiddin' 'bout givin' away the Boston . . . then again, you knew I wasn't QUITE that crazy!

PS: Here's a photo of my 3-Star I've written so much about in the past:

ARRRRRRRGH! Tom!!!!! TALK ABOUT BAD-BOYS!!!!
Naturally.....U jest about sending that beloved and anointed 3 star of yours---------------------but talk about temptation for the ol' tired eyes.....shame on you Tom!!!!! Coveting thy neighbors wife is one thing but for this old demented BADBOY!!!! Equally is great the sin....after I saw that beautiful photo of that beautiful cornet that you attached to the E mail. (NOT ALL IS WASTED...by beloved brotha-Thomas!!!!! That gift is now at least---------A MOST BEAUTIFUL SCREEN SAVER!!!!
THANKS FOR THE "ALMS N' BALMS" THAT CALMS THAT SIC' SICK JAZZOID SOUL OF MINE!!!!!

I worked with that old cornet today.....but still need a nice deep V-cup mouthpiece to replace that old Besson mouthpiece that was stolen. I miss that old cookie-cutter sound almost as much as I do that old departed CrookSov.
Bottom line: This new $25.00 Besson just doesn't belong to my soul and body like that old horn. (I truly think in some ways that these old horns that we used as tools to adore and praise....some how seem to become more than just a plain old piece of brass plumbing shaped into the likes of a musical instrument? This horn just seems surleeeeee' or nasty....or just plain soul-less. This horn needs lots of love and adoration time, run through those old musty pipes for a while. Maybe???? Just perhaps.....this old masher of a horn will begin to take on a new light from above....?????????hummmm

Thanks for the concern.....but the search for a better quality cornet still goes on. Opportunity or a blessing will ocurr when we least expect it....so far, it matters not----- At my age....I count my blessings every day that our master has allowed me health and facilities enough to keep on playing such a demanding musicial instrument and truthfully....I can both hear the feel the test of time on this old temple. But hey....wait till we get to the other side and one can only imagine just how great we'll all look and play again....pain free and no limit to our range or talent n'allthatjazz.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW 43.......
SHAME, SHAME ON YOU........THAT IS ONE BEAUTIFUL GAGGLE OF BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS.....
THANKS....FOR LETTING MY SPIRIT SOAR!!!!!!
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice old 3-Star, NY43! Lot's of extra "chicken scratchin's" shore dew make it purdy!!!

Here are my two, you guys just made me whip out the old digital camera. Sorry for the glare . . . and I haven't polished 'em in a year or so. Still . . . two wonderful, wonderful 90+ year old fixed leadpipe 3-Stars.

These two, numbers 20091 and 20349 (in foreground) were made in either 1911 or 1913, according to different reference materials. My favorite Bostons are the fixed leadpipe ones in low pitch.

"Doc" gigs on a fixed leadpipe Boston, except his is gold plated and in the beautiful full engraving option that yours has.

Here are my "twins:"

Sincerely,

Tom
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how these two totally awesome playing cornets are so similar in size, proportions and "wrap." The larger (5") bell on the Wild Thing tilts the WT down more in the photo but they two horns otherwise line up in a lot of ways . . . both the large bore Boston (.480) and the "small" bore Flip Oakes "Wild Thing" at a "measlely" .470!

They are separated by 90 years . . . yet they are sooooo close to one another in how well they play.
Tom
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must ask that y'all stop posting these pictures. Not only are they taking up a lot of sapce, but they are making me simply insane with jealousy!!!

BBD -- Great to have you back posting and tootin'! Nobody can match your style of posting...

Tom, I think that poor old 3-Star is probably feeling quite put out since you picked up your WT. I suggest you give it a nice rest, in a place with clean air, lots of sunshine -- give her a good break. Tell you what, since I feel just soooo badly for her, just go ahead at ship her out to me and I'll take care of her for a while. I've only got an old Ambassador cornet, so your 3-Star can get that superior feeling back in her. Might take a while though... No worries, I won't you charge you a thing for playing her -- errr, storing her, very protectively -- while she's here. I'll drop you my address in a PM so you can ship her right out.

Ever helpful -- Don
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman wrote:
I must ask that y'all stop posting these pictures. Not only are they taking up a lot of sapce, but they are making me simply insane with jealousy!!!
you my address in a PM so you can ship her right out.

Ever helpful -- Don
--------------------------------
I couldn't agree with you more Don....that these photos of those awesome 3 Stars are sooooooo beautifully presented.
Hummmmmmmmm??? Speaking of taking up toooooo much puterspace?

After looking at those photos......it becomes very noticable, that my old Micron 166, my snail-snarl dial-up, and worst of all, just like me...that old puter of mine, has almost no memory left enough to even display many of the photos that were taken of my art-work display at my retirement last spring.
Perhaps I had betta call DELL, get rid of my old 35mm Leica cameras and lens....and go for a pixi-pooper ditzereeedo-da-day camera?
(Any one want to trade a nice vintage cornet for a nice vintage Leica, Rolliflex.....?) Just razzin' n' jazzin!!!)

My wife watched Ophra the other eve. and it was about folks that HORD NEEDFULLY NEEDLESS THINGS!!!!!
After the show....Carol walked into my home studio, looked at all my beloved old "junk" and said it was time for me to load up the old pick-up wheel bare-row' and go to GoodWill and then to the dump, because folks at GoodWill probably would never accept this old crap, that I call "Precious" and even worse.....most of the folks that shop at Good Will, wouldn't begin to know a Lecia, from a Box Brownie.....(what the ell' is a box-brownie anyway?????)
A cookie-goody in a box????or.......neva mind!!!!

My demented mind has a very suspect image that seems very sleeeeeeeezoidal' and unacceptable.

Don H. Just by chance you could even remotely sweet talk our brother Tom into an "adoptional arrangement" LOL!! I would be more than pleased to adopt that old Ambassssie' for a period during that time.

That Olds of yours was like the very first brand-new horn that my mother bought for me when I was at Woodrow Wilson Jr. High School in DesMoines Ia. waaaaaay back in 1954. Gads!!! THAT OL' HORN STILL REMAINS IN MY HEART N' SOUL!

How's that for stamping "OL'-TOOTSTER" lable to this ol' BADBOY?
(back to my old $25.00 Bessy).....
The mouthpiece that I finally worked loose out of the lead-pipe yesterday....reads "Besson 5 Star-made in England?" This must have been the default mp. that was supplied with the horn....ala' Bach 7C?
Anyone have a cheapy deep throater' cookie cutter for sale cheap that will give me a fat-n-mellower tone? This straight cornet sounds more like a trumpet than a cornet, especially when you push the volume up a notch. For a fact, this horn projects noticably better than my old lost road-rage Besson Sov. but the downside is that it just doesn't have that warm lush thick sound.....n' no soul.

Hummmm? Guess it's time to check out www.mouthpieceexpress.com for a hot deal on a betta mouthpiece. That old Besson #5 star will have to do until a betta' one can be found.......n'allthatjazz.

Ahhhhh yes....the Starbucks coffee break is finally wearing off!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: