• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vanishing Lower Lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gms979
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Vanishing Lower Lip Reply with quote

Howdy Folks,
What a great site! I first heard about Caruso stuff from Jon Nelson at the Atlantic Brass Seminar at Tanglewood in 1999....was mildly intrigued about it, then subsequently forgot about it altogether. Long story short, I feel like my playing has been on a several year decline from where I was about halfway through college (1999 or so)....this was the result of a hodgepodge of factors that I won't even begin to bore you with! Anyways, as college progressed I noticed that my embouchure had drifted way off to the side, with my lips becoming drastically contorted in every which way.....my range had begun to drop (from an e or so - third ledger line above staff - to where it is now, maybe just a "b" or "c" 2 lines above the staff - nothing extraordinary) I ultimately decided, for better or for worse, to make a drastic embouchure change in the summer of '01, working on a "textbook embouchure" where it has since settled in nicely. This was after my Junior recital and Senior recitals which I did early....I had reached the point on my old embouchure where I very comfortably performed the Purcell Sonata, Honneger Intrada, and the Haydn on my Junior Recital and the Hummel, Artunian, Trois pas de Danse (Berthelot) and a Strauss nocturne for my senior recital. But I did feel a definite decline in my playing, and decided to swallow my pride and switch to more of a textbook embouchure. I know, I know, in many camps this would be a controversial move....I had a horrific senior year playing-wise (that would have been musical waste had I not gotten so deeply into jazz piano studies....my other "thing".....any Bill Evans, Keith Jarrett or Kenny Werner fans here????) at college, and have spent the time since then doing extensive freelance piano work, teaching beginners through intermediates on trumpet and piano, all while in brass recovery mode trying to reaquaint myself with the basics.

Not to say that I can't play and sound like an eight year old....I just have many many unfulfilled professional ambitions that really require me to take the next step.

Anyways, I've been incorporating Caruso stuff into my playing (just the first six-note exercise) for the past month or so and have a few questions for anybody who might know more than myself!!!!

1 - In general, should the mouthpiece be set while the lips are firm (in a position able to do a "free-buzz" without any mouthpiece at all) or should they be flabby and relaxed? Various people in high-profile places have recommended both ways; how does any of this apply to Caruso?

2 - Also, as I continue to ascend, my bottom lip vanishes from sight, to the point where it looks like I am, quite literally, a one-lipped player. It is almost as if my embouchure "collapses into itself." This becomes prononuced as I approach the top of the staff, and when I am approaching high c I definitely feel that my lips aren't vibrating.....almost as if they are like a piece of clay, with the mouthpiece caving in. Even though it seems chic to say that it is ok to use "some" pressure, I feel like it impedes my playing. Needless to say, my piccolo playing (which was a strong suit in the late 90's....was able to do all of the Bach excerpts except the Brandenburg) is not what it once was!

If anybody has any suggestions feel free to drop a line or respond to this post - I appreciate it!
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanishing Lower Lip Reply with quote

gms979 wrote:

1 - In general, should the mouthpiece be set while the lips are firm (in a position able to do a "free-buzz" without any mouthpiece at all) or should they be flabby and relaxed? Various people in high-profile places have recommended both ways; how does any of this apply to Caruso?

I don't think it matters too much how you set your lips when you start. They should be inside the mpc. With Caruso it will be more relevant what you do with your lips after you start playing the Six Notes then what you're doing with them before you start.

Playing music might be different. To play music I put my lips in the mpc but keep them mostly relaxed until just before the blow. Then they pretty much go on auto pilot.

gms979 wrote:

2 - Also, as I continue to ascend, my bottom lip vanishes from sight, to the point where it looks like I am, quite literally, a one-lipped player. It is almost as if my embouchure "collapses into itself." This becomes prononuced as I approach the top of the staff, and when I am approaching high c I definitely feel that my lips aren't vibrating.....almost as if they are like a piece of clay, with the mouthpiece caving in.

Caruso calisthenics will resolve all of this without you having to do anything willful to your embouchure or think about anything to be done.

Read the Four Rules carefully and follow them to the letter while practicing the CC calisthenics. Use only breath attacks while doing Caruso. Browse this forum for tips and answers to questions that you may have.

Very Important! Do NOT apply anything about the manner in which you practice CC to any other kind of playing. Play music and other non CC material exactly as you always do and forget about anything that your embouchure is doing or anything about the way it looks. If you're using a mirror, one simple act will contribute greatly to improving your playing ... lose it.

Last edited by _bugleboy on Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Vanishing Lower Lip Reply with quote

gms979 wrote:

Don't do anything special. Set the mouthpiece the way you would if you were getting ready to play a piece of music. After that just follow the Four Rules.

Remember, don't apply the Four Rules to other playing, only to Caruso. In time, the changes in your other playing will show up unbidden as a result of your Caruso practice.

Quote:
...Anyways, I've been incorporating Caruso stuff into my playing (just the first six-note exercise) for the past month or so...

...2 - Also, as I continue to ascend, my bottom lip vanishes from sight, to the point where it looks like I am, quite literally, a one-lipped player. It is almost as if my embouchure "collapses into itself." This becomes prononuced as I approach the top of the staff, and when I am approaching high c I definitely feel that my lips aren't vibrating.....almost as if they are like a piece of clay, with the mouthpiece caving in. Even though it seems chic to say that it is ok to use "some" pressure, I feel like it impedes my playing.

So, I gather that you aren't really following the "Getting Started" schedule or working from the MCFB book. True? Therefore, when you talk about your "vanishing lower lip" and your use of "excessive mouthpiece pressure" you are talking about something that occurs during regular playing, not practicing Caruso. True?

If these things happen during practice of CC calisthenics and you are following the Four Rules you should totally ignore your "problems". The calisthenic practice will adjust everything that needs to be adjusted in your embouchure. All you have to do is do the exercises every day and follow the rules.

If these things are bothering you because they are happening in your regular playing, the best thing I can tell you to do is to get the MCFB book, go to the "Getting Started" thread, and get going on the entire program immediately. This will eventually answer all your questions and the problems you describe will eventually vanish.

If you work your way through the program outlined by Charly in "Getting Started" you will find that over time you use far less pressure and your embouchure no longer collapses. This is a result. Pressure and your vanishing lower lip are not problems. They are symptoms that are a result of inefficiency and imbalance in your muscles while playing. As you work your way through MCFB you will find that your playing evolves in such a way that these symptoms vanish. You will cure the root of the problem by systematic calisthenic practice of MCFB following the Four Rules.
gms979
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pat and Charly, for being so on the ball with answering my questions and pointing me in the right direction!

My two primary teachers of the past decade or so, both high profile people in the Baltimore/DC area have been exceedingly helpful in helping me get to the point where I am now and have nothing but the highest respect for both of them....but am very much at the point where I feel like the playing problems I have can best be fixed by a very focused and physically oriented approach like Caruso, and neither of them are qualified to teach the system (one of them actually called it "poison" when I asked about it!!!! Whatever works best, I guess!!!) The whole approach seems to fit my temperament and my learning style the best, plus the people I've run into who are fans of the system have always had ultra-efficient embouchures and an ease of playing that I have always envied. Even though its only been a few days since your responses, I've gotten myself on the program and had 2 outstanding practice sessions today (incorporating 5 or so minutes of Caruso into each one) and am beginning to feel something positive going on.

My question is about the schedule....what is the reason for limiting yourself to just the six notes in week one, followed by the seconds for week two, etc. Is there danger in doing multiple exercises (six notes, seconds, minor 7ths, harmonic scale, and sls seconds) as given by Charly in a previous post....a schedule he said would be appropriate after week 7? Or is the point to gradually evolve your muscle responses in a more efficient direction, taking every precaution not to rock the boat with regular playing? Can an entire session be spent on just Caruso, or is healthiest to mix in normal playing during that session as well?

Also, I know in MCFB Caruso states that it doesn't matter if the lips are wet or dry. Initially (1995-2001) I had a dry top lip and bottom wet lip (when I felt my range and playing were at its peak 5 or so years ago) then in 2001 switched to completely wet (which threw my playing into the tailspin from hell) and since 2002 I've been completely dry (which has been more than satisfactory). Tried to switch back to the dry/wet combo of the late 90's briefly in '02 but it never clicked again, so I made it work successfully with all dry (I know you're rolling your eyes by now!!!) Any opinions or personal preferences on this? Does anybody know if any big names play dry (I've heard that Doc and Rolf do, anybody else?)

Thanks again for your time and help, guys - you do a great service!
Greg
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gms979 wrote:
My question is about the schedule....what is the reason for limiting yourself to just the six notes in week one, followed by the seconds for week two, etc. Is there danger in doing multiple exercises (six notes, seconds, minor 7ths, harmonic scale, and sls seconds) as given by Charly in a previous post....a schedule he said would be appropriate after week 7? Or is the point to gradually evolve your muscle responses in a more efficient direction, taking every precaution not to rock the boat with regular playing? Can an entire session be spent on just Caruso, or is healthiest to mix in normal playing during that session as well?

You are exactly right. There is no hurry to work your way through the exercises. Eventually you will get through them all. Meanwhile, it is no sense putting your chops through the trauma of adding new demands before you have adjusted to the present set of demands. Note that this does not mean that you have to be playing the exercises "successfully" before you move on. We are to let go of such evaluation when doing CC practice. However, a minimum of one week (and probably a maximum of one month) of daily practice for each lesson in Charly's "Getting Started" schedule allows your body to adjust to the new demands. Then you can move on. You will eventually review all the intervals anyway once you reach the chart in lesson 15 (or thereabouts).

Also, remember that Caruso practice is not meant to replace any other drills or routines that you are currently doing. CC is something that you add onto your current work and will enhance any other approach you are presently having success with.

I have almost always done my CC practice as a separate session (or two) At some stages in my development it was the very first thing I played every day. Then I would take a break and come back as if I was starting my day, knowing that my CC practice was like putting money in the bank. At other times I found that it was helpful to do a warm-up and bit of light playing first (some leadpipe, longtones, Clarkes...) before I hit the CC. This was particularly good if I was in a stage of my life where i was doing a lot of hard playing. The non-CC warm-up helped me get my chops loosened up and reduce the swelling and trauma from the beating of the night before. Carmine said to never do the exercises on tired, swollen, or stiff chops. This increases the chance of manipulating the chops to get results.

Don't overdo CC practice. Once (or maybe twice at the most) per day for your CC stuff is plenty.

Quote:

Also, I know in MCFB Caruso states that it doesn't matter if the lips are wet or dry. Initially (1995-2001) I had a dry top lip and bottom wet lip (when I felt my range and playing were at its peak 5 or so years ago) then in 2001 switched to completely wet (which threw my playing into the tailspin from hell) and since 2002 I've been completely dry (which has been more than satisfactory). Tried to switch back to the dry/wet combo of the late 90's briefly in '02 but it never clicked again, so I made it work successfully with all dry (I know you're rolling your eyes by now!!!) Any opinions or personal preferences on this?...

I personally play wet. Carmine said it didn't really matter. The calisthenics will teach you to use whatever embouchure you presently have with maximum efficiency. If dry is what works for you, I say go with it. Different strokes...
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gms979 wrote:

My question is about the schedule....what is the reason for limiting yourself to just the six notes in week one, followed by the seconds for week two, etc. Is there danger in doing multiple exercises (six notes, seconds, minor 7ths, harmonic scale, and sls seconds) as given by Charly in a previous post....a schedule he said would be appropriate after week 7?

Or, it could be week 14 if you advance yourself bi-weekly; or week 21 if the progression is every third week. There’s no rush.

gms979 wrote:

Or is the point to gradually evolve your muscle responses in a more efficient direction, taking every precaution not to rock the boat with regular playing?

Yes. Gradual progress. The best precaution you can take against rocking the boat is to ONLY practice Caruso with fresh lips. Carmine used to say that you can’t teach tired lips. For this reason I would suggest practicing Caruso first thing in the day. AND suggest that you warm down after a blowing gig at night to get your lips realigned and in a good rest position to be best prepared to begin practicing the next day. The warm down only needs to consist of 3 – 5 minutes of ppp long tone low F#s and maybe a minute or so of mp long tone low F or E (depending on the length of your leadpipe) on the leadpipe. That’s it. Don’t play anymore … just put the horn in the case.

gms979 wrote:

Can an entire session be spent on just Caruso, or is healthiest to mix in normal playing during that session as well?

This depends. If you are an aspiring student bent on improving your technique and playing skills to great heights then you need to do both in a day’s practice. You might (as I did) elect to first do all the Caruso in 20 minutes increments of play/rest. Then get into the scales, chords, Clarke, etudes, etc. You could also make the 20 minute play periods a mix of CC and non CC.

If you are a full time, regularly playing pro who has acquired the level of technique necessary for your job, or is only working on very specific technical skills, then Caruso calisthenics are excellent for maintenance. 30 – 60 minutes a day would be primo.

gms979 wrote:

Also, I know in MCFB Caruso states that it doesn't matter if the lips are wet or dry. Any opinions or personal preferences on this?

Carmine said, “Play the most comfortable way.” I like my lips to be slightly moist (or at least not totally dry) just before setting the mpc so they won’t stick slightly to the mpc before the first note.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: