• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mutes & high notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
proton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: mutes & high notes Reply with quote

The only mute I currently own is a Humes & Berg practice mute--called something like "Ssshh-Quiet Manny Klein" model--a big heavy sucker. I don't really like practicing on it as it I get run down really fast--and not in a good way. I don't know quite how to explain it, but I think maybe I'm unconsciously playing too loud to compensate for being muted. Or maybe I'm using more pressure because I have to tense my left arm just to hold the dang horn up. Luckily, I use it quite rarely. But I was playing it tonight and noticed (or rather, my wife noticed, annoyed) that it becomes less and less effective (at muting) the higher I play.

So I have two questions.
1. Why is it less effective on high notes? I'm sure I could look it up in a physics book, but I'm far too lazy.
2. Are there any practice mutes out there that won't exhaust me as fast as this one? I've seen the "silent brass," but I don't really wanna drop big dollars on something I don't use much.
BigBadWolf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good, relatively inexpensive practice mutes are: Denis Wick and The Peacemaker.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. It affects the physics of how the horn plays. You are probably getting run down because you are overblowing into a much higher resistance than when playing open.

2. Any mute is going to affect your playing. If you want to learn to play muted, fine. Otherwise, it's really vital that you spend most of your time playing an open horn. Playing muted all the time really messes me up.

The Peacemaker and Silent Brass both have the advantage of allowing you to hear yourself, which really helps curtail the overblowing.

YMMV - Don
somedaylikechet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Silent Brass. It is also exhausting. Unfortunately, I'm forced to play with it 90% of the time because of neighbors and family. The 10% of the time when I take it out, it feels so free and easy and I can play much higher all of a sudden. But it's still an OK system for practicing.
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: mutes & high notes Reply with quote

proton wrote:
1. Why is it less effective on high notes?

well, i find the trumpet in general seems louder (i.e. more penetrating) as you ascend. When neighbours complain about me practicing it's generally when i'm playing high and never when i'm playing pedals, no matter how loud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: