• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Grand Valley State University - Richard Stoezel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may not have heard of GVSU, but you will. The Associate Professor of Trumpet is Richard Stoezel. He is also Principal Trumpet in Avatar Brass (www.Avatar.com).

His students have had great success in recent years. In 2000, he had 2 students in the ITG Mock Orchestral Competition. One placed 1st, the other 3rd. In 2001, he had 1 (different from the previous 2) student compete in the ITG MOC and placed 3rd. That same student placed 2nd at the National Trumpet Competition on 2002. This year, the 2001 student returned to ITG MOC and received co-winner. Another new student received co-runner-up. (See the ITG page if this is confusing.) Richard himself won the ITG MOC 16 years ago and chaired the ITG Solo Competition this year.

Why do I take the time to write all this? I am amazed to find all this happening in the little town of Allendale, MI. 25 minutes from my house.

Richard's specialty is piccolo trumpet instruction. I have heard him perform and he is very good. A graduating student of his told me "his teachings far surpass his playing." That is saying a lot. He promised to give me some lessons later this summer. Lord knows I need them.

Oh and the 2000 3rd place winner has now overcome major dental problems. He has completed his undergraduate work. After some thought, he made the choice to attend Julliard in the fall. He was also accepted at Eastman.

If you are looking for a school of classical performance, check out http://www.gvsu.edu .
zachenos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sounds like an up and coming place, ... however, I always get a little wary when someone touts their top couple of students. I think it is a Stamp quote that goes along the lines of "A measure of a teacher is the quality of his average students, their best students just make them look good." =) Again, I'm not trying to diminish what has been accomlished at this school, just offering a little "food for thought."

Zach

[ This Message was edited by: zachenos on 2002-07-11 10:26 ]
Mikester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never ceases to amaze me how someone can post negatively to a simple "information only" post.

Richard is not "touting" his top students. I just posted some interesting information. By the way, I am an not affiliated with GVSU in any way. So, this is a non-biased posting.

I wish people would just read a post for what it is and not put their own twist on it.

Guess this is why so many have stopped posting.
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I agree, and thanks for the information. It's nice to know about the programs at any institution.

Please let me know how the lesson goes. I assume it is for picc. I might just take a drive over and get one myself if he is available.

Later,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
zachenos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikester,

Since I was the only one who responded to your post I will assume your comments are directed to me and respond. I honestly feel like the best response I have is to use your own words,

"I wish people would just read a post for what it is and not put their own twist on it."

I will try to be a little clearer, I cannot tell you how many times I hear someone talk about a teacher based on super student X, Y, Z only to find out that students A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, etc are struggling to keep their heads above water. In other words, there is one super star and a majority of people struggling. And yet this teacher builds a reputation on the one star. I was simply trying to point that out, maybe I should have started another thread, I don't know, I guess it really has nothing to do in particular with the school in question, as I said in my original post ... it does sound like an up and coming place.
I can see how you feel like you took the time to offer up information only to have someone appear ungrateful for it, I disagree, that was not the intent of my response, I think it is great for people to bring 'up and coming' or lesser known programs to the light, I was just trying to point out a trap I see a lot of people fall into, in my book it is a trap similiar to the , "man he is an awesome player he must be a great teacher too" syndrome.
I don't get it, I keep rereading my original post, it doesn't seem like a venemous and negative post but if it comes across that way, I'm sorry, that was not my intention, any ways, this has been a mouthful.

Zach
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: