• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Balanced Embouchure

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnydb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there should be a forum dedicated to Jeff Smiley's "Balanced Embouchure." The Superchops forum is great but it would be nice to get everyone who has used Jeff's method into one place. Or maybe we could even convince Jeff to open one up himself on his website! So far his method is working great. Just today in practice I hit a high G. That is the first time that I have done that. About a week ago my ceiling was a High C/D. Now I am feeling more confident and can't wait to get back to school and wow everyone. My trumpet teacher will be amazed, as will the jazz band director, and the marching band, and the orchestra... Anyway, I can't wait to see what my range will be like in a month.

Thanks,
Jon
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down..... Jeff?
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea. I could use a lot of help with this method. Jeff's method definately deserves a forum.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

I must tell you, it feels good to find a thread with the name of your book on it, and upon clicking it, find players offering support!

I would enjoy helping players in the context of a forum. However, it probably won't happen for at least two reasons:

1. It would put our system administrator (Todd) in a tough position. Among other things, he needs to sell advertising to keep this AMAZING forum up and running. How fair would it be for me to peddle my book through my own personal forum, while the other advertisers have to pay? Would Bruce Lee then want a Northern Brass forum? How about giving Rich a Bop Duets forum?

Now, those aren't bad ideas, but see what I mean?

If you look at the dedicated forums, you see that they are run by players dedicated to a particular method - and not run by the author of the method. For the most part, these moderators do not directly profit from promoting their particular system. Rather, they do it because they believe in the method.

You may point out that most of the method authors are deceased anyway, so what's the big deal. That idea leads directly to....

2. The dedicated forums offer methods that have been proven over time. My book, on the other hand, has been out for only a little over one year. Even though the results have been very good, I'm not sure if it has been out there long enough to "qualify," if you know what I mean.

The suport, however, is appreciated, more than you know.

Thanks!

Jeff
http://www.trumpetteacher.net
Charlie Cheeseburger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff--I understand your reservations about having a dedicated BE forum, but please consider the following:

(1) The contributors to the board wouldn't be directly promoting your book or any specific commercial product or service, they would merely be discussing your ideas and methodology. That's an important distinction from having, say, a Northern Brass or a Dunkin' Donuts forum.

(2) Even if you did achieve more sales of the BE book as a result of the forum, what's the difference between you earning royalties and (for example) Carmine Caruso's estate earning royalties as a result of the Caruso forum? Good luck to all authors, dead or alive, I say!

(3) You say that your method hasn't stood the test of time, but we might have to wait a very long time for it to become a 'school' of playing, given the widespread resistance to new ideas. What if your method turned out to be the genuine article, and we hadn't take the opportunity to discuss it in an open forum with the author himself as his ideas develop? I'm sure that we would look on it as a wasted opportunity.

(4) If people went ahead with the forum, without your blessing or involvement, the situation might develop where we have competing interpretations of the method, as we have witnessed with Caruso, Callet, etc. I don't think this would be helpful for anyone.

(5) You wouldn't need to moderate the board yourself, so you would not need to worry about a potential conflict of interest. Someone else would be the moderator, and you could contribute whenever appropriate.

So...what do you think?

Best wishes,

CC
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Cheesburger makes several good points. The book has recieved alot of publicity from those using the system so I really don't see a problem. Either way I think it's a good idea.
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

" where we have competing interpretations of the method, as we have witnessed with Caruso"

To my knowledge there has been one issue by Laurie Frink, several months ago, that differed from the way ph and I have presented the Caruso approach. Pat and I have been in 100% agreement. So I think you need to back up your statement that "we have competing interpretations .............. with Caruso." To my knowledge, not on this forum there aren't.

CR
Charlie Cheeseburger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Charles,

I stand corrected. I was trying to make a more general point, but it was unfair of me to use the Caruso forum as an example.

Regards,

CC
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Wasn't gonna' chip in, 'cept perhaps to say how much I admired Jeff -- and his book -- for taking a refreshing look at trumpet playing, and players, and developing a novel scheme to get everybody playing well, but I like what Charlie had to say, soooo...

1. The book's been out a year or so, but have you not been using the method to teach your students for much longer than that? And, given your virtual 100% success rate, across a wide variety of students, I tend to side with those who feel your method has sufficient demonstrated merit to include with a list of the best of methods, today's and yesterday's...

2. How exciting it might be for us to be in on the ground floor of a breakthrough trumpet method! And, here's your chance to take advantage of the TH as a new vehicle for exposure and to help refine and develop your system. Yeah, it'll take some lumps, but even though I'm not consistently using it yet -- working it into my routine! -- I feel it's good enough to include with the best.

3. Why not moderate? There are many good reasons for not doing so, but imho (h = honest this time) you're the best, most qualified to explain the method. If I could get Arnold Jacobs or Adolth Herseth to moderate the Chicago Forum, I'd do it in a second and vanish into thin air! I suspect that if Lee could hand off to Mr. Callet the same would be true. If you need a counterweight, or some help, get a co-moderator as John and I have done.

I had thought of many reasons for and against the forum, not the least of which is having too much to read now , but am wondering if it wouldn't be worthwhile to jump in. Many of the concepts, though seemingly clear and simple, can trip up the unwary in practice. I say, take advantage of a chance to extend our knowledge, and yours, and take it the the next level. BTW, I'd like to ride along to the next level, too...

Late-night rambling at it's finest - Don

p.s. Did you ever finish the "teacher's handbook" alluded to earlier?
4Him
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone surprised by Jeff's humble response?

Jeff, besides the fine work represented in your book, it may be your humility and approach to understanding issues and responding that is most refreshing. I do believe many would benefit from a BE forum; however, I am completely convinced that your way of teaching/leading in this electronic platform provides a role model for others.

Thanks for your approach, Jeff!

Ken
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you look at the dedicated forums, you see that they are run by players dedicated to a particular method - and not run by the author of the method. For the most part, these moderators do not directly profit from promoting their particular system. Rather, they do it because they believe in the method.

You may point out that most of the method authors are deceased anyway, so what's the big deal. That idea leads directly to....

2. The dedicated forums offer methods that have been proven over time. My book, on the other hand, has been out for only a little over one year. Even though the results have been very good, I'm not sure if it has been out there long enough to "qualify," if you know what I mean.

The suport, however, is appreciated, more than you know.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,
Don't be so modest! You have come up with one of the best methods I have ever seen. Your method deserves a forum as much as any of the other dedicated forums. I think it is a great idea to have a "Balanced Embouchure Forum"!
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a stand alone, unique method? Or a culmination of the studies of many different methods(such as Superchops)? Know what I mean?

That was my thought when this was first suggested. Great book(regardless)!
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff's method is great. And I would love to have a forum to go to and discuss his method with other people that are using the same method.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
limits_unknown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Jeff, Trumpet players arent supposed to be modest!
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-31 16:16, limits_unknown wrote:
Come on Jeff, Trumpet players arent supposed to be modest!

Yes, Jeff is a wonderful, modest person. He's always been so supportive of people and is a true "servant" of people. He has no "hidden agenda" on the forum . . . he just wants to help folks . . . even those with opposing philosopies.

Better yet, his book is DYNAMITE! So well written and easy to understand.

Maybe we can learn something else from Jeff too . . . that the finest of trumpeters are humble and modest.

Lee Adams is another very humble, unselfish person. Both have mastered the upper register of the instrument and show us how us "ordinary folks" can also do it . . . and let us know that doing so isn't that remarkable after all.

These guys don't keep secrets and seek to make all players feel special and important . . . at all playing levels.

May we all strive for the same!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

you are exactly right!!!! i had my first lesson with Lee Adams last night and i felt like i had known him for years. when he asked me to play for him i felt no pressure. he's very knowledgable, i was amazed at how much he knew. a true pro in every sense of the word. i can't wait for my next lesson. thanks Lee!!!

frank

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-08-01 16:26 ]
trptmaster
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we start a Balanced Embouchure forum will we also have a place for people to discuss Un-Balanced Embouchures. Lets keep all options open.

In peace,

trptmaster
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see a balanced embochure forum, I think jeff has a wealth of imformation that could help a lot of players. Get the book if you have'nt already it is worth it.
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go, one more time...

1. Again, thanks. Some of you seem to be under the impression that I don't want to moderate a forum. Are you kidding? I'm simply trotting out the practical realities why it probably won't happen.

Isn't it obvious that my deal would be considerably different that everybody else's deal? For example, if you have a BE question, you can email me. Ever try emailing Mr. Caruso lately? A Caruso forum serves a more necessary function. See what I mean?

2. Don, I have to ask you a serious question. Are you this nice in real life? You have the amazing ability to get along with everybody. Is there light emanating from the top of your head, or what?

My question doesn't have anything to do with what you said. I'm just struck by your ability, that's all.

3. Ken, Ryan, Tom - Who says I am modest? Holy Cow, I wrote a book about embouchure which flys in the face of most of the "converntional wisdom" I see out there in the teaching trenches. If that's not arrogant, than nothing is!

If you want to see how "humble" I really am, then come to Dallas and watch me engage in a conversation with a Middle School band director who actually clicks onto my web site - AFTER hiring me!!!!

I tell them about the book, but almost none of them ever bother to read it.

Lots of work to do out there, folks! Thanks for the support, and good luck to us all.

Jeff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: