• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Madison Scouts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Devil
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone on this site who follows DCI knew what's going on with the Madison Scouts this year - they seem to be scoring really low, and are currently towards the bottom of the pack of top 12 that would make Finals.

I know, I know...the reason "just because you appeal to the audience doesn't mean you appeal to the judges" probably applies here just like it applies almost every year. Being more than a casual DCI fan, I would like to think that I can get past that reason, and know whether they are really doing well or not.

I've seen their show at one of the firat competitions of the year (Oswego, Il.), and I thought they have a good show (Spanish conquistador music - not all jazz, but does include a portion of Maynard's "Conquistador") and one of the better "sounds" at that competition. I thought they should have won that show, but instead they came in a distant third to the Glassmen and Phantom Regiment. That has been pretty representative of their whole season.

Can anyone who has seen their show give any reasons for their low scores this year?

Mike Trzesniak
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69.84 is their average score right now with 18 competitions now...they're almost equal with Minnesota Brass, a DCI Senior Corp who doesn't compete with the Scouts...ouch...

Troopers, Pioneers, Kaviliers are the only others who have lower averages...Scouts are 15th out of the 19 corps in Division 1....

it's sad to watch something good turn sour...there could always be some bribe/blackmail going on that we don't know about...so.you never know...
tpt4hire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that they are having problems with the visual program. The guard work and drill are not up to par with the horn and percussion performance. It's not that they are doing bad this year, everyone is doing great. One of the best years as of late. I am looking forward to DATR in Denver!

PS Can you imagine a finals in Madison with no Scouts......
leadtrmptplyr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't actually seen their show this year but did see them twice last year. It seems that the marching shows are becoming more demanding and intricate each year. What I saw from the Scouts last year was the same type of show they marched when they won the title in 1988. They tend to have a very open flowing show. Seems to me that the drum corps movement is moving to a faster more involved style of marching where everything goes out to flow but comes back in at a rapid pace.

I have heard people say that the Scouts are working on that type of show this year and I have wondered myself if they aren't just having some difficulty mastering a change in marching style. But I know from watching them for many years that they will work through whatever problems they are having and move back up in times to come. Maybe not this year but they will sometime. They went through some rough years towards the end of the 70's and went through a big transition with changing directors but they came through it all to place in the middle to top of the top 12 for many years. Don't give up on them. As a true drum corps fan we need to be supportive of all the corps so they will continue to have that entertainment motive to get through whatever problem they are having. They will continue to play exciting music and I'm sure will work through the problems with marching that they seem to be having.

WE LOVE YOU SCOUTS AND BELIEVE IN YOU!!!!!
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're in dallas tonight and I'm hoping to see them. I loved the show last year, I still listen to it all the time, man that would have been a great year to be a scout not rating wise though, ouch.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that was very dissapointing. The madison scouts always have an entertaining show, not this year, I hope they make some changes before the finals, if they go. I love the scouts but that wasn't the scouts out there tonight...... Go Madison!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: