• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Aren't lessons expensive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LANSTARR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Aren't lessons expensive? Reply with quote

I would like to get lessons, but aren't they expensive? How often do you guys get professional lessons and around how much do you spend on it?

Last edited by LANSTARR on Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Trumpet Dude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Aren't lessons expensive? Reply with quote

LANSTARR wrote:
I would like to get lessons, but aren't they expensive. How oftern do you guys get professional lessons and around how much do you spend on it?

I have lessons 2 times a month for $60 an hour.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to take a lesson every week, as schedules permit. Trumpet Dude's hourly cost is similar to mine.

They are worth every penny!

Matthew 25:31-46
_Gene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An hour every two weeks at $40.00

Getzen Custom 3051S
riffdawg2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two lessons a month @ $65.
Trumpet Dude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swthiel wrote:
I try to take a lesson every week, as schedules permit. Trumpet Dude's hourly cost is similar to mine.

They are worth every penny!

They are worth it. My teacher is a professional and because of his long line of trumpet friends I am constintally being introduced to new people and tons of information. There is simply no substitution for a pro teacher. Bert Truax, who I take from, is having a camp over the summer and he is bringing down some cats from the dallas symphony, Chase Sanborn, and the principle trumpet player from the philly orcherstra (I am at a loss for the name).
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting and continuing to play poorly is "expensive". Gas is expensive. A good lesson will take you hundreds, thousands of times ahead in your playing the cost of the lesson. IMHO - Don
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are lessons expensive? There's an old saying: 'If you think education is expensive, try ignorance."
Cheng
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two lesson a month at $44 each and it is worth every cent. In the year and a half I have been taking lessons I have made more improvements that trying to gut it out on my own in the previous 10 years.

The lessons have given me focus for my practice time and I waste less time in my practice.

I even introduced a co-worker and he also takes 2 lessons a month.

Is it expensive, not really.
Piccolo Kanstul ZKT 1520
Mouthpieces Various Monette Prana 2's
Santa Rosa Wind Symphony
SRJC Orchestra
Paul P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Claude Gordon put it pretty well when he said "That's what you'll get... a three dollar teacher."
TP_Dad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Daughter had been taking lessons each week for 5 years (not during the summers). We changed teachers (close to $10 more/hr) and in 3 months her sound went from not bad for a high school player to very good. Her articulation improved greatly and she finally has a decent vibrato.

I'd gladly pay the new teacher $20 more/hr. But don't tell him that.

She is now a year away from university auditions and well on her way to being prepared.

I always wondered how much a teacher can really help when the student "already knows" what they are doing. After all, the student has to make themselves better by applying themselves to the things they arn't doing right. And although a teacher’s main function is to help you find what you need to improve, this showed me that not just a teacher but the right teacher can make a huge difference.

Find one, a good one.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you invest in lessons (both monetarily and in work) comes back to you threefold in either opportunities, knowledge or improvement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like anything in life - You get what you pay for.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hiwiller

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of lessons... In case anybody might have some info, I'm looking for a good teacher in the Cleveland, OH area. Now I am a comeback player so please don't suggest Michael Sachs (although that would be quite a thing eh? ) as I'm sure he has his hands full with the students at CIM.

If there's a better place to ask, let me know.

Thanks,
Doug

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiwiller wrote:
Speaking of lessons... In case anybody might have some info, I'm looking for a good teacher in the Cleveland, OH area. Now I am a comeback player so please don't suggest Michael Sachs (although that would be quite a thing eh? ) as I'm sure he has his hands full with the students at CIM.

If there's a better place to ask, let me know.

Thanks,
Doug
Why not contact Michael Sachs?

No, I'm serious. You might not end up studying with him, but he could almost certainly point you in the right direction.
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started studying with Ray Mase about 13 years ago. At that time I took a lesson every few weeks and his rate was $60 per lesson. He's a wonderful teacher. He never said anything about increasing his rate. After a few years I decided to give him a raise every year of $5. We are now up to $110 per lesson. I don't have the time for a lesson every few weeks anymore. My playing has improved because of my lessons and I'm very busy rehearsing and performing.

The last attorney I used had a rate of $400.00 an hour. (I live in New York) Ray is a far better trumpeter and teacher than my attorney is a lawyer. Ray is one of the best in the world and my attorney is only very, very good. I think Ray is very inexpensive and I look forward to many more years of study.

Larry Malin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umyoguy wrote:

Jon

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for.

My kid plays clarinet, alto, and oboe, so lessons get expensive. She stuck with one teacher a year too long because we were both too afraid to hurt his feelings. The guy just kept re-hashing old material and she outgrew him after the first year. Two teachers later, we found a guy that is sooo talented at teaching and performing. Bingo!

Make sure you're really progressing and not just going through the motions. Also look for a teacher that is dedicated to, and enjoys, teaching. Many performers teach on the side to supplement their incomes, and wouldn't necessarily teach if they didn't have to. You can tell their heart isn't into it. Remember, it should be about you, not them.
Umyoguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daff wrote:
Umyoguy wrote:

Jon

Sometimes you don't get what you pay for.

Caveat emptor...It exists in this marketplace as it does any other. To get the best quality, expect to pay the highest prices. I didn't say it wasn't possible to get scammed, as it appears you were.

Glad to hear your daughter is with a better teacher.

Jon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's necessarily the case that someone who had a teacher who didn't work out for them got "scammed". Sometimes it just doesn't work out. And sometimes it's the reverse - sometimes a player who has less of a "name" makes for a better teacher. If he knows 3/4 as much as the "big name player" but is twice as effective in conveying it, you're ahead of the game.
FeBolas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Lessons/Trumpetdude Reply with quote

I teach half-hour lessons in the Houston area for 16 bucks a pop, and when I was in high school payed 50 an hour.

It's worth every penny; you pay more for pros, less for college people like me... just make sure you work well with your teacher. I had 3 of my 5 older kids make all-region, but there are some really crappy college-age teachers out there, too. If you're serious, shell out the bucks and go find a pro. Look at teachers for nearby universities, and players in major symphonies, opera orchestras, etc.

Trumpetdude: I'm originally from the Fort Worth area, and also took from Bert while I was in the GDYO. He's amazing! He's pretty much the reason I'm going to be playing trumpet for a living.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: