• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shulman System

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone familiar with this system. Does it center on the device which seems to prevent too much mouthpiece pressure and to encourage better posture. Any info would be helpful. Jim
jonnydb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered mine about a week ago and it should arrive within the next few days. I will tell you what I think about it when I have had it for a while.

Basically, it holds the trumpet up so that you dont have to focus on that part of the trumpet, you can focus on embouchure and finger technique. You can also set it so that you always have to play in the same position (hopefully the optimum position) and it will improve muscle memory so that when you perform you are performing with good posture and less mouthpiece pressure.

Jon
derekph

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ran into the inventor at a small Manhatten bar where he was playing with a quartet. Really a fantastic trumpet player. Sounded like Wynton in his articulations and tonguing finesse, but had some great things to say musically. I talked to him afterward. I mean, I was totally floored. I just sort of wandered into this place and here is a fantastic trumpeter. Turns out that he used to live in Ann Arbor and took lessons with a guy I knew. Anyhow, his system seemed to benefit him, but trumpet players have been doing fine without it for quite some time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have a used one for sale or know the pric of a new one?
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1. These wonderful devices "ONLY" cost a little less than a few mouthpiece "mistakes" that are rattling around in your mouthpiece storage box! (They sell for $195 + shipping)

The Shulman System device will do a lot to help improve your playing too. One day these things will probably be a "must have" item, IMHO . . . for it eliminates the ol' "Armstrong Method" of arm pressure . . . among other bad things. Change comes slowly . . . and people never miss what they've never had.

2. You can read about 'em at:

http://www.shulmansystem.com/

3. You can also purchase one via their website or through their USA rep. Bruce Lee at:

http://www.northernbrass.com/index.asp

A DESCRIPTION FROM THE SHULMAN WEBSITE:
The Shulman System for Brass is a novel approach to the brass musical instruments, which features a resonating-balance-stabilization device that functions as an extension of your body.

Suspended from a neck strap, the device rests on your chest from which a telescopic rotating arm extends outward to meet the balancing point of your instrument.

The System removes inhibiting embouchure pressure and body tension, and promotes proper body alignment, thus allowing you to focus on the beauty and power of music as opposed to the physical mechanics of performance.

It is a resonating device in that it is made from tone woods, and contacts your sternum when in use, utilizing your body as a natural resonating cavity, creating a continuous circle of vibrational energy between you and your instrument.

The result is the most effortless, personal, and direct connection to your creative potential.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks tom I can't wait to get your CD I'll have my guess back to you as soon as I get it. By the way how does russel like the jazz? I played the other one and I liked it alot. I think I might be another SC convert soon. You'll have to ask lee If I showed any promise because I got home and it didn't make sense again..... Anyway more on that later.
Bri
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using my Shulman System for a little over a year now and my playing has improved drastically! I use it religiously every day. I find it most affectvie with technical passages...as soon as I don't have to worry about keeping the horn up my fingers work much better! Worth every penny I spent on it!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: