• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

For the UK Guys Especially...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do any of you know of Steve Waterman? We are going to be working together next week and I want your impressions.

I have heard a lot of good things and am really excited to meet him and hang out.

Cheers (just practicing!),

Pat
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve waterman is one hell of a player. his jazz is really hot. I've met him a couple of times and he's a nice guy. He also teaches one of my friends, and the improvement in his playing in just 2 years has been awesome - he is spoken very highly of by his pupils. I think he has a website somewhere i think its:
http://www.stevewaterman.co.uk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve's a great bloke, a big fan of the Clarke exercises he got form Lew Soloff.

Steve is renowned as one of the top British jazz trumpet players both at home and on the international scene, Steve began his
career while studying at Trinity College Of Music, and since then has worked regularly on the British and European
jazz scene.

Steve has his own Quartet and Quintet with which he has recorded two critically acclaimed CDs of his own compositions

DESTINATION UNKNOWN [ASC CD4]
OUT OF TOUCH [ASC CD32]

He has worked with John Surmans Brass Project recording a CD on the ECM label

THE BRASS PROJECT [ECM 1478]

Steve has toured Europe playing at many of the major Jazz Festivals with the Carla Bley Big Band and recorded
two CDs for the ECM label

BIG BAND THEORY
CARLA BLEY GOES TO CHURCH

Other performers that Steve has regularly worked and recorded with include :
ANDY SHEPPARD, TONY COE, VICTOR MENDOZA, MAL WALDRON, GRAHAM COLLIER, MIKE GARRICK, DON WELLER,
COLIN TOWNS & ROBIN JONES.

As a composer Steve has had a number of commissions ranging from small group to big band. These include compositions
for the big band PENDULUM (formally the Berkshire Youth Jazz Orchestra) - which can be heard on the
CD PENDULUM (33 JAZZ 047CD).

CONCERTO FOR CONGAS - commissioned for George Haslam's MELTDOWN featuring Robin Jones as the soloist. This
is to be released on CD in 2001 on the SLAM label.

Steve has also composed a number of pieces for ROBIN JONES' KING SALSA which can be heard on the CDs
CHANGO (PARCD 502) & ACHÉ (RPRCD001)

Steve is very committed to Jazz education. He has co -written with John OÕNeil a highly acclaimed Jazz Trumpet tutor book -
THE JAZZ METHOD FOR TRUMPET published by Schott & Co. He is professor of Jazz Trumpet at The Royal Academy Of
Music and Trinty College of Music in London and teaches on many summer jazz courses. Steve has conducted numerous
Trumpet master classes and has conducted workshops ranging in size from small groups to big bands.

As an instrumental soloist Steve is available to perform with bands ranging from small group to big band and has a large
repertoire of his own compositions that can be performed with many different sized ensembles.

Tell him from me to stop using so much mpc.pressure.

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roddy,

It sounds like Steve is a pretty impressive guy!

Maybe I'll tell him to use MORE mpc. pressure. We'd better slow him down before he leaves us in the dust
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: