• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teenage Forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[As for the word you used...You don't find anything wrong with it? If you walked up to a police officer and called him that, he can arrest you. That word actually has a meaning. Stop while you're ahead. I have no problem giving advice to anyone, but you have to treat people better then you do. The way you act, you don't belong in a teenage forum. you belong in a zoo! [/quote]

DUH! Of course you do not use a slang term on a figure of authority. I guess the way you put it, I could call him a fag and get arrested, but what if I called him incompetent or stupid? I would get arrested as well. So the way you put it, simple degrading words, such as stupid, hold as much weight as fag. Why don't you stop poking around on a thread for teenagers? I can be just as mature as I can be immature. I will edit my post to alleviate hard feelings. Thank you, that is all.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-24 14:26, caedes wrote:
I think what advocates of a separate 'teenager' forum are looking for are separate 'mature' and 'immature' discussion areas. I mean, lets face it, that's basically what we're talking about. We all know that younger people who are mature and can sociably interact with others will go to the 'older person' section while immature older people will hang out in the 'teenager' section where they can cuss and carry on.

On the other hand I think a separate discussion for younger players would be detremental to their developement. Who better to learn from than older players who have done it all? Sure kids might be able to 'learn from each other', but as someone mentioned earlier this would just be the blind leading the blind after a certain level of developement.

So lets just call it as it is. What people are asking for are separte discussion areas for 'mature' and 'immature' members.

I my opinion the better alternative is to have board moderators who will conscientiously apply a uniform code of civility on discussions, and to have members how understand that being polite is really the only way to solve this problem.

You're saying that we're just looking for a Imature and Mature forum?
If I wanted to be imature I'd do some other junk. But let's not get into that.

What do you call imaturity?
Do you think that imaturity is when kids wana talk about Maynard Ferguson and about how high he plays? Or maybe when you say imature you're talking about how we always ask each other how high we can play. Man we must be really bad. Talking about high notes and great trumpet players.

The Point is that allot of the adults don't understand us. If you're an adult and wana help us teens then you're welcome but if you're just gona go in to tell us about how dumb we are (sometimes we get told that in a indirect way) for talking about range and endurance and about band camp stories then you shouldn't be welcome. I mean in a way we're almost prohibited to talk about any of those topics the way that we really want to. It's like one of those trumpet herald unwritten rules.

This has nothing to do with beign mature or not. This has to do with beign young and us beign able to talk about stuff that we go threw with our peers. You guys have all sorts of forums where you can talk about gigs and stuff like that with your peers. We can't relate to that stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-24 14:08, spanky wrote:
why don't we have a 40 and over forum, then we could discuss how to practice when kids are pulling on your shirt tail, or how to alleviate back pain while playing, etc...

isn't the point of this website, TRUMPET PLAYING??

I don't get your joke. sorry. I guess that I'm not OLD ENOUGH to understand that kinda of stuff. And about the 40 and over forum. Why don't you look around the trumpetherald community. The entire place is ran basically by a 40 and over community.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-24 14:49, trjeam wrote:
Quote:

On 2002-07-24 14:26, caedes wrote:
I think what advocates of a separate 'teenager' forum are looking for are separate 'mature' and 'immature' discussion areas. I mean, lets face it, that's basically what we're talking about. We all know that younger people who are mature and can sociably interact with others will go to the 'older person' section while immature older people will hang out in the 'teenager' section where they can cuss and carry on.

On the other hand I think a separate discussion for younger players would be detremental to their developement. Who better to learn from than older players who have done it all? Sure kids might be able to 'learn from each other', but as someone mentioned earlier this would just be the blind leading the blind after a certain level of developement.

So lets just call it as it is. What people are asking for are separte discussion areas for 'mature' and 'immature' members.

I my opinion the better alternative is to have board moderators who will conscientiously apply a uniform code of civility on discussions, and to have members how understand that being polite is really the only way to solve this problem.

You're saying that we're just looking for a Imature and Mature forum?
If I wanted to be imature I'd do some other junk. But let's not get into that.

What do you call imaturity?
Do you think that imaturity is when kids wana talk about Maynard Ferguson and about how high he plays? Or maybe when you say imature you're talking about how we always ask each other how high we can play. Man we must be really bad. Talking about high notes and great trumpet players.

The Point is that allot of the adults don't understand us. If you're an adult and wana help us teens then you're welcome but if you're just gona go in to tell us about how dumb we are (sometimes we get told that in a indirect way) for talking about range and endurance and about band camp stories then you shouldn't be welcome. I mean in a way we're almost prohibited to talk about any of those topics the way that we really want to. It's like one of those trumpet herald unwritten rules.

This has nothing to do with beign mature or not. This has to do with beign young and us beign able to talk about stuff that we go threw with our peers. You guys have all sorts of forums where you can talk about gigs and stuff like that with your peers. We can't relate to that stuff.

Once again, George has laid down the core of the teenage forum.
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trjeam,

man, i think you just made me realize where i said i'd never be, as roddy said, i'm an "old folk". i don't begrudge you wanting to talk to teenagers but i do think that the "older" folks can help you progress more with your playing. there is already a forum to talk about maynard "performers", and to talk about hitting triple's "high range". you young guys are great and the future. can't you guys just meet up and take the gang to one of the existing forums. you can take us back to where we all were at one time as well, YOUNG. don't let a couple of bufoons squash what your trying to say. i think i'll go ahead and have my MID-LIFE crisis now.
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-24 15:06, spanky wrote:
trjeam,

man, i think you just made me realize where i said i'd never be, as roddy said, i'm an "old folk". i don't begrudge you wanting to talk to teenagers but i do think that the "older" folks can help you progress more with your playing. there is already a forum to talk about maynard "performers", and to talk about hitting triple's "high range". you young guys are great and the future. can't you guys just meet up and take the gang to one of the existing forums. you can take us back to where we all were at one time as well, YOUNG. don't let a couple of bufoons squash what your trying to say. i think i'll go ahead and have my MID-LIFE crisis now.

yeah you guys offer us expirience and good advice. But if I went to one of those forums and started to talk like a teen. I would probably have to re edit my post into normal "adult" language so that you guys can understand. Plus most of times you guys just ignore posts like that because it goes under what you call "stupid post" . That's the truth.
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surpised more adults aren't supporting our forum. Most of the adults are tired of our immature, childish posts anyway. If there is a forum for debating, why can't there be a teenage forum(that was NOT a shot at the debating forums purpose!). Some people obviously wanted to pen up all the debating, why not pen up the "immaturity" as some of you wish to call it. Like I said, there would be an adult to moderate, so it wouldn't get crazy.
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trjeam,
ok, now i don't understand. when you say you would have to re-edit into "adult" language, is english not what we are speaking here?? or do you guys have some sort of "jive" talk that your saying a, man i hate to keep saying this, 40 year-old man can't understand. please explain.

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-07-24 15:25 ]
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HuH?
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-24 15:23, Goldenchops55 wrote:
HuH?

I second that!
"HuH?"
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the "HUH" was for me, i agree, you guys definitely need your own forum, well done!!
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL, thanks spanky. By editing my posts, I meant taking out the offensive language.

[ This Message was edited by: Goldenchops55 on 2002-07-24 15:40 ]
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chops,

are you talking about using "cuss" words??
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you want a teenage forum go for it. Yes sometimes we older types don't decipher the lingo.

But remember we had to be young once to become adults. We all went through similar situations and can possably help at times. Lets just all try to be civil and treat each other like we would like to be treated.

As far as Maynard goes I guess I have missed the posts where someone bashed someone for liking his playing. I first heard him when he was young. Then again so was I.

I say go for it as long as us "old" people can visit if we promise to behave.

To youth; Good luck,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
weezintrumpeteer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 17 year old, and I don't really support the teenage forum. If you guys make one, it will be fine with me, I just won't use it. I am more interested in getting help from older, more experienced folks such as the adults on this forum. Personally, I couldn't care less about talking about the childish things some of the people on this forum talk about. I am interested in learning how to play the trumpet correctly, and learning to play beautifull music. If you decide to put up the teenage forum, thats fine with me, but I'm just saying that I don't think its really needed.

Patrick
screamertrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pat

That's what I was trying to say. I'm 15, but I'm interested in what older, more experienced people have to say. After all, the advice they give will have a lot of experience backed up behind it. IMO (again), I really don't think it's necessary to have a forum like that, but if Todd will give it to you guys, more power to you. The people who are interested will post and observe, and the people who don't want to post or observe will stay away.

Trevor
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-19 23:50 ]
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you David. VERY well put. Like Dave said, we would not neglect the other forums. Maybe some kids have some tips they are not sure of, and don't want to be attacked by adults that are far more knowlegable. If David was the moderator, he could always step in, and say whether the tidbit of information would hurt or help.
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get rid of the prob....let moderators start deleting stupid topics/replies...there won't be an honest was to have a seperate forum because teens can sign up as adults and vice versa...the purpose would be ruined and it starts all over again...
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey roddy, what exactly is old in your book?? that way i'll know if your talking to me or not
=============================

hey spanky ..are u a teenager? ...no...then your too old..let them have space

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: