• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teenage Forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to put in my two cents.

Sometimes it is harder to talk to older guys about things us teens face, seeing how there is the age gap and how times have changed (oh, why don't you take your date on a bikeride through the park.. what park.. what bikes??) But talking to other teens can just help us out.

For example.. Say i am learning the Carnival of Venice... a lot of you older guys can probably play it in any key backwards. But not a lot of us teens could.. it could be like a support group... yah, i am having trouble in measure 24 or whatever. We wouldn't feel as intimidated for saying a problem like that.

Also, other stuff... such as band camp stories, or trying to get a date while playing your horn.. i bet a lot of old timers don't wanna hear some of that stuff.. and teens could relate better with each other.

I am for it. If the old timers don't really care for it, they don't have to read it.

just my 2 (well.. many) cents
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that I had a resource like this when I was a teenager. If I had a forum like this where I could have gotten good advice from older guys who have been there, done that, and know the score, maybe, just maybe I wouldn't have spent nearly so much time fumbling around trying to figure stuff out for myself. Heck, I've taken many nuggets of wisdom from this forum and applied them to my playing for the better just in the last six months and I'm waaay past teenager status!

I do agree though that for the younger players, it would be neat to have a place to hang out and talk to others that really understand things on their level. Creating a teenage forum wouldn't mean that the rest of the Herald would be ignored, only that a safe haven exists for the younger generation.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think we should have dr. laura moderate the forum. she can help us work thru these issues.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all
I'm more than a teenager, but not really. Today is 27 years for me. tell me happy birthday!

Anyway, I'm not against teens having a place to hang and shoot the..... I think it's a great idea, and if it makes our younger brethern happy, or happier, then there's your answer.

What I would say to the younger folks around here is this:

Don't get it stuck in your head that we don't know what it's like for you. We've all been there. We've all (and continue to) had our jaws dropped by amazing stuff like Maynard Fergeson and the Carnival of Venice. It's statements like that that make it so by the time you've asked a question, you're already on the defensive. I don't have any idea, or time to put the thought into how that whole ugly circle got started.

So, if the point of the teen forum is to hang with people that are soley focused on the extremely high, loud and fast playing, great. Have a blast. I'll be hangin.

But, playing the horn correctly can prove to be difficult with even the best guidance, nevermind giving advice with little experience to back it up. There are CENTURIES worth of knowledge that are available, if you choose to ask the right way. It just seems to me that most 'kids', or young adults ask questions with air of 'I already know this, and I'm testing YOU'. The older and experienced folks have not only lived through all the wide ranging emotions you are currently going through, but they've probably spent a good amount of time teaching, clinicing, performing for and with cats your age. I'd much rather practice than try to CONVINCE someone of anything. You're best bet for QUALITY information is from this group of people.

If your issue is 'having to translate to adult', then you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. You're saying you want answers or thoughts from these guys but only if they can hang with your slang? That's silly and you know it.

As far as using words like 'fag'. That word has embedded itself in pop culture as a slang term. People seem to throw that and 'gay' around an awful lot. My take - you have NO idea how painful a word that can be for some people. some of them very close friends of mine. You wouldn't walk into a NAACP meeting and use ****** as a slang word would you? Yeah, it is on the same level. It's just a matter of the particular demographic you're trying to DEMEAN. It's a horrible and hateful word and you all should make it your business to see that it stops. I know I try.

Alright. Sorry for the rant. Again, I'm all kinds of supportive for you guys to have your own hang. Just don't pull the wool over your own eyes while trying to convince Todd to let you have it.

I would also invite you to save and archive all the posts made. Then come back in 10 years and see what your perspective is then. You don't think it will be, but it most definately will be different. Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo
Also in this Comments & Suggestions forum is another post by Tim Surrency suggesting an Elementary, Novice and Comeback player forum. I think it's a great idea, what about you guys?
trjeam
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-25 21:56, Nicholas Dyson wrote:
Yo
Also in this Comments & Suggestions forum is another post by Tim Surrency suggesting an Elementary, Novice and Comeback player forum. I think it's a great idea, what about you guys?

We already have the Fundemental forum. if you're a beginer or a comeback that's probably where you might want to start off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Goldenchops55
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-25 21:40, Nicholas Dyson wrote:
Hello all
I'm more than a teenager, but not really. Today is 27 years for me. tell me happy birthday!

Anyway, I'm not against teens having a place to hang and shoot the..... I think it's a great idea, and if it makes our younger brethern happy, or happier, then there's your answer.

What I would say to the younger folks around here is this:

Don't get it stuck in your head that we don't know what it's like for you. We've all been there. We've all (and continue to) had our jaws dropped by amazing stuff like Maynard Fergeson and the Carnival of Venice. It's statements like that that make it so by the time you've asked a question, you're already on the defensive. I don't have any idea, or time to put the thought into how that whole ugly circle got started.

So, if the point of the teen forum is to hang with people that are soley focused on the extremely high, loud and fast playing, great. Have a blast. I'll be hangin.

But, playing the horn correctly can prove to be difficult with even the best guidance, nevermind giving advice with little experience to back it up. There are CENTURIES worth of knowledge that are available, if you choose to ask the right way. It just seems to me that most 'kids', or young adults ask questions with air of 'I already know this, and I'm testing YOU'. The older and experienced folks have not only lived through all the wide ranging emotions you are currently going through, but they've probably spent a good amount of time teaching, clinicing, performing for and with cats your age. I'd much rather practice than try to CONVINCE someone of anything. You're best bet for QUALITY information is from this group of people.

If your issue is 'having to translate to adult', then you're cutting your nose off to spite your face. You're saying you want answers or thoughts from these guys but only if they can hang with your slang? That's silly and you know it.

As far as using words like 'fag'. That word has embedded itself in pop culture as a slang term. People seem to throw that and 'gay' around an awful lot. My take - you have NO idea how painful a word that can be for some people. some of them very close friends of mine. You wouldn't walk into a NAACP meeting and use ****** as a slang word would you? Yeah, it is on the same level. It's just a matter of the particular demographic you're trying to DEMEAN. It's a horrible and hateful word and you all should make it your business to see that it stops. I know I try.

Alright. Sorry for the rant. Again, I'm all kinds of supportive for you guys to have your own hang. Just don't pull the wool over your own eyes while trying to convince Todd to let you have it.

I would also invite you to save and archive all the posts made. Then come back in 10 years and see what your perspective is then. You don't think it will be, but it most definately will be different. Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Dyson
I agree about the f*g term. It is VERY innapropriate, and I had no right to throw the term around. I ask for everyone who I offend to please forgive me. The reason for the forum is not because of terminology differences, but for cultural differences. Sure, you all have more insight than us, but today is not like the 1960's. We are experiencing a lot more stuff now than you guys did 30, 40,50 years ago. We have no problem communicating with the older members.
spanky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey chops,

i appreciate you not throwing me in with that 60's crowd, maybe i'm not "old", then again, roddy says i am "old", what a mess, who to Believe?? anyway,
the "older" guys have more "street" smarts than you think they do. i don't think the issues are that much different, they are just in a different package.

[ This Message was edited by: spanky on 2002-07-26 10:36 ]
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-26 00:43, Goldenchops55 wrote:
Mr. Dyson
I agree about the f*g term. It is VERY innapropriate, and I had no right to throw the term around. I ask for everyone who I offend to please forgive me. The reason for the forum is not because of terminology differences, but for cultural differences. Sure, you all have more insight than us, but today is not like the 1960's. We are experiencing a lot more stuff now than you guys did 30, 40,50 years ago. We have no problem communicating with the older members.

Ouch!

Alright, first of all call me Nicholas, or Nick. Mr. is bad word in my book. I know it's a title of respect, and you don't know how much I appreciate that, but please.....

I am 27 years old (and one day) and I graduated high school in 1993. Not long ago. Try to look at people as individuals, rather than their age. I know, I know, people are doing it to you all the time. It sucks. Consider yourself a conscientious objector. You know that's a less than stellar way to do things, as you're on the receiving end. So, if you don't like it so much, why you doin' it to us? I realize that there are some folks that hassle you and all of that, but look at them as individuals, not a group. I certainly don't deserve to be branded like that, much the same as yourself...

As far as the comment above regarding the Elementary, Novice and Comeback player forum being already taken care of in the Fundamentals area....

So why do you need another? I'm sure that most, if not all of you young cats blow a mean horn, but please be comfortable with the idea that you ARE novices. Hell, so am I. So are a lot of folks. That's why the fundamentals forum gets used.

You young guys are skirting the issue here. All you want is a place you can go and talk about the stuff that is exciting to you. No one has to be at fault for anything for that to be a good idea.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost 32 but I still feel like a kid. We have a summer intern at work who is 20 and sometimes when we are talking, I have to remind myself that I'm 12 years older than he is and there are things that I remember and talk about that he just doesn't know. I'm such a kid that we get along great anyway.

HS doesn't seem like it was that long ago and I feel like I'm still fairly in touch with what's going on with HS kids now. Of course this is probably the first sign of senility, but I do try and stay on top of things and playing in public all of the time helps that.

I still think though that having a HS or teenage forum would be a good thing because everyone, especially at that age, feels like they need to have something that is theirs.

Should we start an "Old Farts" forum for those over 40 or 50? (Note: please don't be offended by these comments, I'm only having some fun"
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post Patrick. I think you hit the nail on the head. The Young 'uns always want something for just themselves. I remember that...

The thing that is so frustrating for me is that I can now see from better perspective. I guess it's part of the purgatory to have to watch the following generations claim to be re-inventing the wheel. I remember (and now my face is totally red) screaming at my mum, telling her she didn't know what's it's like and so on and so forth. The frustrating part is that you CANNOT tell someone with this attitude that they have this attitude. They CAN'T hear it. They HAVE to live it to find out.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some 14year olds are old farts allready, and some people with higher numbers never loose the ability to see things anew...
I've met more age-ist young people than old though, because they haven't yet experienced that fact. They are still categorizing people and sorting through things.
The best thing that comes from experience is the gaining of greater stillness. With more calmness, more energy can flow through. That's where the authority of adults comes from!
This is also another of the lessons that old fart, Miles Davis embodied.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-26 14:59, trickg wrote:
I'm almost 32 but I still feel like a kid. We have a summer intern at work who is 20 and sometimes when we are talking, I have to remind myself that I'm 12 years older than he is and there are things that I remember and talk about that he just doesn't know. I'm such a kid that we get along great anyway.

HS doesn't seem like it was that long ago and I feel like I'm still fairly in touch with what's going on with HS kids now. Of course this is probably the first sign of senility, but I do try and stay on top of things and playing in public all of the time helps that.

I still think though that having a HS or teenage forum would be a good thing because everyone, especially at that age, feels like they need to have something that is theirs.

Should we start an "Old Farts" forum for those over 40 or 50? (Note: please don't be offended by these comments, I'm only having some fun"

I thought you were like 18!

I understand why people are asking for the forum being a young'un myself, turning 17 in november. I think that if this forum does apear that it will probably be abused. Not to discourage it but I think that it would be a neat thing to a point. Hopefully some people would stop insulting the younger generation. I also see a problem since it would be meant for the "teens" who would moderate? Who would be the knowledgeable posters? Would the smartest/most knowledgable people on the forum (Don Herman, Tom Turner, Lee Adams, Quad C, and Bruce Lee) be active in it?

Things to think about... I do believe that David would be a good choice for moderator. But I think maybe Vivace or someone younger should also be a moderator to just keep the forums age target in good standing. I can't remember any of the others but I'm sure their are some other top ten or twenty posters that would be willing to moderate. I'm certainly interested in the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing what develops.

"90% of trumpet music is below high C"

[ This Message was edited by: SHS_Trumpet on 2002-07-30 00:44 ]
Quadruple C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: Quadruple C on 2003-09-19 23:51 ]
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-30 01:06, Quadruple C wrote:
Thanks Andrew. I think a cool idea would be to have say myself {Quad C}, Roddy {if he is interested} and maybe 1 other like Pat Harbison, that way there are 2 or 3 "older guys" right off the top to guide things a bit and it is more of a diversified approach with 2 or 3 and I think co-moderating is better also so it's more of a group effort anyway. David

Sounds good to me!
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the Lounge seems to be acting as a fairly efficient teenage forum already. TH is the moderator, who hardly ever steps in, so what more could anyone possibly want?

Besides, aren't there plenty of teen hangs on the Net already?

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-07-30 11:05 ]
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see where people of different age groups feel much more comfortable when they are able to converse with others of the same experience levels. Those peers may have similar problems and joys concerning accomplishments and probably need and desire encouragement from each other for jobs well done and/or "stay in there, for it will eventually happen for you if you..." (just an example).

However, do not discount older (more experienced) persons' interests in wanting to offer some (hopefully) good advice to help younger folks' dilemas...in trumpet playing or other attempts in life. Everyone needs a helping hand more than once.

I am the music director of a county-wide orchestra (really more of a band that may have a few strings added eventually) in Wood County, East Texas (about 100 miles east of Dallas). The personnel ranges from high school players (who are also in their own high school bands) through adult (some are retired but happy to continue making music). I am experiencing that the younger players are learning from the older players and (I think) vice versa. But that is what really must happen to exist and improve the organization as a whole.

What I am essentially saying is that we can all learn from one another, if that can be a possible scenario in our own situations. It does not imply someone horning in on another's wishes (or privacy)...just an attempt to share one's good fortune (in learning) with others. Even those players who can help others must continue to grow and improve within their own lives, and they will seek and ask for assistance if necessary.

And I strongly feel that being ladies and gentlemen as much as humanly possible is a wonderful trait to possess.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham

[ This Message was edited by: Lex Grantham on 2002-07-31 12:17 ]
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-07-30 00:39, SHS_Trumpet wrote:
I thought you were like 18!

Andrew Fowler

Nah, I'm gettin up there, I just act like a kid all of the time. Just ask my wife of 10 years!

One of the reasons that I still love to play and gig is that it is about the only thing in my life that is consisten throughout. I was having fun in High School doing it and I'm still having fun. If I wasn't, I wouldn't still be doing it.
- ACB Doubler

funkymonkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary reason that I come here is to get advice from the older, more experienced players. I think by having teenagers, or the less experienced players giving "advice" to each other, it may not turn out as it should. For the non-trumpet playing talks like "girls are attracted to high playing chops" or anything like that, there are millions of chat rooms on the internet...

Just my idea.. btw, I'm a teenager too that is not in favour of the teenager forum.
dawnfrenzy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i heard about this idea a while back, one of the comments was spot on. Then this new teen forum cane be like "the blind leading the blind".

If you come here for advice, go to those with the experience and skill to give advice. Having said that a forum for under 18's is a good idea to discuss anything else. How about an Underage Lounge?
Just make sure that people know that advice there might not (and might is the crucial word here) be backed by as much experience as elsewhere.

What would be better is to have a forum where under 18s can ask questions to trumpethearald members that have proven themselves to have the experience, skill, common sense and maturity, (no matter what age this is can always be a problem) to answer the questions.

Then again maybe we can just allow anyone who thinks, feels, or is, under 18 to use the forum freely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: