• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

red rot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flange

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: red rot Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how, if at all to detect red rot from the outside of a laquered horn?
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for pinkish blotches (pin-head sized and up to maybe 1/8" dia and irregularly shaped) under the lacquer; especially on the leadpipe & tuning slide but also just about anywhere else including the outside of valve bodies.

So far I've seen this kind of rot exclusively on Yamaha instruments: student trumpet, student cornet, student baritone horn and a pro tenor sax (on the valve pad covers). I believe all of these horns to have been pre 1980 models.
Alsorann

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red rot is certainly not exclusive (or even very common) on Yamaha instruments. I've had a Post War Meha and a Getzen Eterna need lead pipes, and my son's Blessing trombone had a riproaring case.
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I left a misimpression, Alsoran. I did not mean to say that only Yamahas experienced red rot: that is certainly not the case. I was merely saying that I have personally only seen red rot on Yamahas (and not just the trumpets) and that the appearance was of a pinkish stain under the lacquer. I believe someone has said that red rot can also show as small bubbles under the plating if it is a silver plated horn: I have never seen a red-rotted, silver plated horn so cannot comment.

I agree that ANY brass horn can develop red rot if it is treated improperly or has poor metallurgy.
ralphnz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my lacquered yamaha maestro cornet's got some dodgy pink spots on the leadpipe. does it happen to other finishes?
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Red rot is when the zinc that is in the brass starts to get eaten away through the acids in your breath/spit/whatever. When this happens it starts to leave very tiny "holes" in the metal... which is gone forever. Starting from the inside of the tubing it works it's way to the outside... once you can see the pink blotches (or, in the case of a silver horn, the bubbling of the finish), the damage has happened and will only get worse. It is not a reversible process.

You can slow it down (if it has started) by keeping the horn dry... after every use! Some people recommend a bit of oil inside the horn to keep more acid from getting into the pits. Wash the horn well, then dry it "bone dry" and follow up with a spray of oil. (Otherwise the oil will trap the acidic moisture inside the pits). I use my wife's hair dryer to blow warm air through until the water droplets are gone. Obviously don't be drinking acidic beverages while playing or practicing (rum n coke springs to mind!)

The higher the concentration of zinc in the brass (yellow brass is higher in zinc content than red brass), the more damage that can be done since there is more zinc to be potentially lost ... one reason that was used by some companies for using red brass (or "gold" brass) in their leadpipes.

The moral? Don't put your horn away "wet".
Oh... and watch out when you are buying used horns "sight unseen"! You never know what's hiding inside the tubing.
Rondawg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use spitballs everyday playing. I blow one through dry(or soaked in water depends on where I am) once. Then I put six drops of oil on it the next time and blow it though. It drys out the spit(or soaks it up) and the valve oil helps protect the bore.

And also clean your trumpet regularly.
You can have oodles of technique, but if you've got no tone, it's not going to be attractive to the person hearing it. Tone comes from the inner ear -- you can't teach it. It comes from deep inside your brain -- and also your heart.
-Phil Smith
Timothy Connelly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 50+ year-old Olds trumpets, and a 20+ year-old Conn. No red rot. The only red rot I have encountered is in a "new" leadpipe that my repair technician put on my Bach Strad 10 years ago. It seems that manufacturing standards have something to do with this problem. But it is not limited to certain manufacturers.

Tim
trumpetmike8
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Spit Balls Reply with quote

What are spit balls?
Musically,
Trumpetmike8

Eclipse MY
Bach LR180
Conn 1B-SP46
Bach TR200
Antoine Courtois
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Lots of original Benge trumpets seemed to have this problem on their leadpipes. However, red rot can hit any brand.

I had a real nice 37* made around '85 that developed a tiny pin hole in an unseen area. At first I'd hear a slight "buzz" on certain notes. I finally took out the tuning slide, put my thumb over the exit end of the leadpipe, filled it with water . . . and discovered my leadpipe could also serve as a mini-squirt gun.

Rather than replace the leadpipe I took the plunge and auditioned a bunch of new leadpipes . . . and found a new, original Pilczuk pipe that made a super-fine Bach into an even better horn.

As has been said . . . keep it clean . . . or little pits will begin inside the leadpipe until those little pock marks eat all the way through the brass to the outside!

Tom
Rondawg
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Spit Balls Reply with quote

trumpetmike8 wrote:
What are spit balls?
Musically,
Trumpetmike8

They're almost like little sponges. They come in a round container with water(and probaly more). You basically squeeze out the water(unless you want it to squirt out when you put it in) and push it into the receiver. Then take a pencil and be careful and slowly push it in about 6 inches down itno the leadpipe. But the mouthpiece in give it a good blow and it should come out the other end. I then take it put 6 drops of valve oil on it again and blow it through again. Cleans out all the spit out of the trumpet and it dosen't cause redrot or corrosion. Which is good.

Disclaimer: Do not use on severely dented horn or one that has not been cleaned in a long time. I only use them between cleanings. They are no substitute for a good old fashioned cleaning.
You can have oodles of technique, but if you've got no tone, it's not going to be attractive to the person hearing it. Tone comes from the inner ear -- you can't teach it. It comes from deep inside your brain -- and also your heart.
-Phil Smith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: