• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flow Studies Book Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blancolate
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Flow Studies Book Question Reply with quote

I received my copy of Cichowicz "Trumpet Flow Studies" book today from Tulsa Brass.

Just wondering if anyone that studied with him or attended his master classes could provide any suggestions as to how to get the most benefit of these type of studies.

Thank you!
FTee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, they work best either as a warmup or a cooldown. I honestly wouldn't spend a lot of substantive practice time on flow studies; the risk is that you might neglect other, more useful, practice materials, and flow studies can lead to a false sense of security. They're good as far as they go, but I think they can be overemphasized.
jcstites
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTee wrote:
In my opinion, they work best either as a warmup or a cooldown. I honestly wouldn't spend a lot of substantive practice time on flow studies; the risk is that you might neglect other, more useful, practice materials, and flow studies can lead to a false sense of security. They're good as far as they go, but I think they can be overemphasized.

i agree and disagree... heh.

i use the flow studies alot! mostly for warmup, but also to help with other things.

you can play them all at the same volume first. then you can cresendo to the top and decs. the way down. and vice versa. the decresendo to the top can help response.

the other thing i use them for is to keep the same color of sound throughout all the registers. I know for me, and most other people i hear, they tend to get bright and thin up high. If you just listen carefully the flow studies are a perfect way to work on this.

what is more useful than producing a great sound? the flow studies are great for developing your sound, and creating your own concept of sound in your head. nothing else i practice could be mroe useful than that!
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to dig up my collection to get references... The main idea is to get the sound flowing in your head, and let the trumpet follow. There's a lot more in the book than the simple exercises most people think of when doing them. Musical flow is what it's all about, and through some fairly challenging music at that!

HTH - Don
AverageJoe
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTee wrote:

Yeah, it sounds like you may only be thinking of the famous exercises at the beginning of the book. The book available from Tulsa is the complete course study book that VC compiled -- it is a collection of etudes from a multitude of sources. Wonderful book.

Paul
TWEAK
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive been trying to get this book. where can i order a copy? who publishes it? etc etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mhilton777

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Ceth at Tulsa Band rto get a copy of the book. http://www.tulsaband.com
tromba mann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered this book on Tuesday afternoon around 3pm Eastern over the internet with Tulsa. I paid for the UPS ground shipping - about $4. The book arrived via DHL the NEXT morning at 9am, right on my doorstep. WOW! That's a 17 hour delivery cycle. Hats off to some great service from Tulsa (and DHL)!
terpfan0512
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Pierre Thibaud variations on Cichowicz Reply with quote

Take a look at the Pierre Thibaud Daily Routine for Advanced Trumpeters. In it, you'll find variations on the Cichowicz vocalises which are extended to the upper register. You'll also find some interesting variations on Bai Lin's Lip Flexibilities that have also been extended to the upper register.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: