• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

bobby shew z horn

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akaultragman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: bobby shew z horn Reply with quote

does anyone have one and if they do tell me how is the range and the sound on it. good or bad horn. thanks

YAMAHA Bobby Shew Lead/ Curry 101/2z bent

The most important factor in developing the high register is desire, the patience to wait, and the necessary time to acquire it.
cujazztrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guys thinks it's too stuffy,,,some guys think it's great,,,,played by some pros plyed by students too. I liked it when I tried one and liked it but I don't own one. Try one and find out.
belagozzo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, and love it...Yes at first I thought it was stuffy, but that was when I Just Blew air in it Thru the Mouthpiece...but it is soo much different when you play one it.

I have had others play on my horn and like it too, but the only problem that I have seen with the Z is, that if you dont use Proper Air Support, the Horn will not be your best friend. When using the right air, the horn lets you flow through out the entire range that you are capable of.

The big difference for me is the upper register of the horn. I am an Ex-Schilke, and Yamaha Mark II player, both were great in the Normal Ranges of the horn, but just like my Bach Stad, they really didnt slot into place when I would play High E and above to Double C(not saying I rip Double Cs)...I just had to work Harder for the higher notes on the schillke.

I dont know maybe its due to the fact that the Z has a .445 bore, but dont let that make you think, that the horn is Bright or Edgy sounding because it is Not. Alot of other trumpet players see the bore size, and turn their heads, and some what did at 1st considering I have usually played on .468 bores, but for some reason, this Light Weight, Medium Bore Trumpet has a Huge sound, providing you use the right air. Dont cheat the Horn of Air, and the Horn wont Cheat you of a great Sound.
Bach NY 6 (1920s)
Marcinkiewicz Shew 1(Burbank)
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played one of the 8310Zs at NAMM, and if I were shopping for a Bb that I could bring on every gig, I'd give this one a long, hard look. It's a REALLY great instrument. It's impossible to describe it in reference to other horns, so just go play one. By the way, it does NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT play like the 6310z. Also, make sure you play/buy the laquer version. The silver one plays like a Buick.
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

belagozzo wrote:
I dont know maybe its due to the fact that the Z has a .445 bore, but dont let that make you think, that the horn is Bright or Edgy sounding because it is Not. Alot of other trumpet players see the bore size, and turn their heads, and some what did at 1st considering I have usually played on .468 bores, but for some reason, this Light Weight, Medium Bore Trumpet has a Huge sound, providing you use the right air. .

If you really think about it and do the math from .445 to .460 that's a .015 difference... Now it doesn't seem so small does it.

Plus, doesn't the new 8310Z have a large bore tuning slide? I don't play a 8310Z but would encourage everyone who hasn't played them to test drive one. Yamaha puts out a really great product!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjdjazztpt wrote:

If you really think about it and do the math from .445 to .460 that's a .015 difference... Now it doesn't seem so small does it.

I think it's about a 3% difference. But when approached correctly, it plays much more open than some .460" and .464" horns I've played. CD is right-Give it a try. Yammie's putting out some good product.
TimCBrown

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjdjazztpt wrote:
Plus, doesn't the new 8310Z have a large bore tuning slide? I don't play a 8310Z but would encourage everyone who hasn't played them to test drive one. Yamaha puts out a really great product!

Yes, the 8310Z has a step bore. So, it's a bit misleading to interpret its listed bore size in the same manner that you would for horns without step bores.

I just bought the model a couple of weeks ago. I tried out a bunch of horns, and it did seem a smidge on the stuffy side at first. However, as belagozzo points out, I found that the horn really works with you if you give it proper breath support. I've been playing a '69 Bach strad since, well, '69. At times, the Bach seems to be afraid of heights. The 8310Z seems very comfortable in the rarified air, and it's got a nice sizzle up there.

- Tim Brown
ford850
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a 6310Z and really liked the sound but for me it was way too tight and played very differently than my other horns... looks like I am in the minority here . It didn't handle well for me either. I sold it to a friend as a backup who already owned one (he loves 'em) and later he traded it in for an 8310Z and is quite happy.
Getzen Renaissance 20S
Stomvi Master Bb cornet
Belcanto C
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:07 am    Post subject: 8310Z Reply with quote

I tried the 6310Z and 6310ZS several times, but couldn't get used to them. But I just got an 8310Z that was tweaked by Bobby, and it's a marvelous horn.

I have always used big equipment. I went from a CG Benge to a Large bore (.463) Yamaha 6340ST, which I'm told is based on the Schilke X3. I played that Yamaha for almost 20 years. I'm primarily a lead player.

After a break of a few years following my move from Orlando to Maine, I got the horn back out this January and have been beating my face for a few hours a day minimum. (I'm not willing to play like a weekend warrior, so until I was committed to keeping my face in top shape, I left the horn in the case. What was intended to be a few month break to let scar tissue heal became a few years before I realized it.) I got back to baseline chops on the 6340ST (note to self - never take more than a few days off again - rebuilding chops hurts!). Then I bought the 8310Z. The only thing I had to retrain myself is not to lean on the horn as much as I'm used to - the volume is there, I just don't have to work as hard. This is a Good Thing.

Rangewise, it's got a little better upper register for me. More specifically, the notes from G to double D slot better and speak more easily. It's also easier to get my target sound in the middle register. I confirmed on a visit with an old buddy in FL this past week that the volume is still there, and it projects as well or better as the 6340ST did. Not that I'm called on to use it much, but the low register is a lot fatter too.

I like it enough that I bought a second one as a backup! It's a significantly different horn than the 6310Z, I'm guessing because of the new bell, and I love it.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few people in the past have said the Z horn is bright and edgy. Now, in this thread some people are saying it a very warm horn with a fat sound. Which is it? A dark or bright?
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swingintrpt wrote:
cjdjazztpt wrote:

I think it's about a 3% difference.

It's a 3% difference in diameter. But it's almost a 7% difference in area. And a 14% difference in the energy a column of air must have to keep the flow rate the same in the two pipes.

That said, I find guessing who a horn will play based on its specs is an exercise in futility. There's no substitue for playing.
dan_ostler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD wrote:
A few people in the past have said the Z horn is bright and edgy. Now, in this thread some people are saying it a very warm horn with a fat sound. Which is it? A dark or bright?

I was at a Bobby Shew clinic recently, and the correct answer is both.

He uses two mouthpieces. His lead mouthpiece is in the 10 1/2C neighbourhood and his jazz piece is in the 3C neighbourhood. I'm guessing that's where the difference lies.
Olds Mendez, Clark Terry Flugel
Old Ambassador Cornet, Trumpet
Olds Mellophonium
(Is there a pattern emerging here??)
Hanns Hainlein 1632 Replica, MF Firebird
(I guess not......)
gregc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6310Z. I play a 3C cup and the horn can sound nice, warm, and fat.... if and when you back off let the horn just play. Put a little muscle into it and and it can sizzle like a great rock band horn. Personally, I had to work a bit on relaxing and backing off. The horn is very efficient.
gregc
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the Z is such an efficiant horn would it be possible for someone who is comfortable on a 3C to go even larger and still maintain the same range and endurance?

Also as you go up into the higher range will the horn ONLY sizzle or can it maintain a fatness/fullness to the sound?
bent tubing
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Z trumpet Reply with quote

i own a 6310Z and i think it's a great trumpet. i haven't played the 8310Z but from what i've heard (just hear-say) (not confirmed) a rumor that Bobby Shew was emphsymatic and needed a trumpet that could compensate for the shortness of breath and i think that it is easier to blow than alot of big bore trumpets because of the .445 bore but anyway don't take my word for it . test drive one for yourself and from what i hear on this forum i may want to try out the new 8310Z just for the fun of it, or for comparison's sake. i like the Z
smoothie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobD wrote:
Since the Z is such an efficiant horn would it be possible for someone who is comfortable on a 3C to go even larger and still maintain the same range and endurance?

Also as you go up into the higher range will the horn ONLY sizzle or can it maintain a fatness/fullness to the sound?

Bob,

I just put my Bach 3 away and swithched to the Curry 1 1/2 C and what a difference. I was very dissapointed with the sound on my 8310 with the 3 but now with the C cup it is a whole different horn. Thanks to Dave from, Denver-Dallas

Smoothle
Hub Van Laar-Custom, Gold
Selmer 80J matte finish
Yamaha 8310Z Gold engraved
Yamaha 9335 Silver
Bach Artisian
Bach Mariachi
Bach 37GLR,37M,
New York Trmpt Co. Broadway
gregc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also tried a 1.5C. I loved it. The horn sounded great; big, full, fat~
gregc
FDC05
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 6310ZS that I was trying to sell for a while. I still may sell it once I get my new horn from Fred Powell, but I'm not sure yet. It took me a while to get used to, but I am able to use it in big band/rock band stuff. I dont think I would ever bring it into a wind ensemble or orchestra setting. It does have a nice sound, but once I get into the upper register and really pump air, it brightens up much quicker than my other horn.

The mouthpiece reciever gap is also smaller on the 6310ZS than on my bach, so it does play a little different. It's an okay horn for lead stuff, but I have never really been sold on yamahas.... sorry.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Shew Z horn Reply with quote

I've had an 8310Z since October '04. I've played on a lightweight (43 bell/43 leadpipe) Bach for years, except for the occasional stray from it. I owned a 6310Z for a while, but it was too tight for me. The 8310Z to me doesn't feel like the same horn as the 6310Z. The slot is bigger, and the sound has more color or overtones to it. I am very pleased with the new version. It is as versitile as my lightweight Bach, but I don't have to kick it as hard to play it.

Pete
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

I'm in MA too. Where did you buy your horn? Did you try a few Z's before you settled on this one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: