• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Summer Music Camps

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRSpringer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Bill.
Adam will say there is more than one way to skin a cat. Try his ideas for a few weeks, and if it helps, great. But if it doesn't, forget it. I have found from personal experience, that when I encounter problems in my playing, it is because I have taken my "eyes off the goal," i.e. ears off the sound. When I have gone back for lessons, Adam always redirects my thinking toward that end result, and to get my mind off the other crap I was thinking about that was screwing up my playing in the first place.
Have some of us been arrogant in our attitude? Yes, some more than others. However, over the years I have learned to be more diplomatic, especially with new students, or when a student comes in with something their band director or someone else has said that is contradictory to our approach. Those of us who are Adam students have found his approach works the best for us, and we try to keep that single minded focus as we are playing, rather than going out and trying every new gimmick or method that comes out. One has to be careful when reading all the stuff out on the internet. There is some good stuff out there, but there also is a lot of crap, too.

Barry
ADziuk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I don't know where you would get the idea that the sound philosophy taught by Mr. Adam is geared toward Jazz/Commercial playing. Mr. Adam's sound concept isn't "geared" toward anything except being a good musician.

The only reason that it might appear that Mr. Adam's students are better commercial players is because of the insane facility on trumpet you need to have to do extreme commercial playing and Mr. Adam's teaching tends to give players that.

The last time I heard the story from Mr. Davis himself, it sounded like he actually wanted to be an orchestral player, but sort of fell into what he does now because at a young age there were few people around who could do what he could do. They even waived his probationary time in the union in Vegas to get him playing right away when he showed up.

Hey if Mr. Adam's approach isn't for you, that is absolutely fine. However, I would die of shock the day I ran into a person who said, " I studied with Mr. Adam for four straight years and believed every word, and practiced hard, and was a 100% dedicated student but his teaching just doesn't work very well."
popotrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill I gave it a good shot when I was doing it. The problems I had were personal. After going at it for about a year I looked back and saw that I really didn't like the direction I was going. I approached my teacher about this and he basically said 'my way or the highway'. So I left because I thought that was the wrong attitude for a teacher to have. Could I have been more successfull with this approach with another teacher? It's very possible. My problem was mainly with the teacher and he would teach by example and I just didn't care for his example. It was a personal thing. I'm not putting down the Adam school at all, I have a lot of respect for what it has produced and probably will continue to produce. I don't want to argue about philosophies because it will just go in circles with no clear outcome. Anywho, off to class. Peace out.

Bb-Bach 37
Piccolo-Scherzer 8111
Mouthpieces-Bach 1.5B, Purviance 8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: