• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Gigs again

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Gigs again Reply with quote

I'm not sure where to post this question, so I'll start here as the category sort of fits the situation.

Many years ago - like from about 1967-1972 - I played in an instrumental combo of brass and rhythm players playing a variety of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, a variety of instrumental covers of popular tunes from the times, a couple polkas, and a variety of music designed for dancing; both slow dancing and some up-tempo as well. Even some "old standards" (as then so defined) and a dixieland tune or two. It was a "variety" band. It wasn't a rock band; rather, an instrumental pop combo.

We played lots of gigs like wedding receptions, private parties, private dances, etc. Mostly gigs lasting 3-4 hours on Friday or Saturday nights. Anywhere from two to four gigs per month a month or so. We called them "one nighters." We had a lot of fun and it was also worthwhile for some extra money...

Here's my question...does anyone do this kind of thing anymore? Or, has the DJ basically taken over completely this market that used to exist for live bands?

I have also played in rock groups that played similar gigs, as well as the night club gigs, but I don't want to do that kind of thing anymore. Not interested in the night club environment, etc.

Does anyone think I could find a gig like I described at the beginning of this post nowadays, or is all that kind of playing a thing of the past? I'm thinking about doing some serious looking around - if it isn't a total waste of time...I've been out of touch with this kind of thing for a long time and still think that maybe there are still blacksmiths shoeing horses down the street...
surfhorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - There are gigs out there - it just takes work on a booker's part to sell the package. It depends on target marketing.

The music you played back in your college days is coming around again.
What about reunions, community benefits, etc? People love live music and maybe its time we took back the dance floor back from the DJs!

You may have to do a couple of carefully picked 'freebees' or low paying gigs- where you can gain max exposure - such as at a chili cookoff or 4th of July town festival.

I've always wanted to put together a 6-7 piece band doing TJB and Brazill 66 tunes. Throw in a few Beatles numbers and you're working! Good luck........ its time for a live music revolution!
Olds Super, 1964 w/ C.M. Purviance 5*K4
Marcinkiewicz: E8.4 Shew 1.75
Schilke Flugel; Kanstul Flugel
Kanstul Valve Bone
Surfboard quiver: 15
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's encouraging...thanks very much.

I think I'm going to start checking it out and see what I can come up with...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: