• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mllitary

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone at this forum play in a millitary band? I am interested in possibly joining the millitary sometime down the road and am interested in discussing that option with someone who already is in it, and can go into further detail about millitary life, etc.

bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the US Navy music program, stationed at Navy Band Southeast in Jax, FL. Drop me an email and I'll be more than happy to talk it over with you!

jgulyas@yahoo.com

John P. Gulyas, MU3, USN
US Navy Band Southeast
NAS Jax, Florida

[ This Message was edited by: JGulyas on 2002-08-04 14:40 ]
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if I could talk you into it, do you think you could discuss it here? Purely selfish reasons... I've kicked the idea around a bit, and would LOVE to have some more information.
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not allowed to email guys, especially ones my parents don't know personally so it'd be my personal preference to discuss it here too.....would that be at all possible?????
Otherwise.....I'll have to think of something else.....and my dad wants the puter right now otherwise I'd sit down and ask my questions now
ttul!
bonnie

Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okee Dokee, no problem!

What sort of things do you want to know? I suppose I could start out with just some basic stuff like pay, benefits, work day/rehearsals, gigs, etc.

The pay in the military definitely won't make you rich but it'll sure pay most of your bills with ease. The benefits cannot be beaten anywhere. Full medical coverage for you and your spouse (if you have one) as well as full dental for you. You get a housing allowance to help pay your rent/mortgage and also get an allowance for your food each month.

In most Navy bands the work day varies depending on how many ensembles you are in. For instance, I'm in the ceremonial/concert band, the brass quintet and the big band. Today hurt my face a bit as I had a lot of playing this morning in the quintet and then had to play a good bit in the big band in the afternoon. On the rare occasion I'll have a day of rehearsals with ALL the groups. Those days truly hurt! A typical work day is again varied by the group(s) you're in. Most days I come in at 8:30 am, rehearse until lunch time (generally 11:00) and either go home if there's nothing else scheduled or come back after lunch (1:00 pm) and rehearse till about 3. that's may day. Pretty easy!

You'll notice that most of the days/rehearsals/gigs depend on your performing groups. The bread and butter gig of any military band is the military ceremony. Pretty much all of these will bore anyone to near death and are almost guaranteed to make your butt go numb. We show up about 30 mins before the ceremony starts, play a few tunes (usually marches), sit thru the ceremony (enter numbing buttocks) and once it's done we go home. I've been in the Navy 6 years now and I don't think I've ever worked a 40 hour week yet.

Is it worth it? To me yes! I get paid just as much as some of the top minor league orchestras (more if you include the benefits) and I hardly work at all to get it! Yes many parts of the job are boring and mundane; but compare that to playing the 3rd part of Die Meistersinger! 450 bars rest to count, play I-V-I in whole notes then count another 300 bars until you play the last chord!

Am I in for 20? More than likely, unless I win an orchestra job that pays more than what I get now.

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask! Take Care!

John P. Gulyas, MU3, USN
US Navy Band Southeast
NAS Jax, Florida

[ This Message was edited by: JGulyas on 2002-08-06 21:50 ]
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to add to the post by MU3 Gulyas. I was also in the Navy Music Program, stationed with Navy Band Great Lakes just 30 miles north of Chicago. I really enjoyed my time in the Navy Band. If you love playing your trumpet, you'll be doing alot of that.

Our work day was very typical of the one described. Most days were not 8 hours long - we made up for it in the summer traveling to just about every festival in the state of Illinois and Wisconsin on the weekends. However, our boss was fair and gave us "comp time" during the week.

I also played in the brass quintet, ceremonial band, wind ensemble and big band - we called it the show band - don't know why - it was a big band! I also was a featured soloist, do you know "Concert Moods for Trumpet" written by Bryan Kidd? A fun piece to perform.

The toughest part about doing a long career in the Navy Bands is combating the boredom from doing the same type of gigs year after year. I really loved my first two years, but it started to get old and by the end of my first tour I felt that we played about 10 -20 gigs per year that made you feel really good about what you do. That's when you have to start finding the "pay gigs" as we called them. In Chicago there is no lack of gigs, you just have to know someone and play well to get asked and then get asked back. I had worked my way in with a few people and was getting some regular side work. That's combination that couldn't be beat. The Navy Band for your paycheck and keeping your chops up and then civilian jobs to keep your musicality going strong.

I would have loved to do a 20-year career, but my son, who has autism, has greater needs than me. My wife wanted to be near her family in the Cleveland area, so we decided to move and I got out. I got out as an MU2.

I can honestly say I loved going to work everyday that I was in the Navy Band. That's alot more than I can say now as a music teacher.

If you can handle the lifestyle and playing marches, it's a great experience!

[ This Message was edited by: clarion89 on 2002-08-06 22:21 ]
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to have a thing for deleting posts lately, I just had one written and it got deleted. Anyway, right now I'm a couple years away from 18, and if my parents don't ok going into the military even when I'm 18, I won't be pursuing that type of job. Right now they say it will be out of the question, but it MIGHT be a possibility. Anyhow, I'm still interested in learning as much as i can about it.
So....
Where DO you live?(in relation to where you rehearse, perform)
What is the least number of years you can join the military for?? I don't really want a career, rather an enlighting musical journey (meaning= I just want the experience of a couple years).
How hard is the audition, and what pieces did you play? Also, did they tell you ahead of time what pieces they wanted you to play (for the audit).
Do they consider ANYTHING at all when placing you in a certain location?
This is all for now,
thanks for your time!
hope to hear from you soon,
bonnie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie,

I'll hit your questions one at a time.

I live off base about 15 minutes away. Some people live as far as 45 minutes away and some folks live on the base itself. Where you live really depends on how much you can afford out in town or how far you want to commute. The people that live on base don't pay rent or any utilities but they don't get all the extra allowances.

The minimum enlistment is 4 years. Many people don't want to make the military a career and just use it as a stepping stone to the "real" world. I've known lots of top notch pros who just did one tour and then got out. It's all what you want to do I guess.

The audition is pretty tough for most people, especially those right out of high school. I thought it was pretty simple but I had just gotten a performance degree from a conservatory type school so I was very prepared for anything. The audition consists of scales, a prepapred solo and gobs of sight reading. They don't dictate what solo you play but (like all audition solos) they want to hear something that showcases all of your playing abilities.

They try to station you where you want to go but many times it's the needs of the organization that rule. For instance, let's say you really want to go to Seattle because you have lots of family there. Seattle happens to be full at the time and they really need someone in Italy or Japan. I hate to say it but you'll be going overseas before you go home in that situation. But like the ad says, "Let the Journey Begin!"

Hope this answers some questions for you!

Quote:

On 2002-08-07 19:16, trumpetplayer87 wrote:

Where DO you live?(in relation to where you rehearse, perform)
What is the least number of years you can join the military for?? I don't really want a career, rather an enlighting musical journey (meaning= I just want the experience of a couple years).
How hard is the audition, and what pieces did you play? Also, did they tell you ahead of time what pieces they wanted you to play (for the audit).
Do they consider ANYTHING at all when placing you in a certain location?

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about active military duty, is there any chance you would have to see live action if we got pulled into war?

Have to go through basic training?

And finally, what if you already have professional experience and wish to strictly audition for one of the premier ensembles ... granted a position is open....are there special benefits or raised pay depending on how high your level of playing is?
sfenick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I can't speak for the Navy people, I was in the Army. In the Army if there is a war, it all depends where you are stationed. If you are stationed with a division, it is entirely possible that you could find yourself deployed with that division. Should that happen, the typical scenario would have you pulling some form of guard duty, and performing ceremonies (and other gigs) should the tactical situation permit. If you are stationed on a basic training post, you would just stay at that post, business as usual.
Basic training is required for all servicepeople, even musicians going to special bands. In the Army, the basic training is 9 weeks long. The length of training varies from service to service, though I am not sure what the time is for Marines and Navy.
Each branch of service (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard) has at least one special band. These bands are auditioned seperately from the others, with the audition being more like an "orchestral" audition. You will have to perform a solo or two, some repertoire, and some sightreading. Competition for these jobs is pretty fierce, and the musicians are usually pretty doggone good. A quick note about the Air Force and Coast Guard......these branches do things a little differently than the other three. Army, Navy, and Marine musicians attend the Armed Forces School of Music in Norfolk, VA for training. The others audition seperately and do NOT attend this school. If you audition for a special band and make it, you do not attend the SOM. You do basic training and are sent immediately to the band in question. Also, these musicians are promoted immediately to the pay rate of E-6, as opposed to E-3 for musicians in regular bands. Also, at least in the Army (and I believe the Navy as well, not sure about the Marines), musicians are promoted to the rank of E-4 upon successful completion of the course of training at the SOM. These ranks roughly translate to more money, usually a couple hundred more per month per pay grade, give or take a few bucks.
Feel free to ask more questions. I will answer as best I can. Keep in mind the fact that I left service a couple of years ago, so some info could be outdated.
Thank you,
Steve Fenick
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USMC's DC band is exempt from Basic. Back in the 50's or 60's some wind players had fingers smashed by pugil sticks. The Corps' thinking is that if you're good enough to get the job, you have all the training you'll need. All of the premier DC band's sole duties are as musicians. You will not see combat or be transferred.
Later,
R
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to expand and clarify some of Steve's points...

In the Navy, unless you have a Bachelor's degree of higher you'll leave the SOM at E3 or below. With a completed 4 year degree you'll get E4.

Wartime in the Navy means no guard duty or anything else. We joined as musicians and we'll stay musicians. In fact (just to show how important we *really* are) on 9/11 and a couple of weeks after, we were sent home. They told us "don't even think about coming on the base unless you live there!" The only difference is if you happen to be underway on a ship and the ship gets called active you're along for the ride, however long that may be. During Desert Storm, the 7th Fleet band was on a 2 week cruise and their ship got called to the Gulf. That 2 week cruise turned into 6 months. All the did was rehearse and hang out.

Steve is right when he says the special band audition is a bear, and the competition is amazing as well. But if you make the audition, you're automatically an E6 which is pretty high up actually.

By the way Steve, when were you at the SOM?

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say E6 how much is that?

And if you get in one of the premier bands no basic or war action right?

[ This Message was edited by: dwm1129 on 2002-08-08 13:37 ]
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E6 is the rank you'll be. The "E" stands for Enlisted, Officers would be an "O." The 6 is your pay grade, enlisted grades are from E1-E9, officers go from O1-O9. E6 is pretty high up and I think the pay for an E6 under 2 years is right about $32K/yr. I also believe that doesn't include your allowances.

The only premier band where basic training is not required is the USMC band. All the others you have to go through boot camp. I was really worried about boot camp but it turns out it's not very bad at all...for the Navy at least. Yeah they scream and hollar at you a lot, make you do push ups all the time but you'll be in tip top shape afterwards, and you'll find you can put up with a lot of BS afterwards too!

As with all of the premier bands there is no war action. You may have to stand watch a time or two but all that entails is answering the phone. No biggie.

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the boot camp the same for men as for women??
bonnie

Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's the same. They are a little sympathetic to the various "situations" that happen, but they're not going to baby you or anything like that. I can't tell you how many times I would walk through the female barracks on the way to a muster and the drill instructors were screaming at the girls just like they were us! Honestly it made me feel good to see that because they were getting the *exact* same treatment as us guys!

Not gonna tell lies here, boot camp is no fun (well parts of it were, like the rifle range and the fire fighting) but you'll be very happy to leave once it's over!

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
JasonG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bonnie

I just wanted to add a couple things to this for you to think about. I'm also in the Navy as a trumpet player. I'm currently teaching trumpet at the School of Music. All the info John has given you is excellent, and the only thing I would add is the possibility for you to go overseas. We have 2 navy bands overseas, one in Yokosuka, Japan and the other in Naples, Italy. There is also a second band in Italy, however it is a NATO band, with musicians from Greece, Turkey, Italy, the US, etc.

My first band was Japan, and I loved it! Even if I had gotten out after that first tour, I would have taken sooooo much with me. Not only things I learned while being in a different country, but also all the places I got see. I was there for 5 years, and during that time I visited Okinawa, Korea, Russia, Australia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Guam, the Phillipines, China, and Hong Kong. All of these I went to more than once. Anyway, just some things for you to think about

MU1 Jason Gromacki

P.S. I was wondering, why is it out of the question for you to join in your parent's opinion? Is it the military music program, or the military in general?
trumpet1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw another navy band in town...awesom looking hearld trumpets......

The trumpet isn't spinning
The world is just revolving around it
sfenick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little more food for thought. I did two tours of Germany while I was in. The first was in Bad Kreuznach, and the second in Heidelberg. While I was with Heidelberg, in a span of about 6 months I went to France, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, and Italy.....all paid for by the Army. Needless to say, these were not deplyments......mostly concert tours. There is an Army band in Japan, 4 in Germany, one in Hawaii, and we have people in the band in Belgium as well. There are others as well, but I am sure you get the picture. There is absolutely NO better way to see the world than in a military band. Uncle Sam pays for it, and you get the experience of playing in front of VERY appreciative crowds with fine musicians as well as the rich cultural experience of seeing these foreign lands. I was forever changed by my experiences, and am a MUCH richer person for having been in the military.
Thank you,
Steve Fenick
P.S. in response to an earlier post, I was at the SOM from May-July 1997, and again from Oct. - Dec 2000 for BNCOC. I was urged to submit my packet to be on the faculty at the NCO Academy at the SOM, but got out before doing so. I also was qualified to teach trumpet there, but there was no billeting for an Army trumpet teacher at the time I was trying to go there. Too bad, because I REALLY wanted that gig!
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason,
my parents are planning that I will stay home untill I'm married, which I don't particularly mind, I don't want to leave for the sake of leaving. Thats part of it, the other part is I would be a female in a male world (so to speak) without my dad/husband/brother, and be "unprotected". I see their point. I really doubt I will be able to play, unless I happen to be married to a millitary guy. But...who knows! Anyhow....I will keep going w/ trumpet, even if I never play "seriously" I'm sure I'll have a great time. And I appreciate the info

bonnie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: