• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mllitary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-20 14:01, trumpetplayer87 wrote:
Jason,
my parents are planning that I will stay home untill I'm married, which I don't particularly mind, I don't want to leave for the sake of leaving. Thats part of it, the other part is I would be a female in a male world (so to speak) without my dad/husband/brother, and be "unprotected". I see their point. I really doubt I will be able to play, unless I happen to be married to a millitary guy. But...who knows! Anyhow....I will keep going w/ trumpet, even if I never play "seriously" I'm sure I'll have a great time. And I appreciate the info

bonnie

Wow. That's all I can say.
ziggy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-20 14:01, trumpetplayer87 wrote:
Jason,
my parents are planning that I will stay home untill I'm married, which I don't particularly mind, I don't want to leave for the sake of leaving. Thats part of it, the other part is I would be a female in a male world (so to speak) without my dad/husband/brother, and be "unprotected". I see their point. I really doubt I will be able to play, unless I happen to be married to a millitary guy. But...who knows! Anyhow....I will keep going w/ trumpet, even if I never play "seriously" I'm sure I'll have a great time. And I appreciate the info

bonnie

Bonnie,

This scares me. The question is: What do YOU want to do?

Zig
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to do whatever God has planned for me, whether it be a professional musician who travels the world, or a mother who cleans the house all day. And Nicholas...why the "wow"?
I really hope music will have something to do with my future, and I'm sure it will, but if I'm destined for community bands, thats ok. If I end up in the millitary, that would be ok too. really, as long as God grants the peace to be happy, it doesn't matter where/who you are.
bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,

I was in the Navy Band Program for five years and just finished in July. I am now looking into the Air Force Band Program.

The reason I'm doing this is complex but here goes. Everything JGulyas is saying is true. That is the job. In the Navy you play a TON of ceremonies and it can get to you after a while when most of your jobs are not fulfilling. Most people at a ceremony aren't paying any attention at all. If you are a serious trumpet player and want to have a more fulfilling experience in the military the Navy has two premiere bands worth looking into. They can be as difficult as some orchestra auditions. The Air Force does things differently. They have a different mission. Instead of playing marches at ceremonies all the time, they do what I thought I would be doing in the Navy. They play public concerts in FULL CONCERT BANDS (60 piece, not sixteen like the navy) and perform educational clinics. I am glad that I was in the Navy. I learned a lot and became a better player. Now I want to play with better musicians and play more challenging literature. Also the Air Force has much more funding. This means when they travel it's more in style and the instruments you play on (you get to choose one yourself) are nicer. It makes a big difference to me. You get all the benefits of the Navy or any other service band, but then more. If you have any specific questions let me know. I don't mean to sound like a recruiter at all. Military life isn't for everyone. Also don't think I'm dogging on the Navy program. It has it's place and there are good musicians there too. I just believe that the Air Force is the cream of the crop.
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie,
Everything JGulyas,Clarion89 and Cronsell said is right on the money. I have been in Navy music for just over 10 years now and I agree with the comments.
Military music is not easy,but if you keep the right mind set and stay focused on your goals you will have a great time,see and do things others just dream about.But as with ANY group you will have a few people that work very hard at being negative ,but you will also find a few that are wonderful players and great to be around..........we can learn ALOT from both.
Like I said I have been in over 10 years,I haven't lived in the states since'92 . I was stationed in Guam ,been all over that area of the world,now I'm in Naples Italy,been all over this part of the world.........playing trumpet........not a bad deal!!
Please write down yours goals,short term 1-2 weeks,to long term 5-10 years (It really helps seeing them on paper)then really think and pray about them and see if military music would be the best way for you to achieve your goals. Keep us posted!!
Nate
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bonnie
All I had was 'wow' because I didn't know that thinking along those lines of 'let my parents decide my fate' was still around.

The whole idea of 'my parents have X planned for me' for a person (I'm guessing) that is 18 or so is mind boggling. Color me crazy, but it's my opinion that it's not a parents job to plan ANYTHING for their childrens future (as adults), it is there responsibility to prepare them for the real world, teaching things like social skills, problem solving and just general independance. Seems like your folks think along opposite lines.

It seems as though you are a generally happy person. That's great. However, don't let yourself be fooled into thinking that the whole world is out to get you, and you desperately need your father and brothers to fend for you. I speak from the perspective of the oldest brother, with 2 little sisters - one is 22 and about to graduate university, the other is 14 going on 30. You can imagine the kind of 'brotherly' frustrations that go along with both of them. They are both kickass independent women who know what they want and are not afraid of working their tails off to get it. You don't need to hide in your parents coattails to succeed!

I agree with the earlier poster who suggested that you itemize your list of priorities, and then pray on those. You are (or should be) fully capable of making quality, informed decisions for yourself, along with gettin in there with your own elbow grease to make them happen. Your parents and brothers have their own lives to lead, nevermind leading yours for you too.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree, Nick, particularly on the coasts, the progressive people in middle of the country seem all to be in Chicago (kidding, I know that's not true...).
No, not progressive, but the Norm as it is now, where INDIVIDUALS regardless of sex (or anything divisive) are free to become self-actualized on their own terms.

You didn't mention the "I would be a female in a male world" part. I beg to differ...the women run things now. Some men are reacting to it badly, but mostly the social pressures in our culture are comming from the "kick ass women"!

The other day some young folks in 19th century clothing were handing out Jesus oriented pamphlets on the street near where I work. They turned out to be Menonites from Mendon Massachusetts. (a coincidence?) I didn't take flyers because I am against what will become litter, so I picked one off of the ground. Maybe this young lady is living in a community that seeks to turn-back-the-clock. It's a big country. They have their right to persue happiness how they see fit. As long as they aren't like the Shakers, (no sex allowed at all) they may survive and thrive.

TO Trumpetplayer87 who wrote: "I want to do whatever God has planned for me"... Sometimes God gives an opportunity, it's up to us to take it. ANYTHING that has EVER existed (including the good works of Faith) happened because an individual had a dream. They take it out and polish it, and do what it takes become ready for it with work and visualization, (or prayer) but when the opportunity comes, and it will, the person has to be willing to get up walk through the door to the new land. Only the individual can make the choice.

[ This Message was edited by: pfrank on 2002-08-26 17:09 ]
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Pfrank, there was only so much I could remember without going back to double check...

I think Women have 'run things' for a lot longer than us 'men' would care to admit. Some of the greatest literature (and music!) was written by women using male names in order to get published, or recognized. Without going into a long diatribe about the female role in society, lets just say that we all know how much control women have over the men. Well, some know and some don't, but anyway....

I suppose our pal Bonnie is using electricity to power her computer to surf with us, so that takes her out of the running for the Quakers. Unless she's a genius and has figured out how to access the information superhighway by using 3 inches of duct tape, the headlight from a '29 Model A and 13 1/2 lbs of cow dung.

And absolutely! Everyone has their right to pursue their own personal happiness. It doesn't seem like Bonnie is doing that, but then again it is her right to have her personal happiness dictated to her. Just like horns, mouthpieces, favorite players, etc.... TO EACH HIS/HER OWN! Just please let it be YOUR own, not someone else's 'own'.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick, yer killin me! Too funny. 13 1/2 pounds...

BUT, duct tape is a product of a technological society.
The Quakers (the Society of Friends) are allowed to participate in the world. Nixon was a Quaker...ah hem...but not the C. Objector kind...
I said "Shakers". Maybe you never heard of them, they had a community in New Hampshire. They made the most elegant, simple and beautiful furniture in the world. The song, "It's a gift to be simple, it's a gift to be free, it's a gift to come down right where you ought to be..." was theirs. The last one died and went to heaven a few years back.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I got the Shaker bit, I was just going for some religiously based group famous for their lack of involvement or interest in regular society. I think the Quakers are down in the PA area, but I could be wrong.

If you can't fix it, duct it. If you can't duct it,..... you get the idea.

Oh, and I checked the recipe when I went home for lunch, and I was wrong. It was 13 1/2 inches of duct tape, and 31 lbs of cow dung. You REALLY gotta want to get on the net!
Greens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie,
can I just say that I've been a trumpet player now for almost 20 years, 6 in the navy band, and there are very few of us that I would actually take advice from;^) Just do what YOU know is right for you. That being said, I agree with 99.9% of the stuff these people have said about life in the military band. I spent 4 great years in Seattle and now find myself in Naples, Italy. At this point in life I wouldn't trade it for anything. As for spending a career in the military music program I'm not so sure. I share in your earlier mentioned quest for musical fulfillment and to be honest I haven't found it here. I am working hard right now with the plan to make one of the premier bands when my time is up here. If it doesn't work out I am going to start working on a master's degree. OK my point is, unless you are a REAL fan of playing military march music, don't look for musical fulfillment in a regional military band. If you are looking for a job playing the trumpet there are very few that beat the one I have. My two euro pennies worth... Good luck to you
Sincerely, Jason Johnson

[ This Message was edited by: greens on 2002-08-28 05:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: greens on 2002-08-28 05:50 ]
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greens, see you at work domani..............don't we get paid on the 1st. ?
Nate
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FRIED GREENS!!!!

Hey man! Nice to see you're still alive over there! I enjoyed the mass email Kim sent out. Nice to hear you're going to go for one of the big shot bands. I know you're one of the guys who can win that gig.

I just took a principal trumpet audition for an orchestra up in GA on Saturday. I *still* have not heard back from them even though I was one of the finalists. Maybe I'll hear something soon...starting to go nuts here!

How's Muck, Teeth and Tupac?

By the way, want any of my Monette 'pieces? I switched to Warburton.

Later man!

Gillis

John P. Gulyas, MU3, USN
US Navy Band Southeast
NAS Jax, Florida

[ This Message was edited by: JGulyas on 2002-08-27 22:07 ]
Greens

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh...yeah that would be the 1st and the 15th, my personal favorites.

Hey Gillis, nice to hear from you. We have been on the road so much I really haven't been in contact with anyone from the Nato band. Occasionally I see them at cookouts. The travel can get difficult at times but the experience of being on the road is priceless. Keeping your chops together on tour is a whole new ballgame.

Hey keep it real buddy! Please give Andy a big sloppy kiss for me and Nathan.

Take care, Jason

[ This Message was edited by: greens on 2002-08-28 05:47 ]
trumpetplayer87
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...you guys/girls are downright funny....lol (you sound like my brothers). Let me rephrase what I earlier stated, and I think all of you will understand where I'm coming from (unless you are all atheists or something, which it doesn't sound like). I happen to be a Christian, and I'm not an extreme conservative like it sounds as if you are taking taking me as (no electricity, etc). I just happen to trust my Creator (God . And, I also know that He's put my parents over me for a reason, and if its His will for me to go into the millitary, He can work through my parents and thus make it possible. For those of you who might not understand why God's way would not be just to take the opportunity at 18 and leave, the Bible is very clear about children obeying their parents. I'm not going to bother to go into to much detail about that, coz it would take a while, and it's [seemingly] much debated point. Lets just say I don't look at the age 18 the magic age to just do whatever you care to do. So....while it might be very unpleasant to not do certain things, it is the most awesome thing to sit back and just know that God is looking out for you. It doesn't get any better than that. Really, for those of you who are Christians, you know what I'm talking about. And for those of you who aren't, I'll be praying that you too will come to know the peace that fills you when you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It's really awesome! It's a life change, your whole outlook on life changes. Which is why I'm able to look at this in the way that I do.

I'll be around...and I'll try to answer any further posts. thanks

bonnie

Sounds: http://www.sitesled.com/members/bonniej

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my how we have digressed...does anyone else have anything to offer in the topic of military bands?
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-10 11:38, Greens wrote:
Oh my how we have digressed...does anyone else have anything to offer in the topic of military bands?

Jason,

As a matter of fact, yes! The US Coast Guard band in hiring section trumpet (aud is 21 Oct) and the USAF is still taking OSVETs (prior service). I'm working on setting up an audition for the AF, may even get brave and try the USCG audition.

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
donalson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bring this one back up...

I’ll be going back to school next fall, most likely at the university of Alabama.

My dad was in the air force for 21 1/2 years (I was born as a military brat) so I know a good bit about the basic stuff everyone has no clues about.

My question goes on about the reserve. In Birmingham they have a reserve band, they play their 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year and all that fun stuff, after talking to them if they had a slot open and I made it in they would pay my way though school, a definite plus not to mention the “experience” I’d gain. Knowing what the military is like I’d be interested in going at it as a career, music of course. Any idea of how hard it would be to switch over from the reserve band to a full time enlisted band? What options do they have for officers in music? Would rank stay the same when switching over?

Just random questions

Thanks
Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-11 23:07, donalson wrote:
My dad was in the air force for 21 1/2 years (I was born as a military brat) so I know a good bit about the basic stuff everyone has no clues about.

My question goes on about the reserve. In Birmingham they have a reserve band, they play their 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year and all that fun stuff, after talking to them if they had a slot open and I made it in they would pay my way though school, a definite plus not to mention the “experience” I’d gain. Knowing what the military is like I’d be interested in going at it as a career, music of course. Any idea of how hard it would be to switch over from the reserve band to a full time enlisted band? What options do they have for officers in music? Would rank stay the same when switching over?

Just random questions

Thanks
Mark

Mark, as I understand it, going from the Reserves to Full Active means you will loose a rank unless you can fanagle your recruiter. With the AF bands you have to audition for a certain opening. Not so in the Army, Navy and Marines (general fleet/field bands).

As far as officer musician programs, most are set up to take their enlisted people from within the bands. To do this you have to be a certain rank with a certain amount of years in before you're even considered.

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-09-02 14:07, trumpetplayer87 wrote:
lol...you guys/girls are downright funny....lol (you sound like my brothers). Let me rephrase what I earlier stated, and I think all of you will understand where I'm coming from (unless you are all atheists or something, which it doesn't sound like). I happen to be a Christian, and I'm not an extreme conservative like it sounds as if you are taking taking me as (no electricity, etc). I just happen to trust my Creator (God . And, I also know that He's put my parents over me for a reason, and if its His will for me to go into the millitary, He can work through my parents and thus make it possible. For those of you who might not understand why God's way would not be just to take the opportunity at 18 and leave, the Bible is very clear about children obeying their parents. I'm not going to bother to go into to much detail about that, coz it would take a while, and it's [seemingly] much debated point. Lets just say I don't look at the age 18 the magic age to just do whatever you care to do. So....while it might be very unpleasant to not do certain things, it is the most awesome thing to sit back and just know that God is looking out for you. It doesn't get any better than that. Really, for those of you who are Christians, you know what I'm talking about. And for those of you who aren't, I'll be praying that you too will come to know the peace that fills you when you have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. It's really awesome! It's a life change, your whole outlook on life changes. Which is why I'm able to look at this in the way that I do.

I'll be around...and I'll try to answer any further posts. thanks

bonnie

Very well expressed, Bonnie. It sounds like you and your parents are in some harmony.

But what would you do if you weren't in agreement with your parents? What if your parents were "athiests" and told you your faith was stupid? What if they told you there is no such thing as "art" and any artistic goals were stupid? I grew up in that kind of climate.

To go further, what would you do if your parents told you to hurt people because they are convinced God told them that was their mission in life?
What would you do if your sexuality as a woman was considered the root of all earthly evil and your mother (as did her mother before her) had decided that you had to have the operation to have "It" removed? This the case for millions of young women in the Middle East and N. Africa. Do those young women have the right to rebel?

When you play the trumpet, do you use your "will" or does something else do the work for you?

All I said above was that God provides the opportunity, it's up to the person to choose to take it...freedom of choice is fundamental!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: