• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brian Lynch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swinger_006
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Brian Lynch Reply with quote

Was downtown (in SD) on Tuesday to catch Gilbert Castellanos' show (a really great player whom everyone should check out). Turns out Gilbert was off for the night- pianist Gerald Clayton and a trio were holding down the stage. Amazing! Of course...then he invited up Brian Lynch! my friend and I were stunned!

Long story short, Brian Lynch played amazing. I signed up on "the list" and got to go up and play a tune with the band. Just to "toot my own horn" a bit (pun intended), both Brian and Gerald gave me great comments and told me to come play again when they were playing. Talk about encouraging!

Anyway...my story of the week. Everyone should check out Brian Lynch.

"Love yourself- and make your instrument sing about it." -Kurt Vonnegut
"If you can't swing, get weird!" -Billy Byers
www.timgillmusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
loweredsixth
Heavyweight Member

Location: Fresno, California, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to high school with Gilbert (really good player.) I just missed hearing Brian Lynch here in fresno (that hurt.) I heard that he sounds more amazing than ever. But, my friends told me that he was not playing on his Monette. What gives?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Brian Lynch at a blues & jazz festival a few years ago. He was staying in the same hotel that I was, and that night after his gig, joined in a jam session that was happening in the hotel commons area. I stayed up and listened for hours - and was totally blown away! He played two different Monetts that night.

I felt like shoving my horn under the bed and giving up playing.
swinger_006
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But, my friends told me that he was not playing on his Monette. What gives?

He was playing a Xeno on tuesday. What model monette does he usually play?

"Love yourself- and make your instrument sing about it." -Kurt Vonnegut
"If you can't swing, get weird!" -Billy Byers
www.timgillmusic.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, good player...but think he should be a nicer guy.
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Lynch is now a Yamaha Artist. He plays a prototype 8310.

I have heard that he still is seen out with his Monettes from time to time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
johnagrandy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Lynch was in San Diego recently? Was this a tour or just a random thing?

Rats. I've been waiting for years to see him live. (I never make it to NYC).

As far as being a nice guy, I wouldn't know ... but he did answer my e-mail ... when most other talents at his level haven't ...
BSTRUMPET85

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every one should check out his early stuff with Art Blakey. Really good playing.
bluenote
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: BL Reply with quote

Brian's always returns my Emails as well. He always comes across as a pretty nice guy to me.

Yamahaguy: did you have a bad experience with him?

Brent
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He rubbed me the wrong way at IAJE this past January. I noticed him in a seminar and approached him afterwards. In front of me there were a couple of high school kids who recognized him and wanted his autograph. He told them to go buy his CD and he'd sign that. I thought that was in bad taste. After hearing that I left followed by these two kids. After we got outside I said to them, "He's a good player, but I wouldn't spend my money on him now." They agreed. Hey, maybe he was having a bad day but if you've got fans I believe you should be humbled by that or else you won't have them for long.
Horatio Hornblower
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine how you'd feel about Miles if he brushed you off in his notorious manner? At a jazz conference, where artists are hawking their wares, it is not an unusual request to ask fans to buy a CD for signing. To see it another way, the high school kids might have understood this, and demonstrated their "admiration" Brian by supporting him with a purchase. It works both ways.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Imagine how you'd feel about Miles if he brushed you off in his notorious manner?

Not really a fair comparison. I would be honored to be brushed off by Miles.

"Hey Dudes, Miles actually took the time to brush me off!"
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
rg3000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not really a fair comparison. I would be honored to be brushed off by Miles. "Hey Dudes, Miles actually took the time to brush me off!"

This reminds me of a master class I attended, hosted by Randy Brecker. If I'm not mistaken, somebody asked him to tell one of his most humbling moments as a musician. Randy then told us how he once went up to Miles and introduced himself.

Randy: "Hi, I'm Randy Brecker"
Miles: *blank stare*

Miles totally ignored him.

While this may have felt humbling at the time, if it happened to me I'd probably refer to it as one of my COOLEST moments. From the way Randy was smiling about it, I got the impression he was proud of it too. I mean, come on, it's Miles!

Sorry to sidetrack the tread. Just agreeing with crzytptman...
dambly
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian was on the faculty at the Stanford Jazz Residency in 2004, which I attended. He was without a doubt one of the most engaging, conscientious and encouraging instructors there. He spent lots of extra time with as many of his students as he could; he went the extra mile with the ensemble he was coaching (even writing arrangements for them); he engaged freely in trumpet talk with the members of the trumpet class (and let quite a few try his horn); attended (and often played) in after-hours jam sessions. He was very accessible and friendly to all the students at the residency.

And he played a *very* inspiring concert.

Definitely check him out if you get a chance.
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Brian Lynch Reply with quote

Brian is one of the nicest, most humble and most of all, one of the finest jazz trumpet players around today.
I simply can't believe that Brian would ever be rude to anyone especially not kids asking for an autograph. I simply do not believe this. In the very unlikely case that it did happen, there might have been some mitigating circumstance and we don't hear the whole story. Also: a lot of better known musicians and performers of any kind get constantly barraged with requests..you can't be everything for everybody all the time.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure he's a really sweet guy...but he sure did leave a bad impression. Hey, chalk it up to a bad day, no big deal.
brianlynchjazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:06 am    Post subject: brian lynch Reply with quote

A friend of mine hipped me to this thread, and I've been reading your posts with interest - thanks for the support!

The posts concerning my alleged "bad behavior" at IAJE 2005 surprised and disturbed me, however.

(Quote from yamahaguy)

"He rubbed me the wrong way at IAJE this past January. I noticed him in a seminar and approached him afterwards. In front of me there were a couple of high school kids who recognized him and wanted his autograph. He told them to go buy his CD and he'd sign that. I thought that was in bad taste. After hearing that I left followed by these two kids. After we got outside I said to them, "He's a good player, but I wouldn't spend my money on him now." They agreed. Hey, maybe he was having a bad day but if you've got fans I believe you should be humbled by that or else you won't have them for long."

(end yamahaguy quote)

I have no recollection whatsoever of this supposed incident and categorically deny having made the above statement to those two students. Anyone who knows me knows that I would never blow off anyone in this manner. Incidentally, I had no CDs for sale at IAJE, not being a featured performer or clinican there that year. I do love sharing with students and fans, and knowing that I can connect with some listeners, however few, is a great part of what keeps me going and trying to learn more about what I do. So this sort of unsubstantiated flame really hurts.

Yamahaguy, maybe you had me confused with someone else? I'm racking my brain thinking about whether I could have been in some sort of inexplicable bad mood that day and had said something out of character, but I can't see it. You might need to check your memory about this incident as well.

Brian Lynch
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Brian, You have to get down here to New Orleans!!! I've been at you for years about this and I am not going to stop until you come down!!! Until then take it light. I have been enjoying the ArtistShare thing you and Eddie are doing. Can't wait to hear the CD in December.

Cory
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: brian lynch Reply with quote

brianlynchjazz wrote:
Yamahaguy, maybe you had me confused with someone else? I'm racking my brain thinking about whether I could have been in some sort of inexplicable bad mood that day and had said something out of character, but I can't see it. You might need to check your memory about this incident as well.
Brian, first off...I'm glad you are here (TH)-welcome. Secondly, I am well aware of who you are-I was not confused. You were there, it was you. Lastly, whether or not you had CD's there or not is not the question. I believe the comment was in reference to any one of your recordings. And it could have been tongue-in-cheek, but I nor those kids took it that way. Listen, I respect you not only as a trumpet player but as an extremely talented jazz artist as well. Perhaps you were having a bad day, which we all have. Perhaps you didn't mean it that way at all. And that is fine...if you don't remember, that's fine too. I was just stating to the forum what I heard. No big deal. As an educator and performer I have come across many musicians, and I pride myself on being able to spot character. I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding.
All the best,
-Dennis
the chief
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian

I hear you studied at the Conservatory of Music in Milwaukee. I am currently a student of Mike Plog's and Dave Bayless'. I am learning a lot from these guys.

I really dig your playing, and I'd love to chat with you if you ever have time. Do you have an email address?

chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: