• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Has this happened to you guys before?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redhawktrumpet85
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Has this happened to you guys before? Reply with quote

So, I practice a lot every day and I don't miss days unless circumstances out of my control dictate it. I practice smart-resting as much as I play, focusing on sound and sound alone. However, recently, my high range has taken a nose-dive. Toward the end of the school year, my range was about an E or F on good days and D-Eb every day. However, the past 2 weeks I've been struggling to get above high C! Is this just because something is changing in the way I play and my body is in a state of adjustment? To answer the first questions everyone will ask me...my range sounds the same from top to bottom (for the most part...still working through that) and the quality of sound is generally good. Maybe I'm just thinking to much about this and should shut up and pick up my horn for another few hours today, but I just wanted to know if any of you guys have had an experience like this before. Thanks!
kevinwoods
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt,

It sounds like what you are descibiing is being physically worn out. Take a couple days off. If you are breathing correctly, it is good to give your Ol' air support muscles a break!! I used to never take days off, then I realized that any athlete that didn't take a regular day off once in a while would be a fool and burn him/herself out. Take two days off, and come back to the horn only focusing on your breathing for the first session. It is easy when you are young to think that days off are bad, but everybody needs rest!!

-Kevin
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is impossible to diagnose your problem without hearing you play, but I would bet if you listen more carefully you will hear your sound is changing as you approach the high register. Make sure you are listening to good examples, Doc, Bud, Charly Davis, Jussi Bjorling. Check your air with the water bucket and play lots of lyrical etudes that are not too demanding such as your Getchell and the songs in the back of Arban's. You can always give Mr. Adam a call or better yet get back to Bloomington!
redhawktrumpet85
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Bill, you really know your stuff!
I just did another session and was listening even more closely, and sure enough my sound changed as I went up...I know usually adjectives don't properly describe what our ears pick up in these cases, but as I got higher, my sound seemed to thin out and became much brighter...like the higher I went, the less bottom there was on the sound. I do need to give Mr. Adam a call...just gotta find a weekend where I can get out there...with my brother graduating the next few weekends are looking pretty bad!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: