• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Working band forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about it? Special needs and valuable conversation/information could be exchanged here.

I would be happy to serve as moderator.
This could be placed in the Performance area.

I wonder how many of you will recognize what a valueable suggestion I'm making here?
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it would be an interesting topic although it doesn't have much to do with trumpet playing per se. I do my best to stay as far away from the business end of the band that I play with as I can. I play my horn, I sing lead vocals on a few tunes, backup on the others, and I call it a day. If I had to deal with the business end of the deal, I might not do it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many things have been suggested here, but who can put them into operation? The youth forum was discussed very entertainingly, but I don't see it...
What topics would you suggest? Perhaps they could be disscussed one at a time.
You've sorta mentioned something--how do you play demanding high endurance gigs and still work on things that soft playing relates too? I love where my playing gets when I don't have to play loud lead parts--I'd rather work on tone and flexability, but ya gotta make the mark. Last week I took a day off because I had to! My band is on hiatus for two weeks, and I'm really looking forward to it!
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PFrank:

Hopefully I understand your question correctly.
My background includes years of playing classical stuff that is many times played softly.
I've even incorporated it in to my practice routine.

We try to stress dynamics in my loud noisy dance band and will occasionaly play softly for various tactical reasons.

Many of the related topics to be discussed are randomly found mixed in to other areas(which does not include those who may not be working on a professioanl basis).

You want me to comb through the forums and pick out relevant(and out of place) posts that have been made?
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-06 13:47, jgadvert wrote:
PFrank:
Hopefully I understand your question correctly.
My background includes years of playing classical stuff that is many times played softly.
I've even incorporated it in to my practice routine.
We try to stress dynamics in my loud noisy dance band and will occasionaly play softly for various tactical reasons.
Many of the related topics to be discussed are randomly found mixed in to other areas(which does not include those who may not be working on a professioanl basis).

You want me to comb through the forums and pick out relevant(and out of place) posts that have been made?

I don't think that'll be necessary...unless you want to. Maybe there is something like a bible code here that will...oh never mind.

My main question relating to a working band forum was what topics would you suggest that would warrant a whole forum section? I gave one topic as an example. It's just something I'm working on that I'd read you mentioning: the endurance thing when you need to function commercially. (Hearing yourself well is key to staying within yourself and not overblowing.)
I do see your point, it would save time finding something you're interested in IF you don't want to read about Don's birds or how glorious it was when a drum core lead section played dubba O's, or how SC is gonna change the world...but I like those things too, and have even learned a thing or two.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Where do the various instruments/players get postioned on stage

-social/business/administrative issues dealing with other musicains (like rythm section players

-How much to charge for gigs

-Numerous technical sound quality issues
PA's, monitors, etc...

- stupid stuff like Favorite beverage

-favorite type of group you ever played with

-band director issues(given up on using the word leader here; I'm sorry to say

I could go on and on and on.........
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those sound good to me! Logistics and social factors are just as important as playing ability in the commercial world. Each of those topics have been covered to some degree on different forums, but how do you get it to happen? (A new forum area) Who has the power? This comments/suggestion section is huge, but what happens to those suggestions? TH ain't bad as is...
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think PFrank is on it. I too would be very into having a dedicated forum, but it doesn't seem like all the great ideas that are spawned here ever make the 'final cut'. Also, I think that great list of possible topics you came up with as a possible starting point all have valid points and things that would be of great value in their various applicable forums. Maybe you could take it upon yourself to kind of 'backseat moderate' by posting different thoughts and threads in their different areas? Kinda like Dave Bacon does with his 'brain droppings'? Except with a particular thrust to get a real conversation going... You're right that it would be nice to have it all codified and available in one place, but I for one would be more than willing to sort through the minutia to get to gems like those! Just a thought though... keep on keepin on.
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most shows(high school, club dates, whatever) start and depend on logistics, social and related factors being handled. I know that and maybe others do too!(probably not!)

How to make it happen?(thats my specialty!)

I'm sure the forum administrator reads this stuff and everybody likes a good idea!
I can only try....
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great magazine out on the stands on just such an issue is "GIG" magazine. Equipment reviews, gig info, tips on packing, sound, lights, emergency repairs, etc......! It even has Bill Churchville as a contributing editor!!

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...

Working band forum 111 views and Teen forum 950+ views. Views=interest.

Ok boys and girls, I think that says it all.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now now, let's talk quality vs. quantity! I think it's safe to say that our young friends spend more time on here ON AVERAGE than the 'working band' types. I, of course am the exception because of my crappy banking sales job with no immediate supervisor!

Plus, there was a whole lot of debate going on as to the need for a teen forum, and pretty much everyone here I think is in agreement that this working band forum is a good idea.

C'mon Todd! How 'bout it?!?!?!?!?!!!!!
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Nick, as I say, it is what it is. There is no need for it apparently based on lack of interest. Why, even the Preparation H subject received four times the interest.

Actually, I think the Pros and Cons idea would be overall, more of interest to all ages. Three times as many folks seemed to take a look.

I'll try to think of an idea that appeals to a wider amount of people. Trumpet players from NY? ... nah..next idea. hmmmm
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Actually, I think you have hit on something that isn't covered by any other forum (except the Lounge which covers anything, right?) and that is the business and non-musical part of gigging. For example,

1. ALWAYS carry ear plugs (I recommend E.A.R. brand or anything like them) if you are going to back up any Rock 'n' Roll acts.

2. In ANY steady band in which you work, NEVER get brow beaten into having an amp placed behind you.

3. Maybe some questions and support on copyright topics.

There could be many great threads on this one. I just think the more general, GIGS, category would be better than the working band, which is just one aspect of playing for a living (or a buck).

Can't see that this kind of forum would require a special moderator though. But it would be a good addition to the PERFORMANCE category.

[ This Message was edited by: bugleboy on 2002-08-15 14:22 ]
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charly and Nick:

Thank you for your positive responses. The topics you mentioned are very interesting(to me). I've written some hook laden originals(specifically for top 40 radio that fellow trumpeters would probably dislike for lack of technical depth). I and am trying to learn how to protect my songs(copyright) with the government. A friend is supposed to be giving me the proper forms soon.

But as said, if this is not a topic of interest to a large enough amount of posters, it's sadly not feasible... I think? With the apparent deomographics I perceive on TH, perhaps forums more applicable specifically to young people would garner the most interest.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all of a sudden I feel like I'm trying to talk YOU into it, and this was YOUR idea!

I think it's a great idea, and will be a great reference point for students of the business AND the horn. Many of our younger brethren don't YET know how valuable this info will be as they aren't exposed to the business side of things. For many, ESPECIALLY the best players, they spend so much time with the horn that they forget or never learn how to foster a relationship with other band members, managers, booking agents and other folks at clubs/venues, their crowd, labels, studio engineers, etc. Don't give up, this is a GREAT idea!!!!
jgadvert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would bounce this baby back up to the top. Arnt the other recent posts topics here exciting?(not).

If the TH community warrants this type of forum(and that sadly is a big if) ..I think it would potentially be one of the best.

If not....hey! whats your favorite brand of piccolo trumpet?(snoor!..zzzzz)
RJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would be a useful forum too. Have any of you guys checked out the book- The Touring Musician- by Hal Galper. Great resource for gigging info, aside from the actual expereince of doing it yourself, and getting to talk to others that are gigging...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: