• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CC and isometrics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfitrp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Charles, Hello Friends

I read the topic "getting started" with Caruso a few days ago and found it very informative although I think I before had the understanding that this are exercises to develop the resiprational and facial muscels.
I think that the Caruso exercises have helped me to develop a safe high D (played, not hitted) and a very good endurance. The recovery time is less than before.
My question is: I cannot practice every day so I do isometric exercises (pressing the lips together) while driving and listening to Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard.
What thought Carmine Caruso about isometrics.
If you are interested in my background you can read in the Lounge the topic "paralyzed"
It sounds like a joke, but I cannot tap with my foot. so i have to do this in my mind (like many other things)

greetings Wolfi
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfi,

To my knowledge, Carmine had no exercises that did not incorporate actual playing on the horn. And he preferred it to be without a mute.

I really like playing the leadpipe for a few minutes, several times a day. I don't know what Carmine would have to say about it, but I like the taste I'm developing by engaging in it. And, although I usually play something on the horn right after, I'm not sure if there is as much urgency to do this, as opposed to, say, mouthpiece drills or free buzzing, which should be followed immediately by horn playing.

Maybe Pat has some words of wisdom about the leadpipipe playing.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always keep a leadpipe and mouthpiece in the car and play it while driving. This is how I stay warm on my way to a gig. I find that it is pretty easy to relate the blow feel and embouchure "taste" of playing leadpipe to the horn and is pretty easy to find my balance on the horn after doing this.

When I buzz the mpc. or free buzz very much my balance on the horn often seems skewed unless I immediately play on the open trumpet for a while afterwards.

Charly is also right about that thing of playing too much in the mute. This also can make it hard for me to find my balance on the open horn. Russ Morgan and Lombardo gigs can be deadly if not approached properly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: