• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

2 Great Personal Styles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earlier topic about the wonderful Ruby Braff made me think of some of my other favorite players. Theses guys each have a sound so unique that I can almost always pick them out in about 3-4 notes. Clark Terry is one and his career and abilities are well documented on these pages.

The other player certainly ranks as one of my favorites. A one of a kind sound and style. Everytime I hear him play it makes me smile. Very inventive, big fat sound and lots of humor (like Clark Terry) in his playing.

The one and only Jack Sheldon. What do you guys and gals think about him?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right about the humor; I enjoy him too. While I can't say I'm a real big fan, Al Hirt seems to fit the individual style category too. Harry James, Ziggy Elman, and Herb Alpert (?) fit also, as does Clifford Brown and Diz to some extent.

[ This Message was edited by: Bachagain on 2002-08-22 08:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bachagain on 2002-08-22 09:00 ]
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i agree that both terry and sheldon are unique players.

terry is especially remarkable. if you've ever seen him do "mumbles" you'll never forget it. then there's the bit where he plays his flugelhorn with the instrument upside down. it's pure gimmick but pretty amazing nonetheless.

he has a grumpy side, however. he appeared as a guest artist with a community jazz group i was playing with a few years ago and when he discovered, at the rehearsal, that the band couldn't do rhythm changes he got very dark.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rex stewart has to be the all time most distinctive stylist. ever hear his "boy meets horn"? more growls than the lincoln park zoo.

[ This Message was edited by: jhatpro on 2002-08-30 22:42 ]
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm listening to Peggy Lee's _Mink Jazz_, and Jack Sheldon's trumpet solos and obbligatos with the vocals are slaying me.
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to Clark for a few nights straight last week. The album with Penneys and can't get started.

Jack Sheldon-- I've seen in Concert, wait more like in a Lounge. About ten times over the years. Out in the valley, one night with Sarah Vaughan in the bar. Small restaurants and cigar joints. Duets with Ross Tompkins on keysboards, or the late Jimmy Rowls. sp? Always entertaining.

His "Green Dolphin Street" solo on his All Stars album is a textbook transcription-mandatory keeper.

His singing and playing on "My faire Lady" with Shelley Mann slays me. With Irene Krall. sp?

My favorite number is, "I've grown accustomed to her face." I could not find the album on CD a few years ago.

mm

And then there was a big discussion because he was playing on the streets for free out in front of the Dorothy Chandler.
DBLG
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trumpet soloist on "My Fair Lady" wasn't Jack, it was Don Sleet.

Cheers,

George Graham
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Herb Alpert is very unique as a trumpet player. Many people might not take him all that seriously due to his origins in pop music with the Tijuana Brass and his lack of demonstrating lots of technical and high range playing. However, I find his stylistic senses and musicality, as well as a very identifiable sound and tone quality to be unique. I very much enjoy listening to Herb play songs with his unique style and sound, and I very much admire his tone quality, phrasing, and style on melodic or ballad type pieces - things like "The Shadow of Your Smile", "Mae," etc.
Herb has become enormously successful by playing for the general public rather than simply for the approval of other musicians. He is a very shrewd businessman, and in my opinion, a talented musician and arranger. He created a unique and original sound and style that had great appeal for millions of fans for many years. That is something that very few people can accomplish. Whether he should be ranked with the great players is open to debate. However, he has left a significant musical legacy that cannot be denied, however you view him from the purely trumpet playing standpoint. He certainly has done as much, and maybe more, than anyone else to popularize instrumental music in general, and the trumpet in particular, and no doubt has had a significant influence on many players.

[ This Message was edited by: DaveH on 2002-11-19 20:04 ]
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Jack Sheldon - saw a video with him playing in New Orleans with a small rythym section including John Pisano,guitar. He is definitely in a class by himself in my opinion. Great entertainer and improviser.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife mentioned Jack Sheldon a couple of months back … probably when we bought the School House Rock DVD where he sings ‘Conjunction Junction’. She remembers him as the neighbor with a trumpet in an earlier television show “The Girl with Something Extra”. This guy can play … great sound and great improv lines!

I ran across him again a couple of weeks ago on a Tom Kubis CD that I ordered (“Slightly Off the Ground”) where he does a fantastic vocal on ‘Play It Again, Sam’ and solos on a number of other charts.
HENDY

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your interested go to:
http://www.jacksheldon.com

I really enjoy Jack's playing and singing. His latest CD 'JSO Live' is entirly Tom Kubis
arrangements, with a band that smokes.
If you like his singing and playing the CD 'Jack Sheldon Sings' is great - with a big band,
the trumpet section is: George Graham, Wayne Bergeron, Ron Stout, and Stan Martin.
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY!!!
HOW IS OUR RUBY BRAFF...DOING ANYHOOO????
I HAVE BEEN FRIGHTEND TO ASK!!

Guess I'll put on my old "LINGER A WHILE" RUBY BRAFF CD...AND LINGER A WHILE during lunch...and think about what a gift Ruby has given all of us.....for sooooooooooo many years!
He talent is soooooooooo HUGE! from such a small sized 4foot plus stature of a beautiful human soul.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: