• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Caruso and anchor/dorsal tonguing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Caruso and anchor/dorsal tonguing Reply with quote

Are there any Caruso-ites here using anchor (dorsal) tonguing?

Did anchor tonguing come up in anyone's lessons with Caruso?

To my reading, the text seems to imply either 1) don't worry about it, or 2) tip tonguing, due to the "th" syllables suggested in the tonguing exercise.

However, in experimenting with this on my own, I'm finding that some of the Caruso exercises are great drills for practicing dorsal tonguing. It's clearly do-able with the Six Notes, the tonguing exercise (perhaps with the first note as a breath attack instead of tongued to set the embouchure properly), and the double-tonguing exercise that Charly gave in one of the threads.
tomba51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Caruso and anchor/dorsal tonguing Reply with quote

dales wrote:

To my reading, the text seems to imply either 1) don't worry about it, or 2) tip tonguing, due to the "th" syllables suggested in the tonguing exercise.

However, in experimenting with this on my own, I'm finding that some of the Caruso exercises are great drills for practicing dorsal tonguing. It's clearly do-able with the Six Notes, the tonguing exercise (perhaps with the first note as a breath attack instead of tongued to set the embouchure properly), and the double-tonguing exercise that Charly gave in one of the threads.

Anchor tonguing never came up in Carmine's lessons.

Tom
michael manthey
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not with me either, what is anchor / dorsal tonguing?
Bob Reeves Mpc's
Kanstul Mpc's
'The Brass Spa' Practice Mute
www.ultrapureoils.com
Maynard Ferguson BBN Band
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongue resting at the bottom of the mouth with the tip touching the lower teeth, and the striking action with the middle of the tongue. Clarke's Characteristic Studies describes it and the Claude Gordon approach advocates it, calling it K-tongue modified. There's a thread on the first page of Pedagogy right now discussing it.

I'm an amateur a couple of weeks away from going back to concert band, so I figured I can experiment. Seems to work well for some players, but I've had other things working better than I've ever experienced, so I don't know if I'll keep at it -- don't know if the transitional period is worth it. When it's working, I can tongue Clarke studies with it, and I seem to be able to play more sets of long tones, but when it's not working, it's a mess.
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Caruso and anchor/dorsal tonguing Reply with quote

dales wrote:

Actually the recommended tonguing syllable is "TS" as found on page 28.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's anything Carmine would have bothered with.
dales
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes -- thanks for the correction -- I guess I should look at the book more often.

I think I'm going to stick with it, though. It seems like a good thing to learn, even if I don't end up using it. I'm not risking any gigs.

One of the inspirations for using Caruso for this is Sam Burtis' post in the "Slow Breath/Fast Breath" topic, which I've always thought was one of the best posts ever in this forum.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam's a first string Caruso guy!
Trumpet1Ohio
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Caruso and anchor/dorsal tonguing Reply with quote

dales wrote:

I took a few lesson from Caruso and continue to do the Caruso exercises. Dorsal tonguing was not mentioned, but as I mentioned I only took a few lessons. I also dorsal/anchor tongue. No problem as far as I'm concerned.

LA Benge 3X+
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: