• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Brass Bow Valve Guides

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cronsell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a set of these in copper for my Bach 37 ML Bb. I will let you know what I think when they come in. If any of you have worked with these at all let me know. My Bach has the nylon valve guides and these metal ones are supposed to help give focus to the sound and some other small improvements. That's all I know right now. If you guys are unfamiliar with The Brass Bow, it's a repair shop in Chicago. Apparantly ( I just moved to Illinois about a month ago) Wayne Tanabe at the Brass Bow is the guy to see in the area.
cronsell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my valve guides in today. Apparantly there was a problem with their web server and they didn't get my original order. I called them on Wednesday to find out where they were and they explained what had happened and shipped them out that day free shipping and priority mail. Nice people at the Brass Bow.

Okay, how do they play? I hear a noticeable difference in the sound of the note, especially the beginning of the note at larger volumes. The attack when articulated sounds less harsh and the slurs at high speeds are more full and not so "flashy" at the front end of the notes. I think they are worth it, especially if you're trying not to change your sound so much that you couldn't blend well with other Bach trumpets. I also just got a Blackburn leadpipe (I chose the 19-348, the 20 was too big, just not as focused and took more effort to play well on. I did like it at loud volumes though....) and the two together sound very nice on my Bach. It's feeling much more stable and open at the same time. In short, I'm happy with the mod's and I think the fifty dollar price (I got the copper ones) are worth the difference in sound. I hope this helps anyone looking to get these!
RockyM
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play 'em on my Strad C and like them. They are noisier than the nylon guides though, but I think worth switching.
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris and welcome to the Illinois! I live in Chicago and am about a 20-30 minute drive from the Brass Bow. I've been dealing with Wayne for a number of years now. Your assumption is correct that he is THE MAN in the Chicagoland Area! Just had a PVA done on my Yamaha Z last week and the horn feels great!!! Wayne and Ken, who is a long time woodwinds playing buddy of mine are just great to work with! In short, you discovered the gold mine of knowledge, tech and friendliness in your short time here!!! DON'T GO ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedro,

I just had the PVA done on my Bach and it turned out great. I have an appointment to have two other horns done in October. That's how busy they are.

Ditto on the kudos for Wayne and Ken. Both are great to deal with.

Phil

[ This Message was edited by: PhilPicc on 2002-09-06 17:08 ]
Pedro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil! Glad your PVA worked out well!! Yeah man, Wayne and the gang are pretty busy these days as the school season is here! When I was last in the shop, you would think that there was some sort of top-rated concert for which people were waiting for tickets!!! Just that crowded! Yet, no one walks away disappointed!! I would imagine that they did the cleaning also? Well I would wish you luck with your other horns but with Wayne and his crew....NO LUCK NEEDED!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: