• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hurricane Katrina

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Hurricane Katrina Reply with quote

Are any of you evacuating or preparing for Hurrican Katrina? They think it will make landfall on the southeast Louisiana-Mississippi border, which is basically Slidell, LA-the city where I live. Lucky Me! I am asking that if you can please send a prayer to me and my family as well as all others in the projected path. Hopefully we will be safe as we are evacuating to Baton Rouge. Thanks to all,Chris

ML Yamaha Xeno RGS
Yamaha YTR-2320
Yamaha Custom 16C4-GP(1 1/2C)
cjdjazztpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone, please keep us in your prayers. This could very well turn out to be the storm that many have been fearing for the past 40-60 years. This storm is currently a Category 4 storm and is projected to be a category 5 by landfall. As for me, I am outta here!! Hopefully I'll be returning in a few days with some great news that we dodged the bullet. If you guys don't see the people on here from Louisiana for a few weeks then you'll know why.

Until next time.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cookiebaggs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this thing is massive!

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/USNationalWide.asp?loc=usa&seg=StormCenter&prodgrp=FloaterImagery&product=Float5Loop&prodnav=none&pid=none

Good luck and stay safe.
Ohanapecosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning they raised it to a Category 4 then a few hours later said it had reached Category 5 wind speeds. They say wind speeds are reaching 75MPH, 85 miles from the center of the storm. The bigger problem for New Orleans is the storm surge and rain, especially since this is a very slow moving storm. I've heard some bars are going to have a "Hurricane Party" and ride it out in New Orleans... natures way of culling stupidity.

Our thoughts and prayers are with our fellow TH'rs in the state of Louisiana. Take care and get the heck off the coast line of Louisiana.
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My roomie's dad is a Texas Task Force guy, and the deployed over 300 members to Louisiana, a move that's unheard of so they're plannin on something BIG. I hope all you guys get out of there in time, our prayers our with you!
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I thought I was safe here in Lafayette. A lot of people that vacated came to Lafayette as all of the Hotels are filled up.

Considering how powerful the storm is, I may need to pick up and move here. It isn't looking to good. They are comparing it to the likes of Camille.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so very upset with our school superintendent and some local officials. The City of New Orleans is under MANDATORY evacuation but the Lafayette area has not opened shelters for the thousands (actually over a million) of people headed this way. They are saying the first open hotel rooms are in Beaumont, Texas (150 miles west of us).

We are expecting only tropical storm winds and damage in this area, so we can help those in need. We are all making arrangements and preparations for the worst in case the storm makes a 50-80 mile turn to the west, but for now I think we should open our arms and our hearts to those in need. If you can believe this, the superintendent has not even cancelled classes for our students for tomorrow. Wind 50 miles from us will be 170 MPH, and we expect 50MPH winds and heavy rains during the day.

The worst thing is that people like me who have no power feel totally helpless. I hope the people of the lower east end of the State of Louisiana and Mississippi know the people of our area are not cold hearted. If it were up to us we would have the shelters open.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF ANY OF YOU IN NEW ORLEANS OR SLIDELL NEED A PLACE TO GO YOU CAN ALWAYS COME TO MY HOUSE. DROP ME AN E-MAIL IF YOU NEED TO COME TO LAFAYETTE (BATON ROUGE MAY NOT BE FAR ENOUGH TO BE SAFE).

I'm leaving for a couple hours, if there is any way you can check in after 2:30 our time I be happy to help you out.
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

"To be a teacher you need to be as good a performer as you can be: you'll have more to impart to your students musically." - John Haynie
bandman322
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent you guys in New Orleans and Slidell an E-mail with my phone numbers. Please consider coming here rather than spending money on a hotel. You are more than welcome here.

If I run out of room we'll kick Josh out of his place and let some of you stay there!!! Seriously, there is always room for another trumpet player in this house!
Bb - Bach Strad 180ML-37

skamerican
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing looks like a beast. As a catagory 2 it messed up my mom's home in south florida. We have a good portion of the roof missing and the whole back fence fell. And the usual branches everywhere.

I know it's not a normal route for everyone, but head east if you can. I'm sure there are a lot more open hotels in Florida than Louisiana and Texas, and us Floridians have been through enough storms of our own to be helpful to displaced people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cdaigle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family is safely out of the city, but there are many many people who need prayers, this could be the "Big One."
Chad Daigle
cdaigle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family is safely out of the city, but there are many many people who need prayers, this could be the "Big One."
Chad Daigle
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember what Hurricane Kate did to my original town of Tallahassee Florida in the 1980s. It "roared" ashore near Mexico Beach as only a Cat. 1 . . . about 90 miles from Tallahassee.

We were on the RIGHT side of the eye . . . when it eventually passed over Quincy, about 22 miles to our west. Winds were only peaking to about 70MPH by then. However . . .

The results inland in Tallahassee? Hundreds of little mini-tornadoes that you could hear coming at your house . . . and to its left and right. It was terrifying that night. One came right at us through the forest behind our home, sounding like a frieght train, but it rose just before our house and we were spared. Many were not that lucky. Over 550 homes had major damage with trees coming through the houses. Tallhassee lost over 10,000 trees . . . yet sustained winds weren't over about 70 mph . . . thanks to the zillions of little, intense, tornadoes!

LAST YEAR . . .
The remnants of Hurricane Francis, which came ashore in the Florida panhandle, came over my current town of Dublin, GA (250 miles inshore). One mini-tornado came through our neighborhood in Dublin. One neighbor lost 15 trees on their modest lot . . . with three on the house.

I lost five very large oak and hickory trees. Three fell together . . . barely nicking the back of my house with my wife only ten feet from where these deadly trees fell! She would have been killed under the combined weight of the three hardwood trees.

Those killer "bands" of energy radiate well from the center of all hurricanes and can kill you fast in the event of a tornado hidden in all the rain and wind.

Here's a photo of my back yard after Frances last year:

No, miraculously my trusty old 4-Wheel Drive was spared on both it's left side AND in front of it, by a mere three inches . . . and the home too! Now the canoe directly in FRONT of the GMC? It got pancaked!

TO YOU GUYS IN LOUISIANA AND AREA . . .

This thing will kill many IF conditions are right. On the other hand, sometimes I think prayer really works!!!

BE CAREFUL . . . THESE THINGS CAN KILL YOU MANY, MANY MILES AWAY!

My father-in-law freaked over hurricanes each year down in Florida. He lived through the killer hurricane in Belize of 1935 as a scared 9 year-old who witnessed a storm surge that filled his grandfather's three-story home except for the third story. He saw someone running in the storm get decapitated by a piece of loose, flying tin. He saw and smelled the decaying corpses of thousands of Belize citizens not fortunate enough to have a sturdy 3-story home to flee into.

THIS CAT. 5 STORM IS NOW UP TO 175 MPH. FLEE THIS THING IF YOU CAN . . . and try to avoid being to the right of the eye wall where most of the damange and danger always is!

Those of us who pray will keep our TH friends who are in harm's way in our prayers!

God Bless you all!

Tom Turner
histrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

This is THE big one!! Run from the water, hide from the wind..... oh yeah, make sure you have full tank of gas. Most of it has sold out in these parts, hard lessons learned from experience. Be safe.

Bruce
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jophst wrote:
They are comparing it to the likes of Camille.

Camille? That's a sissy storm compared to Katrina. Katrina's winds are about as powerful as Camille's, but the storm itself is twice as large: Ivan sized. It's already the sixth strongest hurricane on record with a central pressure of 907 mb. Since the pressure is still falling, Katrina could exceed Allen at 899.

This is not a storm to be messed with.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with all due respect, go and tell the hundreds of people that Camille killed that it was a sissy storm. But certainly, Katrina is massive in size.

Camille (other than it's winds) was devastating, because it never had a set path of where it was going. It was heading to the pan handle in Florida, then decided to go to New Orleans, then finally twisted back East and leveled Biloxi.

New Orleans can be in some serious trouble with this one. Once the water tops over those levies, there won't be much of anything they can do to get the water out of there. Grand Isle may be completely off the map after this storm. I only hope that everyone was able to evacuate.

**Edit - I'm an Engineer and I said "levies"? ... I meant levees of course!**

Last edited by jophst on Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tom LeCompte
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jophst wrote:
Well, with all due respect, go and tell the hundreds of people that Camille killed that it was a sissy storm.

Note that I said "in comparison to". Katrina is presently 99.9% as strong as Camile (and strengthening) and covers twice the area. And while it may be more predictable than Camille, the predictions are not good - the surge looks capable of flooding both the north and south New Orleans levees.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I graduated from HS in 1969 and was spending the weekend with my family at our favorite beach, Mexico Beach, the day Camille hit Mobile and Biloxi. [NOTE: Mexico Beach is 30 miles east of Panama City on the coast]

We were stunned that day with the power and size of the waves . . . even a couple of hundred miles away to the east!!!

Waves were running 20-25 higher than normal, which meant that the long sandy beach was covered . . . with little "runners" from each wave snaking up, up , up towards our room 150 yards inland . . . stopping just at the door!!! You could see the huge waves come over the horizon and build towards the shore . . . and then race directly below piers that rose high above the normal water line. The piers were gone later in the day of course.

I cannot imagine the horror that day in Mobile, 200 miles west . . . 256 horrified people died who simply didn't understand what was going to happen.

People died that day in tall, high rise beach front property . . . that was knocked down by the power of the waves and water.

GET OUT FOLKS . . . YOU LIE IN VERY LOW AREAS AND THE WATERS WILL CLIMB AND STRAND YOU.

Tom

Last edited by tom turner on Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother and his wife are currently living in Dauphin Island and are only leaving to go to stay with a professor in Mobile. I truly hope they will be safe there. I would have tried to go further north myself.

My mother and father were on their honeymoon in Florida when Camille hit.
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all in my prayers and thoughts! Stay safe, evacuate....whatever.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: