• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Harmon brand" harmon mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your opinions about the HARMON harmon mute? What do you like better: copper or aluminium?
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Harmon Harmon mute (what?!) is the defacto standard, it's got funky intonation (as do most of these styles of mutes). On the other hand, you're likely to find these most commonly in section playing so is probably our best bet.

I like the richer sound of the copper, but it really makes your horn bell heavy and it tends to fall out even more easily than the aluminum version.

As a side comment, there is a ton of resistance with these mutes. In one of the bands I'm in, we play a Coltrane chart called Naima, where the entire trumpet section is in Harmon mutes for the entire tune, playing background and we have to blow quite hard to be heard. By the end of the tune, we're pretty much blown out! Pretty section sound though!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinions probably won't mean squat to anyone but FWIW, the harmon mute known as Harmon by brand simply sucks rocks, period. There is no way to sound good with this sucker and sound is everything for us, wheather it's the open horn or a muted horn. Intonation with the mute? Forget it! Personally I like the silver JoRal for big ensemble. It plays relatively intune (I said relatively) and can allow you some cutting power (it's loud) and doesn't cost too much. For that smokey, Miles-like sound though, I like the Walt Johnson harmon. But with Walt's mute ya gotta use an up close mic or the sound will go nowhere. Bottom line...almost ANY harmon is better than the current crop of Harmon brand mutes.
Larry Smithee
BikeLawyer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a wild thing and bought one of the "harmon" like mutes that flip sells... I don't have the thing in front of me to see the brand, but they sound good and seem to play in tune... I had a heavy copper mute that I ended up selling on the marketplace here. I couldn't keep the darn thing in tune... I'veheard you can recork?
Martin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m with Larry.
I had the aluminium Harmon, and while I did like the sound, it was impossible to play below low C and had tons of resistance, especially in the upper register. I put a couple of dents in it like Clark Terry recommends, but that didn´t help.
I now have an Emo which is excellent. Jo-Rals seem to be even better, but I only got to try one briefly.

Martin
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried one of the jo ral bubbles..... man what a world of difference.... i think it is great, well, for a harmon.
cwerickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with Larry -- the Jo Ral is a good mute. I also like -- get ready -- my Humes and Berg harmon mute. I know, but it's true -- decent sound, tolerable intonation, *never* has fallen out of my bell, and it's got all that pretty red and white paint on it..

And it was pretty cheap, if I recall correctly.

Tina
Tootsall
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a Jo-Ral bubble mute to replace the Dennis Wick Harmon (on which intonation was...."less than ideal"). The Jo-Ral is incredible. Intonation changes "maybe" 5 cent between open bell/ harmon. About half the back pressure of the DW. Very nice, full sound with lots of color (stem in OR stem out).

Two thumbs up on the Jo-Ral.
stradivarius

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i agree, the harmon brand is probably the absolute worst harmon you can buy. i had one-the cork cracks and falls off too-but i got a jo-ral copper bubble. intonation is MUCH better, and it actually sounds real--not like a piece of tin.
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. The Harmon brand mutes might work well as a bobber, but they shouldn't be in the bell of your horn. Yeah, the copper Jo-Rals are heavy and like to fall out of the bell (dents make it sound better anyway), but they get a great sound and almost play in tune.

Anybody have cup mute preferences for big band? I personally like the old school stone line models, the wicks and jo-rals just don't quite do it for me.

ChopsMcgraw
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am the only one that prefers the sound of the Alessi Vacchiano harmon by Leblanc? Maybe it's no longer available.

My Vacchiano has the classic characteristic tone with lots of sizzle. It's easy to play in-tune in all registers up to high-C and down into the pedals, with only minor added backpressure. It has the added advantage over the heavier mutes of not falling out of the bell too easily.

Dave
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-10 14:48, Tootsall wrote:
I just received a Jo-Ral bubble mute to replace the Dennis Wick Harmon (on which intonation was...."less than ideal"). The Jo-Ral is incredible. Intonation changes "maybe" 5 cent between open bell/ harmon. About half the back pressure of the DW. Very nice, full sound with lots of color (stem in OR stem out).

Two thumbs up on the Jo-Ral.

Yep, Jo-Ral is excellent. It's also pretty easy to play loud on one - saves chops compared to blasting away on a lesser brand.

TD
Kateeba
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goes to show you, that everyone's taste is different. I can't play anything BUT a harmon brand, harmon mute. It is the only one that gives me the sound I want. I own a Jo Ral bubble mute and just do not like the sound. I mean, I cringe, when I play it. But this is good. It shows we all have different tastes. I would worry if we all agreed to love a particular sound (smiling).

Lou
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-30 11:20, Larry Smithee wrote:
My opinions probably won't mean squat to anyone but FWIW, the harmon mute known as Harmon by brand simply sucks rocks, period. There is no way to sound good with this sucker and sound is everything for us, wheather it's the open horn or a muted horn. Intonation with the mute? Forget it! Personally I like the silver JoRal for big ensemble. It plays relatively intune (I said relatively) and can allow you some cutting power (it's loud) and doesn't cost too much. For that smokey, Miles-like sound though, I like the Walt Johnson harmon. But with Walt's mute ya gotta use an up close mic or the sound will go nowhere. Bottom line...almost ANY harmon is better than the current crop of Harmon brand mutes.
Larry Smithee

As anyone can see I wrote the above a long time ago. Since that time I was able to acquire a "real" harmon mute. That is, a vintage harmon estimated to have been made around the mid-1950s. I mean this thing is a totally different mute than the harmons made today. Its a different size for one thing and not as fat around the middle. But the most telling thing is its sound. It REALLY sounds fantastic. Now I see why all the old cats liked these things. It never made sense to me before. I never understood how Miles, Dizzy, and the rest could get such a great sound out of a Harmon brand mute. I was suspecting that it might have something to do with miking techniques or equipment and such. No, they just used an original harmon mute. Big difference.
Larry
Tom K.
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, the 50s harmon was skinnier? The one I have from the 70s was plenty skinny, but still stuffy and out of tune. The fatter bubbles like jo-ral seem to have more sizzle and be more in tune. Please explain.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
I have a recent edition of the Harmon (it dates from within the past 8-10 years) and, of course, my 50s Harmon. Basicially, the overall diminsions are very different between these models (at least the models I own), with the vintage mute being a smaller mute. It's slightly shorter and is not as big around the middle either. I don't know what this has to do with the resulting tone. But the vintage model just has "that" sound. I don't sound like Miles playing an open horn. But amazingly, if I focus my brain just right, I can almost get a Miles color to my sound with the older Harmon. I don't know, maybe it's just my imagination, but I can't even come close to doing that with the newer Harmon, a JoRal, or anyother Harmon-type mute and I've tried a bunch of models.
Larry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: