• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

plunger

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What plunger should I take?
Welk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a plunger?

52' Olds Recording LA
Wick gold 4X

-=0=-Music is what gives us the beat, but it is also what makes beat our heart -=0=-
deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a mute. You hold with your hand in front of the trumpet's bell and you can make sound effects.
On this sites are some pictures of a plunger: http://www.jo-ral.com/ trumpet_plunger_mutes.htm
http://www.pitt.edu/.../jazz/artists/ ellington/people/cootie.html
http://www.xs4all.nl/~maynard/carl/Carl10.jpg

Hope I could help you.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, you don't need to spend the money for a plunger made by one of the various mute companies. I just use a small plunger that I bought at the grocery store for about $1.50. That's what most of my friends use too although some of them have gotten fancy and painted them various colors (gold, silver, black) with spray paint.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a small plunger at the hardware store. When you get home throw the handle away (if there was one). Take a knife and cut away the thick outer rim until it is approximately the same thickness as the rest of the rubber. Also, cut a hole so you can see through where the handle used to be inserted. These modifications greatly improve the blow and intonation.

Many people I have met in the last couple of years are using the top portion of a large Gatorade bottle minus the cap in lieu of the plunger. Cut it off with a knife just below the first flange in the bottle shape (so that what is left is plunger-shaped). I actually use both in different situations.
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Patrick! You don't need to spend a lot for one of these.

I did take it one step further though. I got the "Windplayer - Trumpet Masterclasses" book as a gift last Christmas. In it, it had an article about mastering the plunger mute. It described how to make your own plunger mute along with some playing technics to try. It used your basic everyday kitchen sink plunger (the smaller one). It went into some detail about drilling out the end where the handle would thread into. Then insert a coin into the plunger's end, again where the threaded neck is located. Once the coin is in place, it will be at about a 30-degree angle (due to the angle of the rubber threads).

This is a pretty neat little project. You must experiment with the hole size that you drill first. This is done to allow the air/sound to escape. Before you start drilling the plunger, try playing and using the mute. I think you'll find some major resistance there. Anyways, I drilled mine out to about 1/4-inch diameter, which seemed good for me and my horn. Once you have found the hole diameter best siuted for you, place different coins (penny, dime, & nickel) in the threaded neck. I might be crazy, but I think the different coins I tried had a slight difference in sound in each one. I believe the coin adds just a little metalic touch to the sound.

Anyone else ever read this article and tried this?

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
OCTA-C
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was at SEARS HARDWARE the other day and they have these neat bright colored plungers for about $3-4.00. Red, blue, yellow, black and traditional brown. You can secure a small clear acrylic ball cabinet handle on the end and you have one "jiffy" looking plunger mute!!------"and that ain't no poop!!!"

"May the good sound be yours!"

"Always remember to blow into the proper end of the horn!"-circa. 1900 (Harry Gardoon)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun,

I have a sink plunger (small) for the majority of plunger playing. I also have a toilet (large) plunger that I use in conjunction with a pixie mute to get those "baby" kind of sounds - a la Ellington band.

Steve
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun,

I have a sink plunger (small) for the majority of plunger playing. I also have a toilet (large) plunger that I use in conjunction with a pixie mute to get those "baby" kind of sounds - a la Ellington band.

Steve
deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the recommends. Now I use a toilet plunger and I made a hole in it. I think that sounds better.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the hole in the standard sink plunger really necessary? I've never drilled mine out although some of the guys that I have played with have holes in theirs. I had always just assumed that the holes got there in the process of screwing around with them during rehearsals and such.

Also, I thought that the color and sound that you got using a plunger came mainly from how much of the bell you decide to cover or leave uncovered and that you weren't ever really supposed to actually put the plunger clear over the bell. Tips? Suggestions?
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
deleted_user_a4a6e56

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that the hole gives better intonation but I don't know anything more. I like the sound better with the hole.
_ConnMan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

Give it a try and drill a hole and experiment with it. Remember, if you screw it up, it's a cheap thing to replace. You won't know 'til you try it!

Kanstul 1600 "WB" w/ Kanstul two-piece B3C & S72 BB
Connstellation 38B
Kanstul 925 Flugelhorn (copper bell) w/ Kanstul two-piece BFL3C w/ 119S BB
Jupiter 416BL Pocket Trpt.
www.measureofgrace.com
Strawdoggy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

I don't have a hole in mine, either. The plunger, that is!

Steve
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How true! I think that I'll try the coin thing as well.
- ACB Doubler

god's horn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: plunger Reply with quote

I bought a standard toilet plunger not so long ago. I experienced the pitch issues when fully covering the bell with the plunger. Did a little research on the net, and decided to drill a small hole, like you guys were saying.

The real fix to the intonation problem occurred when I first tried my new pixie mute with the plunger. My thoughts were that the pixie would add a nice "growl" effect with the plunger. What it actually does is holds the note in tune throughout the full movement of the plunger. I was amazed at how well the two mutes worked together.

I think I will shave off the edge of the plunger, as earlier stated. Just seems right to have the plunger and bell lookin' tight and right.

As for the coin..... ????

"Your fruitfullness is directly connected to your discomfort level." - Micheal Pitts
karlose

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember talking with Al Gray once about his plunger tricks, and he said the first thing is to try to get a plunger of decent size. One that preferrable matches, or is close to the bell size. I know this is near impossible for trombone players, but for trumpets it is feasable.

The next thing he said is after you get your plunger, take it home and work it! After all of the drilling of holes and cutting or whatever you do, take the plunger and just wear it out. Playing withg it, bending it, foldiong it...inother words, never allow your plunger to get stiff. When you do this, you cut out many of the tricks that you could do with a plyable plunger!

Marcinkiewicz™ Rembrandt™ "MIC GILLETTE" Model: SC3X.351L RLP Trumpet

F.E. Olds & Son "Clark Terry" Flugelhorn

"SHUT UP AND PLAY!!"
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you search the hardware stores you'll usually find two sizes. One is a sink plunger and it's about 4" in diameter. The other is a toilet plunger and it's about 6" in diameter. But keep looking, there is a 5" plunger around and I find it is the best trumpet size, by far - much, much better intonation and control. A quarter fits nicely in the stick-hole and does give a bit more bite to the sound.

One last thing, please don't use your hand as a plunger in a big band setting. It does NOT do the job. If the composer hasn't given you the time to get your plunger out, you may need to make do with the hand. But try hard to grab your real plunger. The effect is SO much better. Best regards, Kyle
BADBOY-DON
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.crateandbarrel.com and type "funnel" in the search.....
and notice the really neat little silly-cone' funnel that I stole from my wife's kitchen stuff.
What I love about the little silicone funnels..they seem to have just the right about of flexibility plus the funnels spout fits your hand just right to allow a good grip..but also lets you regulate just the right about of back-pressure. Plus the tackiness of the silicone...allows you to mold the funnel mute into various shapes that give such a great varity of sound.
Plus.... they fold and fit just about anywhere in a over-stuff giglet bag n'allthatjazz.

However....someday soon, I am sure my beloved will be asking:
'HEY!!!!! HAVE YOU SEEN MY MISSING LITTLE CRAP-N-BARREL FUNNELS????
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It went into some detail about drilling out the end where the handle would thread into. Then insert a coin into the plunger's end, again where the threaded neck is located. Once the coin is in place, it will be at about a 30-degree angle (due to the angle of the rubber threads).
Anyone else ever read this article and tried this?

I've had mine like this for years. The sink plunger was .50 and I use a dime in the hole, so .60 for a great effect!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: