• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I'm outta here!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acolyte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy NoVa wrote:

I really don't think people are making dramatic exits. They are leaving and explaining why -- not to draw attention to themselves, but to make it plain to the bashers and bad-mouthers and everyone else that their sourness has consequences that are bad for everyone. That, at least, is how it has appeared to me as I've seen several very knowledgable people depart the scene.

It may be that driving people like Trent and others away is a source of delight to these people; a victory in some perverted way. I don't know. But I'm pretty sure it is not welcomed by most people on TH. Every time Trent or Wilmer or any pro leaves TH, the value of TH is diminished -- unless you come here to jabber about how bad Wynton is for jazz and how only an idiot would buy a Monette. If you come here to learn something, there is now less to be learned.

In any event, why make an issue of someone's final post as he leaves without making at least as large an issue of what drove him away?

Are you honestly being serious? From my vantage point they are acting in a most embarrassing manner. The dramatic farewell postings are not a product of needing to communicate. They are a product of arrogance and anger. As another poster said, if you don't like it, don't read it.
Acolyte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GOOD Reply with quote

[quote="Froggynut"]Just remember! the ones that are bashing are the ones that are 1) bad musicians 2) only care about what the highest note they can play is 3)start these ridiculous threads about bashinh Wynton and 4) mostly live in small towns.....

Froggynut wrote:
Can we all agree that we should ask these insolent kids to go away? .............
(on another note) Hey old Geezer ! I like that name...

If anyone actually needs to go, maybe TH should begin with you based on your horrible comments?

Quotes edited by Moderators 9/12
ben_66_mario
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy NoVa, maybe in saying what i am about it will prove your point, but i think some of the things i am thinking need to be said. I am, like many of you are saying, what some of you may call a hick. I live in a town basically in the middle of no were. And i am a high school student. And i do not personally like wyton's style of playing. What is wrong with all of this? NOTHING! Who are you to judge other people. I will say i know nothing about you, only what i got from what you posted, but i can not agree with what you said (to an extent). I agree there are some people who post who can come off kinda rude, and maybe some of them are, but in reading what you wrote that would be the impression that i got from you. Now i bet if i knew you personally i wouldn't feel that way at all, but that is just what i got from it. I DO NOT appreciated you bashing young people, and "hicks". Like i said i live in the middle of no were, i live in a town were the population of cows is more than people, and yet i do not know a thing about farming, or agriculture, or anything that would make one a hick. I personally came to this site to ask questions, and to hopefully learn how to play my horn better. I am a teenage kid and the majority of music i listen to is jazz. Does all this make me a "hick"? And i really do not like wyton's style of playing (i don't want to get into this). That is my opinion. I will admit to the fact that he is one of the best trumpeters ever and i have respect for him for what he can and has done in jazz, but it doesn't make it wrong for me to dislike his playing. And in my opinion playing high doesn't mean jack, if you can't back it up with anything else. Someone may believe otherwise though and that is fine with me, we disagree, it happens.
My appologizes if i offended anyone by saying some of these things. But these are meerly my opinions, everyone is entitled to their own. I also appologize for my spelling, grammar, and anything else with writing. I never have been good in english.
Ben
Guy NoVa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte wrote:
Guy NoVa wrote:

I really don't think people are making dramatic exits. They are leaving and explaining why -- not to draw attention to themselves, but to make it plain to the bashers and bad-mouthers and everyone else that their sourness has consequences that are bad for everyone. That, at least, is how it has appeared to me as I've seen several very knowledgable people depart the scene.

It may be that driving people like Trent and others away is a source of delight to these people; a victory in some perverted way. I don't know. But I'm pretty sure it is not welcomed by most people on TH. Every time Trent or Wilmer or any pro leaves TH, the value of TH is diminished -- unless you come here to jabber about how bad Wynton is for jazz and how only an idiot would buy a Monette. If you come here to learn something, there is now less to be learned.

In any event, why make an issue of someone's final post as he leaves without making at least as large an issue of what drove him away?

Are you honestly being serious? From my vantage point they are acting in a most embarrassing manner. The dramatic farewell postings are not a product of needing to communicate. They are a product of arrogance and anger. As another poster said, if you don't like it, don't read it.

I am utterly serious. I suggest you consider the possibility that you are missing something crucial. I will not tell you what it is, but here is a clue: Ponder your phrase "From my vantage point..."

By the way, would you mind telling us how old you are? If you make me go first, I am in my early fifties. I have been playing trumpet off and on, always for fun and sometimes for money, for a bit over 40 years, and believe I have a lot left to learn about music in general and trumpet specifically.
Eclipse Flugel
Courtois Chambord Cornet
Pocket Max
Acolyte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben_66_mario wrote:
Guy NoVa, maybe in saying what i am about it will prove your point, but i think some of the things i am thinking need to be said. I am, like many of you are saying, what some of you may call a hick. I live in a town basically in the middle of no were. And i am a high school student. And i do not personally like wyton's style of playing. What is wrong with all of this? NOTHING! Who are you to judge other people. I will say i know nothing about you, only what i got from what you posted, but i can not agree with what you said (to an extent). I agree there are some people who post who can come off kinda rude, and maybe some of them are, but in reading what you wrote that would be the impression that i got from you. Now i bet if i knew you personally i wouldn't feel that way at all, but that is just what i got from it. I DO NOT appreciated you bashing young people, and "hicks". Like i said i live in the middle of no were, i live in a town were the population of cows is more than people, and yet i do not know a thing about farming, or agriculture, or anything that would make one a hick. I personally came to this site to ask questions, and to hopefully learn how to play my horn better. I am a teenage kid and the majority of music i listen to is jazz. Does all this make me a "hick"? And i really do not like wyton's style of playing (i don't want to get into this). That is my opinion. I will admit to the fact that he is one of the best trumpeters ever and i have respect for him for what he can and has done in jazz, but it doesn't make it wrong for me to dislike his playing. And in my opinion playing high doesn't mean jack, if you can't back it up with anything else. Someone may believe otherwise though and that is fine with me, we disagree, it happens.
My appologizes if i offended anyone by saying some of these things. But these are meerly my opinions, everyone is entitled to their own. I also appologize for my spelling, grammar, and anything else with writing. I never have been good in english.
Ben

The only thing that I know that would make someone a "hick" is ignorance, and possibly arrogance...
ben_66_mario
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, out here most people who are considered hicks, are pretty much just farmers and stuff like that. I guess thats not the same in other places though. My bad
Ben
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!.....Let's watch all that "hick" stuff.

trpt.hick
slandis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben_66_mario wrote:
Ben

There's a difference between having a personal opinion about Marsalis' style of play, and straight out bashing his skillset and attempting to deride others who do enjoy Marsalis.

The former is perfectly valid and expressing your opinion in a tasteful manner adds to the many reasons why TH is a diverse and wonderful forum to come to. The latter adds nothing to the community except vitriol and noise. And while people can bark about "don't read it if you don't like it", that's really not the point. Those lame posts create a very bad signal/noise ratio, and it reflects badly on those folks who work hard at making this place a good community to dispense helpful and meaningful information. I can see where some of the professionals on this board, or those with a lot of experience, feel slighted and annoyed at the rash of threads that do nothing but detract from the value of the forums. A post saying goodbye, while possibly being dramatic, isn't arrogant to those that have created strong relationships via the forums, it's simply a regular old goodbye with some reasoning behind it.

Most of us are guilty of posts that really add nothing to the conversation, but there are those who seem set on doing nothing but that. The majority of my low-post count is probably looked at as such; I'd like to contribute more informative and/or thoughtful posts from this point on.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acolyte wrote:
Guy NoVa wrote:

Well... as a final swan song I'd like to comment above on this.

I really wanted to say goodbye to all the trumpet friends that I have met on this site in the past few years. As opposed to sending EVERYONE a PM it was just easy to post this note.

Angry? Absolutely! I'm actually quite disapointed in a few fellow members of the trumpet community on how they post. That's my opinion and everyone's entitled to write what they think. I just have the option of not reading it and will not read.

I am glad that a lot of you have defended my post and I surely hope that the rest of the TH community will understand that this first post wasn't written with arrogance in my mind.

I hope that maybe the community will bond together for all of us trumpeters. After all every time I pick up my trumpet it's a joy. I want to share the love I have for this instrument with everyone, and will continue to do so.

Best of luck to all of you, and maybe I'll see you over on TM.

Trent Austin
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Guy NoVa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben_66_mario wrote:
Guy NoVa ... what some of you may call a hick. I live in a town basically in the middle of no were. And i am a high school student. ... Who are you to judge other people. ... I DO NOT appreciated you bashing young people, and "hicks". Like i said i live in the middle of no were, i live in a town were the population of cows is more than people, and yet i do not know a thing about farming, or agriculture, or anything that would make one a hick. ... Does all this make me a "hick"? ...

I think you have confused me with someone else. I've never called you or anyone else a hick. Not here, not elsewhere, not ever. It is not a word I use. I have many favorite terms to draw upon when I resort to name-calling, but "hick" is not among them.
Eclipse Flugel
Courtois Chambord Cornet
Pocket Max
ben_66_mario
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, i think i must have scrolled down to look at the other posts and it just kinda caught my eye and it wound up in what i wrote. I am sorry for writing that about you though, because you didn't write it. But it does go for the people who wrote it. After looking back on the posts i'm sorry it shouldn't have been addressed at you.
Ben
INDEED

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just come out of my lurking mode. I have watched this forum for a while and always enjoyed your posts Trent. Good Luck!
The Glidd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For crying out loud.

It's sad to see Trent go.

But it's only a website.......
ustacouldplay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all completely missing the real point here: There's a dog playing the stinkin' trumpet!!!
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe I am saying this but wow, this post has turned even worse!!!!!
ertatta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thwackbusher wrote:
Quote:
The one last thing I'll say is that, though I'm sorry someone set him off, and that he feels disrespected, I tire of the dramatic farewells. So many people have left this site over the last year or so, and it seems to be the "thing" to make a huge exit. I can't get behind that. Sorry, Trent, and anyone else, if you've felt slighted, but.. if you're taking yourselves elsewhere, then vaya con Dios -- and we'll miss you. But spare us the farewell address, please

couldn't have said it any better myself!!!!
Alsorann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Austin appears to have a life. Perhaps some of you also rans ought to think about getting one.
Froggynut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: I agree Reply with quote

I do agree. From now on when someone such as Acolyte runs his mouth He will be flamed and deleted.
Acolyte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy NoVa wrote:

I am utterly serious. I suggest you consider the possibility that you are missing something crucial. I will not tell you what it is, but here is a clue: Ponder your phrase "From my vantage point..."

By the way, would you mind telling us how old you are? If you make me go first, I am in my early fifties. I have been playing trumpet off and on, always for fun and sometimes for money, for a bit over 40 years, and believe I have a lot left to learn about music in general and trumpet specifically.

From my vantage point, huh? What's with the Socratic process? Anyway, all I can deduce from that are two possibilities. First, you might believe certain trumpeters have a license to act arrogant and emotional on this website while others do not. Obviously no one would accept that. Second, you might be suggesting that at least some trumpters have either very thin skin and/or a terrible need to control things. That's a difficult proposition indeed, and the only solution I see would be for said people maturing just a touch. Am I close?
Acolyte
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I agree Reply with quote

Froggynut wrote:
I do agree. From now on when someone such as Acolyte runs his mouth He will be flamed and deleted.

I sorta feel sorry for you...
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: