• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mark VanCleve, Did I get burned again?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B6L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Mark VanCleve, Did I get burned again? Reply with quote

About 7 years ago I ordered "Zen And the Art Of Trumpet Playing" from VanCleve's web sight and never got the book, then years later I heard he had some problems etc. etc. so I just blew it off ( BTW the check was cashed) recently I saw some activity at his web sight and still a page to order his books, thinking he must be back I again ordered the above book through paypal, that was Aug.14 and still havent seen the book.........did I get screwed again?!? Anyone with some inside info or advice would be greatly appreaciated.

Nate
richiebee
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mark VanCleve, Did I get burned again? Reply with quote

B6L wrote:
About 7 years ago I ordered "Zen And the Art Of Trumpet Playing" from VanCleve's web sight and never got the book, then years later I heard he had some problems etc. etc. so I just blew it off ( BTW the check was cashed) recently I saw some activity at his web sight and still a page to order his books, thinking he must be back I again ordered the above book through paypal, that was Aug.14 and still havent seen the book.........did I get screwed again?!? Anyone with some inside info or advice would be greatly appreaciated.

Nate

It's interesting to see his V1 trumpets have already changed their name to MV1!

I have to say that from what I've seen (I used to follow his web site hoping that he'd actually update it one day), he has great ideas, but is never able to follow them through. I wouldn't buy anything from him. If he doesn't have the time to put into running an online business, he shouldn't be running an online business!

I wonder if his new horns will start backing up in his garage waiting to be play tested, as buyers eagerly wait, having shelled out for them while he's "on tour".

That said, I'm sure a phone call to him will get your book delivered to you. I don't think he intends to be a bad person.

He reminds me of the guy who sells Oxyclean on TV.

Rich
Yamaha YFH-631G, GR E62FL
retcnihps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya you probably got burned again. I was burned by him a couple of years ago as well. I just gave up. It wasn't worth it to me. Why don't you try contacting him or posting a message on his trumpetplayeronline.com . It seems to be up and running. This week anyway

I know this. I would never buy a horn off him. There is a good chance you will never get it.
Wildman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Van Cleave is unreliable Reply with quote

I was told by some people at the Selmer factory some years ago that when he was a tester they never knew ifhe was going to showup or not.
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds to me like a major screw up!!! Can he play?
gms979
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered something from him (one of his books, maybe?) back in the late 90's and it never arrived....glad to know I'm not alone in my experiences here.

Greg
Guy NoVa
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered some of his books online about 6 months ago. Never got them. I've sent several emails -- no luck.

If I ever get some some free time I plan to file a complaint with the attorney general of whatever state he does business in.

There have been a few TH threads about this guy -- a search on his name will turn them up. I wish I had read them before sending him any money.
Eclipse Flugel
Courtois Chambord Cornet
Pocket Max
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you pay? Nail him for fraud.

Otherwise, I think it's a case of "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...."

R

9/11/01 Never forget those who died. Never forget those who killed them.
Virtuoso2B

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who did recieve the books I ordered from him. I guess it was in 96 or 97 when I was in highschool. Is it proper for me to send photocopies of the books to those who never recieved theirs? Technically they DID pay for them On a side note, Book 1 does have alot of great stuff in it. Book 2 is a little ridiculous. It's ALOT of extended register drills. Good exercises I'm sure, but I never got past book 1. :-p
eb1ch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it. I ordered it for a gift (kind of as a joke) for a high note playing friend of mine. Instead I got him a stupid card.

Do it.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Mark should hire someone to take care of his books for him. It seems as though there is a high demand, so he could afford to hire someone to take care of that for him.

Last edited by fuzzyjon79 on Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of each book also.......

I guess I got lucky.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have known a couple of guys who got scammed by him. If the story at Selmer is true then he is just an unreliable person as well as a scammer. Past behavior is the best way to determine future behavior.

Do the PDF! I would be interested in the book. The books appear to be unavailable anyway. Since no one is able to buy one anymore.

Mike
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I do use his books a lot. Very "Adam-like", and I mean that as a complement.
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I ordered both books and sent him a check. He cashed the check. A number of months went by and no books. I sent a bunch of e-mails that were not acknowledged. After complaining to a bunch of friends about my treatment, one of them copied the two books and sent them to me. About a year and a half after the order was placed the books showed up in the mail! Beats the h--- out of me how Mark operates..... Certainly not in the real business world.
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trptbenge wrote:

Do the PDF! I would be interested in the book. The books appear to be unavailable anyway. Since no one is able to buy one anymore.

Mike

+1. What's good for the goose...

R

9/11/01 Never forget those who died. Never forget those who killed them.
drincredible313

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark apparently is living here in my town, where he grew up, but I still haven't seen him on the gig (I've been in and out of town for the last few years) I know he's been called to sub on some jobs I'm familiar with, though, so I know he's around here somewhere. I've never had any interaction with him, so I don't know what to tell you.
Wildman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
Does anyone know of a website that I can upload the books in pdf format for public access?

Put them on usenet in the newsgroup alt.binaries.sheet-music

Last edited by Wildman on Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:06 am; edited 3 times in total
eb1ch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll host them on mine as well.
trpthawaii
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, two wrongs don't make a right. Mark Van Cleave is a friend of mine and though I have no answer as to why some books have not been mailed or have been slow in being shipped, I know he has no criminal intent and doubt he'd appreciate having his copyright violated. Some of you have talked of bringing fraud charges against Mark for not mailing you his book. Well, I teach music business and copyright and can tell you that intentional violation of copyright carries a federal fine of up to $150,000 PER VIOLATION (that would be $150K for Each and Every download of the book). If you have gripes with Mark and want to know where your book is, his website is

http://markvancleave.com/

His email address is:

mark@markvancleave.com

Mark isn't a copyright nazi and I doubt he'd actually sue anyone that does post a pdf of his book. I know of one publisher that sold illegal copies of his books already and Mark let bigones be bigones. (that bogus publisher was a cause of some of the non delivered books). A pdf might actually be a good idea for those of you who haven't received a book or are curious but don't trust sending him your money. All I can suggest is that you contact him and try to work out the situation amicably.

Mark Minasian
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: