• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Silent Brass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Man Rob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody used this? Does it work as well as claimed? How much noise can be heard when the player is using it? How is the sound to the player through the earphones?

If this thing works I (as the parent of a new student) think the inventors deserve the Nobel prize.
davo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If and when one has to use a practice mute, this is probably the best. I have not tried the e-brass electronic mute from Japan yet, so will withhold comment on them.

The Silent Brass is very quiet although it can be heard by someone in the same room, but at whisper level. The sound is somehat the function of the headphones you use. The ones that come with it are not high quality, but for its purposes, probably suffice.

The sound quality is more like an amplfied muted sound rather than a trumpet sound....maybe something in between.

The issue with it is that if used extensively, it probably will hurt your trumpet playing due to the resistance as well as the sound you're hearing.

That said, howver, I probably use mine almost every night after my wife is asleep. One other benefit is that you can plug in a CD player and play along, all through the headphones and not bother anyone.

I travel with mine for use in hotel rooms.

Nothing beats open play, however, so I would restrict the use of the Silent Brass to those occasions when there is not other option.
Emb_Enh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Davo says....it can't/must'nt replace open trumpet playing because feel of the airflow in open playing is of paramount importance.

However...the Yam Silent mute was all I could use last week on vacation before getting to 2 rehearsals lasting 6 hours [ high and smooth jazz stuff] and it was fine.

That's all I played all week was some long tones and some Al Vizzutti tunes through a CD player and then thru the Silent mute - FUN!

A useful tool - not to replace open playing tho'!

Roddy o-iii<O

"E M B O U C H U R E___E N H A N C E M E N T"
BOOK 1 also... BOOK 2 + demo CD

[Self Analysis and Diagnostic Trumpet Method]
clarion89
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB works just fine for me. I do alot of my practicing at night when my kids are in bed. Alot of players complain about the resistance factor, but in my opinion, it's certainly tolerable and should not negate any progress you might make using the SB system.

It's great to take on gigs to catch a warm-up when things need to be quiet. I feel it is worth it and now they are reasonably priced even lower than when I bought mine 3 years ago.
_Don Herman
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the Peacemaker at 1/5 the price -- no electronics (for better or worse).

This is a frequent topic, so click on the "Search" item above and check previous posts for everything and more you wanted to know about SB and other practice mutes, including pitfalls attributed to regular practice with them.

HTH - Don
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: