• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Someone has another case of klez...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am once again receiving multiple klez infected e-mails a day, with trumpet related subject headers. http://www.symantec.com has a free klez repair program called fixklez, I would suggest that people having problems with their computers opening .exe files run this program, and be careful when you use outlook, that ill-begotten son of a Gates. Anyhow, just trying to help-

ChopsMcgraw
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chops,

Your advice is VERY VALID AND IMPORTANT!

ALSO . . .
If EVERY poster on the forum who e-mails others from the forum would install a great anti-virus program like Norton the ol' "Klez32" virus wouldn't be hittin' my inbox AT LEAST once a day in "spam" e-mail messages.

For the past month or so this has happened but the Norton "quarantines" these messages before they can be opened. All the messages are "spam" mail from low-life e-mail address stealers who use the Klez virus to invade and steal e-mail addresses from any and all who open an infected e-mail without anti-virus protection.

To any and all forum readers who read this . . . install an anti-virus system on your computer before someone sends you something that distroys your hard drive instead of just stealing the names of those who correspond with you.

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on Tom, I have double protection.

I like Outlook Express so I installed Norton, plus my ISP now has a filter that catches both viruses and spam.

What options are available rather than Outlook Express? I tried Eudora but didn't like it.
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edtaylor

What is your ISP that provides that type of filtering?

I have Norton's - did not know any ISP did that...
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norton's does a great job of catching these things - I have found a couple in the last couple weeks and Norton's caught them so they could be quarantined and deleted from the system without any apparent problems.
Norton's has the live update feature which updates the software regularly. Keeping updated is very important. Also it scans the system at least once per week and scans all incoming and outgoing e-mail.

[ This Message was edited by: DaveH on 2002-09-07 21:54 ]
_PhilPicc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update my Norton once a week and my system also keeps track of updates.

Yeah, great protection,
Phil

We cannot expect you to be with us all the time, but perhaps you could be good enough to keep in touch now and again."
- Sir Thomas Beecham to a musician during a rehearsal
Wheat_Grass_Juice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of nights ago, I received a virus from one of my happy campers in TPIN; thus, I closed my account with them and opened up this refreshing and healthful account ... but yucky taste.

I spent the night downloading a 30 day free trial of Symantec Norton Antivirus. It found the virus and quarantined it. It is called Happey99.exe. I have purchased an antivirus program with a firewall combination (Norton Internet Security 2002) which I hope to install within a couple of weeks.

For an E-Mail program, I am using Outlook 2000 and I have heard that both Outlook e-mail programs have an open door policy toward viruses. I am looking for another e-mail program in the mean time. Do you have any suggestions?

Liad Bar-EL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: