• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No place to play

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getzenbob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: No place to play Reply with quote

I'm curious if anyone else has expereinced this dilema. I've been a comeback for about a year now. Practicing all the usual stuff for about 1-2 hrs. a day. I got my chops back to where I am getting excited about playing and performing again. My problem? I can't find anywhere to play! There's a fairly popular concert band in my area but after 5 e-mails and 2 messages left on the director's phone I've got not one response! I'm assuming he has no need for any more trumpets but not a single response? Same results with a local civic orchestra. I guess i'm looking for some suggestions. Everybody knows how hard it is to stay focused to practice but when you don't have an outlet to play it's really hard! I really want to play but I'm beginning to think I may be wasting my time. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Bob
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob. I had/have a similar problem but I live in a duckburg much smaller than Charlotte. People were trying to get me to join the band at the community college. You could try that since they usually let everybody in who wants to be there. I don't want to play in a big group. I got recruited for a quartet at church but it folded after one Sunday because the other folks just don't have the time to commit. Man, I was bummed out because I really liked playing in that brass quartet. Then it was suggested that I join a small band that plays at hospitals, rest homes, retirement homes, etc, weekly. When I called about it, I got recruited to play in a monthly Taize' group also. Both of those groups are sponsored by the Methodist church here. I volunteer or get asked to play at my church and also the Methodist church as well. One source that you might check is the music instructors at the various schools. They may have some suggestions for you. You could also check with the various churches around, music stores, etc... I'm sure you'll find something. You are quite right; It is oh so much more fun playing in a group than just practicing by yourself. I also have literally a stack of cd-book playalongs. they are well worth the money to me. Check em out at trumpetspot.com. Good Luck, Bob

Stan
jfmaulding

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Think of Starting Your Own Quartet or Quintet Reply with quote

I am about to complete my first year of my come-back. I just wasn't interrested in playing in an orchestra or concert band any more. But...I love mixed brass quartets and quintets. Instead of calling to play in someone elses...I began purchasing music. I have collected about 60 good arrangements both for brass quartets and quintets. I got together with some other musicians and we began reading through the music.

Guess what? Musicians are now calling me. I guess that word's gotten around that the charts are pretty good.

It can be your game if you own the football.

John Maulding
D is my main horn
Trombone- King 3B with F
Holton TR150 with F
getzenbob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John and Stan. Good ideas. I have considered contacting some churches.And Stan, I'm very familiar with your "duckburg' as Im origianally from LA and my wife is from Weed, Ca. Thanks again1

Bob
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Bob, we both know that this duckburg is bigger than Weed. Small world, huh? We think about moving to Burney, from time to time, but then there would be no groups to play for a trumpet.

There was a post on the Fundamentals Section a few weeks ago authored by a high school girl. She was going to try and start a small group, but I don't know what the outcome was.

Stan
Bob Cross
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob -
Don't give up because your emails have not been returned. Many musicians don't read them regularly. Good ideas above. If you are taking lessons (you should be) your instructor should know of places looking for musicians. Also check with the local music stores.

Even if you perform duets with your instructor's other students, you need to play with others somewhere at some level. There are skills that you will never get by playing alone.

Play solos at rest homes or anywhere you can - taps, whatever. If you can play, word will get around. Even if you can't play well, a good attitude and the desire to improve should get you in somewhere.

Check with the local Salvation Army to see if they have a band or affiliate. Ditto VFW. Listen to concerts given by local groups and interview the conductor after the concert - captive audience and he will see you are interested. No avoiding emails in that setting. Talk to the trumpeters in these groups too. Going to concerts is important for making contacts.

I badgered Stan into playing with others, and I am glad (and happy to see that he is glad) that I did. He soon learned that resistance was futile. You want to play, and that is half the battle.

Have a pro check you out to be sure that your skills are where you think they are so that you know what sort of gig to look for. I am sure that you are not one of these players, but I have played with some that think they qualify and need no improvement if they can make a sound, regardless of tone, dyanamics, or intonation. You don't want to play in a group where you are the only one that doesn't know that everybody wants you to quit. A pro is invaluable to advise you what type of group would be best for you.

Bob
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is right Bob. He did coax me into playing with a group and also to take lessons. However, he doesn't know that the main reason I joined the groups was not just to be able to play in a group but instead to try to bring some cheer to the sick and elderly.

During our weekly "gigs", we stop playing and sing some old standards. Even though a lot of the people have dementia/alzheimers, their faces light up and come alive for certain songs. Now, I have to say that I really don't like to sing but it's worth it to bring enjoyment. That's why I play in a group. I wish all muscians would take a little time to play for those who are hurting--even if it's just for some holidays.

Stan

Stan
hose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: No place to play Reply with quote

getzenbob wrote:
I'm curious if anyone else has expereinced this dilema. I've been a comeback for about a year now. Practicing all the usual stuff for about 1-2 hrs. a day. I got my chops back to where I am getting excited about playing and performing again. My problem? I can't find anywhere to play! There's a fairly popular concert band in my area but after 5 e-mails and 2 messages left on the director's phone I've got not one response! I'm assuming he has no need for any more trumpets but not a single response? Same results with a local civic orchestra. I guess i'm looking for some suggestions. Everybody knows how hard it is to stay focused to practice but when you don't have an outlet to play it's really hard! I really want to play but I'm beginning to think I may be wasting my time. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
Bob

Bob, I would suggest showing up at one of the band's or orchestra's concerts. Check them out. Introduce yourself to the conductor afterward. Meet a trpt player or two, and maybe state your case to the person in charge of personnel. Chances are there is someplace in those groups for you. The fact that they have not returned your communications doesn't mean much. Just emit a low key aggressiveness and you might be surprised what comes out of it.
Bob Cross
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,
You are right. One of the best things about music is that it is something that brings to joy to others as well as yourself. It is a wonderful experience for me, who works in a job that often brings more sorrow into at least some people's lives.

And that is only one of the joys of performing. I am really happy that you love it so much.

Bob
jazz4yvonne
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getzenbob,
If you have a good day job, I would gladly trade you for my trumpet playing job.
Hardyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course with the "comeback", that horn from 20 years ago just won't cut it. So you'll NEED a new Bb, C, Eb/D, and a Picc, but still have no place to play, except for the dog at home.'

Playing in church is a pretty good idea, also my daughters have played for a group of people in a retirement home and those people loved it.

Keep trying, I admire your enthusiasm.
Hardyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz4yvonne wrote:
getzenbob,
If you have a good day job, I would gladly trade you for my trumpet playing job.

So, do you have a day job like us amature combackers, or are you a full time professional musician? BTW, I like your songs. Where does your group play?
jazz4yvonne
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to cut hair for supercuts,,but now I just travel from gig to gig mostly corporate events. Even travel out of the states like this coming holidays I will be flying to Tokyo to meet up with a big band. Basically my holidays are shot and will be spending it on a stage somewhere in a foreign country.

Right now I teach privately on the weekdays play on the weekends.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey HardyT, You forgot to mention that he needs a flugel Even I have one of those, but I don't have a picc and have no plans on getting one.

Stan
Hardyt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shastastan wrote:
Hey HardyT, You forgot to mention that he needs a flugel Even I have one of those, but I don't have a picc and have no plans on getting one.

Stan

My problem is how to sneek all those must have new horns into the house without the wife noticing. These Lawlers, and Monettes are sweet.
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm lucky I don't have to sneak. My wife is a princess for encouraging me to have the great horns that I do. Of course I encouraged her to get a new flute--which, again, was Bob's idea. The thing is Bob has never told everybody about his horn inventory. That's a closely guarded secret.

STan
Bob Cross
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,
I too am lucky. My wife always encourages me and rarely misses a concert. She puts up with all my horn purchases. I will fess up - my son plays too. Between us we have

Trumpets
Bach ml 37 (one standard, on LR with lightweight body)
Kanstul 1503
Holton Stratodyne - older from Rich Ita - great horn that I should sell since I almost never play it.
Kanstul 602 (son's student/school horn)

Cornets
Yamaha 6335
Getzen 800
Olds LA Ambasador

Flugel
Kanstul 1525

Picc
Kanstul Custom Class

Now you know why I don't list my horns under my signature. Unfortunately, I can only play one at a time.

Bob
getzenbob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardyt wrote:
Of course with the "comeback", that horn from 20 years ago just won't cut it. So you'll NEED a new Bb, C, Eb/D, and a Picc, but still have no place to play, except for the dog at home.'

Playing in church is a pretty good idea, also my daughters have played for a group of people in a retirement home and those people loved it.

Keep trying, I admire your enthusiasm.

Whoa big fella! I'll have to make do with the 20 year old (actually more like 35) for a while! Believe it or not the leader of the band I was refering to called to set up a meeting. He must read TH too! No pressure now!!
And I do have a fluegel also!!
Bob
shastastan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"make do with a 20 yr old?"

Nothing wrong with that. I had a Getzen Severinsen LB 1970 that I sold a couple of months ago. I loved that horn but Bob talked me into getting a Kanstul 1500. No regrets on that purchase but I liked that Getzen a lot. Like Bob C sez, you can only play one at a time though.

Bob C

You do not have to list your son's horn with your others. Besides, I thought you also had a Lawler and were getting a Wild Thing
Scooter01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardyt wrote:
Of course with the "comeback", that horn from 20 years ago just won't cut it.

You're kidding right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: