• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Consider this...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WAKeele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Consider this... Reply with quote

This topic was spawned from the Wynton thread. It's just something to consider...

"Wow. I stopped reading this about half way through when things started getting hairy. Sometimes you have to use an example to get an opinion across and better understood. I think people on here forget that other people DO have opinions and they are actually sometimes different from yours. And sometimes some people don't communicate their thoughts well typed out. Also, there are kids on here and players of all different levels. We are all different people here.

Now for instance, I like Wynton and his jazz and classical playing. Now since I'm more a "classical" guy I’m more critical about his classical playing. I don't recall ever disliking what he's done in the jazz department. I do say, "oh, that's different". I may have liked how Clifford did it or someone else but I still don't think it was bad because of the level he’s on and jazz is all about feeling. Maybe, and most likely, Wynton was feeling something else at the time. I’ve heard him play the same chart on several different occasions and he played it differently each time, and yes, I liked one more than the other. I’d even go as far as to say that I didn’t care for one take at all. It’s improv.

Now for an argument for the other side. CAUTION: The statement I'm about to make will undoubtedly offend someone. Please react in a civil manner and don’t go off on this thread as the original author didn’t intend for it, just to make a point. You’ll have your time elsewhere if you still have the burning urge to go off.

I'm deeply imbedded in the CSO tradition of playing. After some of the concerts this season I believe that Chris Martin is not the man for the job as Principal Trumpet of the CSO--key words PRINCIPAL OF THE CHICAGO SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA. I don't argue the point that he's a fine player, because he is one of the best in the world. I just don't like how he plays with the CSO. I think there is a tradition for an orchestra like the CSO and it needs to continue on, much like the deep tradition of the Vienna Phil.

Now that being said, I am VERY particular about orchestral trumpet playing. It's the little things that make someone’s playing what it is and dictate whether they are a great player and that goes for a big group as well. Now do I do this with jazz?—no…well at least no where near on the same level. Even when it comes to "classical" solo trumpet I don't feel I follow it well enough to make the same type of observations as someone that really does. Because there is a difference. Jazz solo, lead, orchestral, classical solo, theater/musical, opera and any other different types of playing that I might have left out are all played differently, at least at the highest level of professional players. Most people don't recognize these differences. Some do. I really do when it comes to orchestra playing. With any other genre of trumpet playing, I have to rely on others to point out these minute differences from one player to the next. I recognize it on a small level, but not the same level for which I do for the orchestral genre.

So you see, there are a lot of different factors one must consider before you can really slam someone on here. This is the main reason that I never come on here anymore because people don't get along and take in consideration where the other person is coming from. This is the problem with a non face-to-face conversation about trumpet. A lot of senses are lost through this electronic medium.

Now if you want to slam me on this topic I'm going to start another thread just for this very subject so it doesn't hijack the Wynton topic. Please try not to get pissed off by what I just said. As I see it, if you get pissed of about what I just said, God help you, because that's about as middle of the road/neutral as I can put it."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Reveille All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: