• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help for auditions at UNT!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flugle-me-elmo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be auditioning at the university of north texas in a few months (as well as some other schools....Oberlin, univ. of Miami) and I have no idea what to really expect. Going in as a jazz major many places require a jazz AND a classical audition...and I'd like to be in the composition studies as well (probably major in comp. and not trumpet performance). I've written about a dozen big band charts for my high school and they sound pretty good, I suppose...but most of the schools look at my trumpet playing before composing so I'm really trying to beef up my playing right now. Any helpful hints or inside info on what actually goes on in these sorts of auditions...what helps to do...repetoire...attitude...composition aspect? Thanks a lot, and feel free to e-mail me with anything you wouldn't want to post.
Vessehune
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words!! Sight Reading! Make sure your sight reading chops are good. If not kiss UNT good bye!
ejaime23
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you an undergrad??? I've heard real bad things about going to UNT as an undergrad, you might want to try somewhere else first if you are, just some words I've heard from MANY people.
Iguananaught
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to start an argument, but both the teachers at UNT are awesome, and you would probably have a great experience at UNT. The Jazz program is second to none, and if you work your butt off, you will get a ton out of the school. I wish I had gone there. Oh, sight reading is important, but play whatever you are comfortable with. If you sound good on Hadyn play Hadyn, or Arutunian or whatever, just make sure you are comfortable with it. As for the Jazz thing, don't play anything too "out there". Play a standard or two and then maybe something a little modern. Of course, I didn't go there so what do I know!?
Good Luck!

Pat
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are 3 teachers @ UNT. True?

There is Keith Johnson, Jay Saunders, and whoever ends up replacing the recently retired Leonard Candelaria.
phrenetic trumpet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was at UNT in the late 70's, VERY FEW freshman studied with the full-time trumpet teachers. The great majority of freshman studied with teaching assistants (graduate students). What helps is if you're a good player AND at least one of the full-time trumpet teachers know this before you attend UNT. While many of the teaching assistants were good players and teachers, the experience was not what many of the freshman expected.

Regards,
Brian
trptcase

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Holt of the Dallas Opera is teaching at UNT this year for Candelaria. Candelaria is a visting artist-in-residence this year at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

For auditions at UNT, it is important to play something that you are comfortable with. Any of the standard solos (Haydn, Hummel, Arutunian, Kennan, Hindemith, etc) are acceptable. Orchestral excerpts are fine as well. Unless you are going specifically into jazz studies, you will not have to play jazz at your audition to get accepted into the College of Music. Just play something that shows off both your lyrical and technical abilities!

Brian is correct- it is true that few freshman study with professors at UNT and those freshman are usually performance majors. The program is extremely large and it can be an overwhelming place for undergrads, speaking from experience. But if you can make contact with Keith Johnson, John Holt, Jay Saunders, or Mike Steinel (teaches jazz improv, trumpet player) this will help you out.

When I auditioned in 98, I found that the atmosphere was not nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. There are a lot of people to help you out (besides the fact that the music building is somewhat of a maze). Inside the audition room, you will not find a whole panel staring you down but one or two of the trumpet profs. Just remember that they want you to play your best and see what you can do! Good luck! If I can be of any further help, please feel free to e-mail me!

Casey Matthews
UNT- BM 2002

trptcase@aol.com
steve watkins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to North Texas from 1980-1982. Great bands, fine players, (150+ trumpets)but an atmosphere that could be intimidating. The good part of that is it made you want to get your act together in a hurry. The bad part for me at least, was living in Texas, where theres not a whole lot going on outside of school. Don't get me wrong, its an outstanding school, but take into consideration the location before you drive to Denton. I graduated from Univ. of Miami in 1989. Great school, lots of music going on in the Miami area, a more relaxed approach to learning, more individual attention from teachers, and a killer jazz department. However, it is a private school-very expensive. I would'nt worry about your audition to get accepted into NT's music dept. They don't expect anyone to sound like Bud Herseth as a Freshman.
Good luck, and don't worry-its just school, not life!
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any place that makes you take a classical audition in addition to jazz is jive, and should give you an indication of where their priorities lie. As far as UNT's jazz program being second to none; everybody thinks their school is the best. Reality is there's maybe 10 schools that are good, with their different strenghts and weaknesses, and you should go to whatever one gives you the bread.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT has an awesome jazz program. I went to a big band/Combo camp there last year and had a great time. I have a few freinds going there now too. I think you need to just be yourself, be calm, and make music your way. You would be really lucky to have Jay do your audtition he is a great guy.
Nicholas Dyson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-02-17 15:51, adamcz wrote:
Reality is there's maybe 10 schools that are good, with their different strenghts and weaknesses.

Reality is that there are FAR more than 10 good schools, with the strengths and weaknesses. With strengths and weaknesses taken into account, there are more than 10 good schools within a 2 hour drive of your place in NYC. Not too mention the school of life, and the school of hard knocks. Shoot, just listening to the New School cats talk smack about the Manhattan cats, and the Manhattan cats talking about the Julliard guys is a good laugh. Remember, education is 10% teacher and 90% student. You HAVE to have a good quality 10% to get you to 100%, but most educations don't fall short because of the profs/program.
mark936
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USC just jacked their tuition up to $50,000 a year. (not including food and housing.)
Texas sounds real darn good to a parent!

edit: USC school of medicine

[ This Message was edited by: mark936 on 2003-02-21 02:23 ]
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No school is $50,000. That can't be right.
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://afaweb.esd.usc.edu/dcpage2.cfm?PageBaseID=50072

Yep, just checked, and tuition there is $27,000. Still doesn't come anywhere near 50k when you factor in housing.
UNTJazzPlayer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a currently at school here at UNT. I am Jazz Studies Major and I love it here. The whole one on one thing is not true. I could understand how if you didn't really seek it out it would seem that way, but I am learning so much. The teachers here are the best around and can help and will help you in everyway possible.

-Nick

Bach Strad. 180S ML 37/Bob Reeves 43M692
Blessing 154RT Flugelhorn/Bob Reeves 43FE
UNTJazzPlayer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah... About auditions...
It is all about Sight Reading for Jazz auditions. Pull out the Omnibook and just sight read. The Jazz Conceptions book with the play along CD is another good one. One thing I wish I would have worked on improving before I got here is my transcription skills...

-Nick

Bach Strad. 180S ML 37/Bob Reeves 43M692
Blessing 154RT Flugelhorn/Bob Reeves 43FE
adamcz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you be qualified to make a statement like "the teachers here are the best around?" Certainly the teachers there are not the best around as performers, and it would be extremely difficult to form an unbiased opinion of their pedagogical abilities without studying with the teachers at every other school. I'm glad you're enjoying your stay there though.
trumpetspipe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got to school at UNF and the director of our top band is keith javors who is a veteran of the UNT one o'clock band. he always speaks highly of the school and his expericiences there. Just a thought, UNF has an incredible undergraduate program down here and is much smaller so you can get plenty of one on one attention. Another added bonus is out of state tuition isn't that bad and if you impress the professors, you can get out of state waivers so you only have ot pay instate tuition.... where ever you decide to go make sure you work your ass of though, make sure it counts... i completely agree with the 10% teacher 90% student.... teachers can only guide you, it's up to you to make it happen...
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-11-22 17:05, phrenetic trumpet wrote:
When I was at UNT in the late 70's, VERY FEW freshman studied with the full-time trumpet teachers. The great majority of freshman studied with teaching assistants (graduate students). What helps is if you're a good player AND at least one of the full-time trumpet teachers know this before you attend UNT. While many of the teaching assistants were good players and teachers, the experience was not what many of the freshman expected.

Regards, Brian

Hey, Brian,

I was there from 1978-81 (do we know each other?). What you posted is the way it was when I went there. I had a real hack for a trumpet teacher when I went there, and the direct and indirect result of my studying with him was a huge tailspin that resulted in me switching to valve trombone and bass trumpet for 14 years.

Granted, the faculty there was good (the jazz faculty at the time had the big three of Rich Matteson, Jack Petersen and Dan Haerle), but what I got the most out of was hanging out with other students. The number of guys I regularly hung out with there who are now famous jazz musicians is, in itself, impressive (to me, anyway). But most of them will tell you pretty much the same thing: it's the environment there that helps drive you to become the best player possible.

In retrospect, I got way more out of NTSU (that's what it was called back then) due to the other students, not the faculty. For that reason, alone, I'd suggest one of the big schools that has tons of jazz students (if that's your aspiration, of course). Something about hanging out with guys your own age who are getting noticeably better from week to week can be more of an inspiration than some legendary teacher.

Rich
UNTJazzPlayer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich is also right. I had forgot to mention the fact that you are surrounded by so many people your age who are really enthusiastic about Jazz.

-Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: