• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Entire marching band suspended

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Entire marching band suspended Reply with quote

Yesterday, the entire Alabama A&M University marching band was suspended indefinitely from performing because of a hazing incident. The University is investigating the matter and will decide what long-term action will be taken.

Anyone ever heard of something like this happening?
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you expand your definition of certain similar groups:

(fraternity = marching band) in some instances?

Any time you get a group that lacks judgment/experience in human relations and there is a void of leadership/oversight in that group, you have the potential for tragic events. I suggest (without knowing any of the particulars) the leadership of the band (director, university staff, student leaders) are the ones that need to be suspended.
_Kanstul-Krazy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale,

Not to change the suject here, BUT I just checked your website out and WOW, that is a REALLY neat website. I never saw those types of horns before. What an education. I'm going to spend some more time on there look and reading. COOL!

Hey, if you EVER get back up this way to Gettysburg, PLEASE let me know. I live about 40 minutes east of Gettysburg in a city called, York. I'd love to meet and chat with you someday.
_dcstep
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was amazed to learn this went on in some bands. I never even heard of it in Florida (at FSU) in the 1960s. I'm playing with guys that were in the SMU band in the 1970s and it sounds like it was rediculous there. I know a drummer that seems to have been scarred for life by his SMU band experience.

Just a year or so ago, some band members at Texas A&M got in trouble over a hazing incident. I don't know particulars, but it was on the news.

Apparently it's more prevalent than I imagined. Hazing serves no good, IMHO, and should stop in all organizations.

Dave
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Entire marching band suspended Reply with quote

Dale Proctor wrote:
Yesterday, the entire Alabama A&M University marching band was suspended indefinitely from performing because of a hazing incident. The University is investigating the matter and will decide what long-term action will be taken.

Anyone ever heard of something like this happening?

Their chapter of Phi Mu Alpha has also been disbanded for hazing.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
Clarino
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the smeg are they doing for hazing?! (I assume this is like initiations for Band/Rugby team etc)

Either the hazing has become far too severe (like to the point where crimes are being commited) or the authorites are being way too uptight about such activities (a little nudity never hurt anyone! )
Tristan the man 2000
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My initiation for marching band in highschool?

Hot sauce shots.

It was voluntary.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarino wrote:
What the smeg are they doing for hazing?! (I assume this is like initiations for Band/Rugby team etc)

Either the hazing has become far too severe (like to the point where crimes are being commited) or the authorites are being way too uptight about such activities (a little nudity never hurt anyone! )

American schools have become zero-tolerance on hazing because of quite a few deaths related to fraternity/sorority hazing in college.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
TrumpetersClarinettingSis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats hazing?
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's use an episode of The Simpsons for an example, since everything in life can be explained through them (if you don't know the Simpsons, let me know).

There is one episode where Homer is trying to get into the Stonecutters (an obvious parody of the Masonic Lodge). In one scene he is blindfolded and passed down a line of all the Stonecutters who have paddles. One trip is called "Crossing the Burning Sands" everyone whacks him, then there's another trip down the line, then one last one (the Paddling of the Swollen A$$).

That kind of stuff is hazing -- causing physical or emotional discomfort for the purposes of being initiated into a group. Making people drink shot after shot of liquor, or drink a gallon of milk in an hour, paddlings, blindfoldings, tying them up, etc.

vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know if this is urban myth or fact, but I heard of one kid who was blindfolded, and they said they were going to slice his back with a big knife, and used a piece of ice. He supposedly freaked out when they "sliced" him and thought he was really getting cut and died or something.

I rmember my brothers telling me that I would have freshman initiation when i started high school. he said that all the freshman had to roll a penny up the stairs with their nose. I sort of believed him and waited for the announcement
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite was trying to sell the freshman an elevator pass (in a one story building) or a pool pass (no pool there!).

trumpetjennifer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate hazing. I never had to deal with it, but my husband went to Texas A&M and was in their marching band. He was a percussionist, and the hazing was very bad when he was there in the mid 90's. I am disgusted by the stories he tells and saddened that the hazing led to him not wanting to be in band any more when he had looked forward to being in that band his whole life! He was only in it for one year and couldn't do it again, and strictly because of the hazing.

Making people feel excluded when they need to feel like part of a team is wrong, in my opinion. Joking around is cool, but hazing is just plain wrong to me.
TrumpetersClarinettingSis
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...i understand what hazing is now (hooray for the simpsons). Silly stuff thats all in fun, like the rolling a penny up the stairs thing, is pretty harmless, but the extreme stuff just seems awful Ive nver come accross that at all tho, not at uni or any band ive ever played in :S
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in the Miss State Band in the late 50's, and I cant recall any type of hazing at all. The freshmen were welcomed into the band and we all just started working to get the job done. In fact, several of the people I got along with the best were upper classmen, and some of our best musicians were freshmen.

As for the Simpsons example given earlier, the Stonecutters may have been a parody of something, but it was not a Masonic Lodge. I am a 32 degree Mason, and there is nothing akin to hazing in our Lodges. Now, I'm also a Shriner, and "Crossing the burning sands" brought back some memories.
308WIN
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevermind. brain fart.

Rich

9/11/01 Never forget those who died. Never forget those who killed them.
StradJapan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Kappa Kappa Psi at the University of Michigan and we had absolutely no kinds of hazing going on. Same was true for the marching band. I think we all tried to live up to the good reputation that we had.

It's too bad that certain members participate in hazing. It puts a bad name to some wonderful programs, and specifically in this incident, Phi Mu Alpha, which happens to be a very noble organization.

Seiji

www.RidgewoodBand.org - Treasurer
www.BergenYouthOrchestra.org - Vice President
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - cooler heads have prevailed. Now, only the suspects are suspended. The remainder of the band will be permitted to march at the Saturday football game. The incident involved "inappropriate physical activities" that resulted in undisclosed injuries to one band student.

_Kanstul-Krazy wrote:
Not to change the suject here, BUT I just checked your website out and WOW, that is a REALLY neat website. I never saw those types of horns before. What an education. I'm going to spend some more time on there look and reading. COOL!

I'm OK with a change of sublect when a compliment is involved! We're planning on making the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg, if we are all still living.
pfrank
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murph66 wrote:
I played in the Miss State Band in the late 50's, and I cant recall any type of hazing at all. The freshmen were welcomed into the band and we all just started working to get the job done. In fact, several of the people I got along with the best were upper classmen, and some of our best musicians were freshmen.
I'm also a Shriner, and "Crossing the burning sands" brought back some memories.

Well, that was back when people were civilized, right? In some parts of society today, it's very much the law of the jungle. Dumbed down, uber macho, militarism, us against them mentality.
(Now where is someone railing against P.C. tyrany?) This is the Reason for so-called P.C. restrictions: when people are childish savages, they need to be disciplined.
Yes, "a little nudity never hurt anyone!" (But then, I'm an "immoral" Liberal)

My father was a Shriner. I stole his double reed "Musette" and still play it to scare the cat. He said they were concerned after 9/11 that their Arab symbolism is now cast in a bad light. Hopefull they've gotten over it and gotten back to the fun and support of some of the best charity work ever done: the Shriner Burn Hospitals.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfrank wrote:
.....some of the best charity work ever done: the Shriner Burn Hospitals.

I played lead trumpet for years in a local Shriners big band. The members were mostly non-Shriner volunteers (me included) who performed "gratis" and all the money the band made went to the burn hospitals. A lot of fun and a good cause.

My personal feeling about hazing is that it is a throwback to the initiation rites of primitive societies. It has no place in public institutions. In private organizations, as long as no laws are broken and the candidate is willing, I suppose people are still free to do supid things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: