• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Who played TAPS today, or will tomorrow?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boofredlay
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Who played TAPS today, or will tomorrow? Reply with quote

I played at my wife's school this morning at their Veterans Day Ceremony. They held it to day because school will be out tomorrow.
I was proud to play in front of a large group of decorated veterans, as well as a couple of hundred elementary school kids.
trombapaul2
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be doing 3 Memorial services over the weekend. One of them includes
Commonwealth Veterans so "Last Post" and "Reveille" will be on the menu
along with "Taps" and our "Reveille" (The USA and Commonwealth Reveille's
are played to signify those Veterans still alive continuing on in honor of their
departed comrades).

Paul
Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing tomorrow, Canadian Rembrance Day but last Sunday 5 of the trumpets in our band played the Last Post and Rouse at church services and in the last 4 months 6 members have played at least once. This is the year of the veteran in Canada.

THEY SHALL GROW NOT OLD AS WE THAT ARE LEFT GROW OLD;
AGE SHALL NOT WEARY THEM NOR THE YEARS CONDEMN.
AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND IN THE MORNING,
WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.

Olds trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds Flugelhorn/GR leadpipe/GR Butcher 65.6FL
Trumpeter656
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tomorrow at our small town ceremony. This is my absolute favorite thing to play.

Conn 8D double F/Bb horn
ralphnz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing the Last Post and probably Reveille (well, technically Rouse) on Sunday in a cathedral, and had to turn down another one at the same time.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of many doing Last Post/Rouse on Sunday - I have also been teaching it this week, to my advanced students - a number of them are playing on Sunday and at school, at 11am, on the 11th.

I have been booked for life at the church I play at - I depped there about 7 years ago, they liked the way I did it and I have been there ever since - it is the first gig I put in my diary each year.

For the first time, I will be putting in a very personal prayer on Sunday - one of my closest friends is currently out in Basra, as part of the Territorial Army - she is a nurse.
I pray daily that God will keep her safe.
sbrown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing tomorrow with a buddy of mine at a veterans day program at the local elementary school.
-Frank Holton 7c
-Yamaha Bobby Shew lead
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would play TAPS tomorrow...but I'm on a no trumpet order from the doctor...so...I will sing it instead.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
mathewsj
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: me me me! Reply with quote

I'm playing at our university's (ENMU) veteran's day ceremonies.
ralphnz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:
I would play TAPS tomorrow...but I'm on a no trumpet order from the doctor...so...I will sing it instead.

You could also do a tap dance to compensate.

Meanwhile I'll stick to bugling.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be sounding 'taps' at the monument cluster on our courtsquare this evening at 6:00 pm.

lara:

go ahead & send me that eclipse. we can't have you being tempted to break the doc's rules

dj
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school's former band director actually played rather than me, but a local high school had a patriotic service in which an active duty marine lt. colonel presented to the school a flag that had been flown over Iraq in his helicopter. What made it special was that this marine is a 1984 graduate of the school.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't play Taps today, but I marched in the local Veterans' Day parade. I thought that Memorial Day was established to pay tribute to veterans that had passed away, and Taps is traditionally played at those ceremonies. Isn't Veterans' Day celebrated to honor living veterans? Why play Taps?
edtaylor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veterans' Day (formerly Armistice Day)
November 11, is the anniversary of the Armistice which was signed in the Forest of Compiegne by the Allies and the Germans in 1918, ending World War I, after four years of conflict.
At 5 A.M. on Monday, November 11, 1918 the Germans signed the Armistice, an order was issued for all firing to cease; so the hostilities of the First World War ended. This day began with the laying down of arms, blowing of whistles, impromptu parades, closing of places of business. All over the globe there were many demonstrations; no doubt the world has never before witnessed such rejoicing.
In November of 1919, President Woodrow Wilson issued his Armistice Day proclamation. The last paragraph set the tone for future observances:
To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country's service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nation.

In 1927 Congress issued a resolution requesting President Calvin Coolidge to issue a proclamation calling upon officials to display the Flag of the United States on all government buildings on November 11, and inviting the people to observe the day in schools and churches...But it was not until 1938 that Congress passed a bill that each November 11 "shall be dedicated to the cause of world peace and ...hereafter celebrated and known as Armistice Day."
That same year President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a bill making the day a legal holiday in the District of Columbia. For sixteen years the United States formally observed Armistice Day, with impressive ceremonies at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, where the Chief Executive or his representative placed a wreath. In many other communities, the American Legion was in charge of the observance, which included parades and religious services. At 11 A.M. all traffic stopped, in tribute to the dead, then volleys were fired and taps sounded.
After World War II, there were many new veterans who had little or no association with World War I. The word, "armistice," means simply a truce; therefore as years passed, the significance of the name of this holiday changed. Leaders of Veterans' groups decided to try to correct this and make November 11 the time to honor all who had fought in various American wars, not just in World War I.
In Emporia, Kansas, on November 11, 1953, instead of an Armistice Day program, there was a Veterans' Day observance. Ed Rees, of Emporia, was so impressed that he introduced a bill into the House to change the name to Veterans' Day. After this passed, Mr. Rees wrote to all state governors and asked for their approval and cooperation in observing the changed holiday. The name was changed to Veterans' Day by Act of Congress on May 24, 1954. In October of that year, President Eisenhower called on all citizens to observe the day by remembering the sacrifices of all those who fought so gallantly, and through rededication to the task of promoting an enduring peace. The President referred to the change of name to Veterans' Day in honor of the servicemen of all America's wars.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had a moonlit 'taps' with 8 members of the community that showed up. the new church of Christ minister came...said a prayer at the end.
that's sort of what i hoped would happen...it pulled some folx together that don't usually meet.

the oldest was a ww2 navy vet who wept. he said he had had to hear that tune too many times for fellows he knew.

dj
thedevilisbad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:

Lara

What happened? Kissing to many boys?

David Koch Custom 1958 Olds Ambassador
1951 Conn 80A
A lot of other crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chris Woodruff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a last-minute call from the family of WWII soldier to play for his funeral in the afternoon. My students were either already committed, I was able to re-arrange some teaching. I'm glad I did.

It was the first military funeral I've played. The Officer-In-Charge was relieved to see a real trumpeter and promptly removed the mini-boombox. The firing party was practicing: three soldiers firing seven shots. The click of their firing pins gave no clue as to what I was going to experience later.

The protocol and tradition of a military funeral is rich with history and "Taps" is just a part of that--but a part that carries great meaning for the family, as well as for the soldiers present.

This page came in handy:

http://www.tapsbugler.com/TapsPerformanceGuide/TapsPerfGuide3.html

It is truly an honor, as a trumpeter and as a civilian, to have the opportunity to express gratitude to those who have given years of service and, all too often, their lives in the service of our nation.
California Polytechnic State University
silverstar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thedevilisbad wrote:
silverstar wrote:

Lara

What happened? Kissing to many boys?

No...actually, I haven't kissed anybody since...*sigh* May.

No...I had a really bad ear infection and the doctor told me no trumpet for a week....which means until tomorrow/Monday.

Lara

I may falter, I may fall, but I will get back up and keep at it. Fall down 7 times, get up 8.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silverstar wrote:
I haven't kissed anybody since...*sigh* May.

Aaahh

(not going to say how long it is for me - but it feels like a long time)
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lara:

'No...actually, I haven't kissed anybody since...*sigh* May.'

gasp ...yankee boys are foolish!...come south, quickly that we may all vie for the pleasure of revelling to the sweet caress of your goddess lips!!!!

bring the eclipse, too.

dj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: