• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schools in the UK

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikMahler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Schools in the UK Reply with quote

I'm wrapping up my undergrad degree here in the states and am very curious about the possibility of going to grad school in the UK. I'm looking into the Royal Northern College of Music, Royal College of Music, and the Guilhauld (sp?) Conservatory. Of these schools does anyone know if any of the trumpet professor there teach in the Chicago School style? Any information would help! Thank you so much.
Jonny Boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some great trumpet players teaching in those colleges but none that I would describe as Chicago School. They may have some similar approaches but with a different sound concept.

JB
redface
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many brit players will know what you mean by `chicago school' - over here that way of playing is generally known as `taking a big breath and playing with a good a sound as possible'. Which is how a lot of teachers teach at music schools over here. 2 that spring to mind are Jim Watson at the Royal Academy and Paul Archibald at the Royal College. If you do decide to come over your C trumpet won't get much use as almost everyone uses B flat primarily. You can check out Paul Archibald's teaching philosophy on his website www.paularchibald.co.uk he has a big section on education.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Jonny Boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Jim Watson and Paul Archibald are good teachers. Jim Watson will play more in your lesson (demonstrate for you). There's another guy called John Miller who I think may even have studied in Chicago (i'd forgotten about him).

JB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Chicago School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: