• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Gobelt of Fire (may contain spoilers)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: The Gobelt of Fire (may contain spoilers) Reply with quote

was amazing!!!

if you haven't seen it, you may not want to read this thread.

Thoughts from people?

I loved it. The new composer did an excellent job. Fit very well, I liked it.

although they mixed up the story a little, they still did an alright job. I wish there was more quiddich world cup action, but all the triwizzard stuff made up for it. The graveyard scene, holy wow, talk about amazing. This is one to not bring the kids to, a little too dark and scary for the youngins.

also, I didn't care too much for the mad eye moody or cho chang actors. I pictured cho prettier (not that she was ugly), and moody wasn't as scary as I thought. his eye was weird... totally not what i pictured.

so... everyone elses thoughts, opinions?
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one?
icebraker613
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a pretty big harry potter fan. Just that it was sold out at all the theatres in my area. I might go watch it the thanksgiving weekend. From what i heard, they cut too much out from the books and voldemort was a dissapointment. Is this true?
JazzyManda

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved this movie! I saw it today in the Imax theater inside my local theater. They built it just for this movie. haha. But anyways, book 4 is my fave book and now my favorite movie

Amanda
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icebraker613 wrote:
I'm a pretty big harry potter fan. Just that it was sold out at all the theatres in my area. I might go watch it the thanksgiving weekend. From what i heard, they cut too much out from the books and voldemort was a dissapointment. Is this true?

he was creepy and disgusting and better than I imagined him. They did a fantastic job imo.
Gnostic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Goblet of Fire the day it came out and was extremely impressed with the movie. To me this is the first movie that captured the writing style of J.K.R. I loved the way the movie was done in an almost visionary style like someone is telling the story by memory, great style. The humor was first rate and very funny. All the roles were nailed and now we see Voldemort in his slithery form, Fiennes did a wonderful job, very expressive. I can't wait to see it again. I hope they keep Mike Newell for movie 5, book 5 Order of the Phoenix.
Thermos
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was impressed.

From a critical standpoint however:

One thing that was bad is that for anyone who didnt read the books (i have a few relatives that havent) the movie would be very hard to follow. Obviously its not geared for people who didnt read the books, i just think it would have been nice if they did a little less jumping around. The movie was already 2 and a half hours though. Perhaps they could've released an extended version for the dvd.

I think they should have made voldemort scarier. He was too human like. Obviously he is a human, he just doesnt look scary enough. Also, the way dumbledore's beard was tied bugged me

Overall, i thought the movie was very well done, definately worth watching and something i'll probably go back too.
JazzyManda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dissapointed they cut out Hermione's whole thing with liberating the House Elves. I think it's called S.P.E.W.? I don't remember, but they had some code for it. Anyways, there's a lot of that in the 4th, 5th and 6th books and I wish they had mentioned it at least.

Also, WHERE ARE THE QUIDICH GAMES???

I miss those

Amanda
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzyManda wrote:
I was dissapointed they cut out Hermione's whole thing with liberating the House Elves. I think it's called S.P.E.W.? I don't remember, but they had some code for it. Anyways, there's a lot of that in the 4th, 5th and 6th books and I wish they had mentioned it at least.

I miss those

Amanda

well there werent any quiddich games at hogwarts because of the triwizzard tournament, they didn't have games. However, I was hoping to see a ton of world cup action. that really dissapointed me.
Gnostic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see Goblet of Fire again today; it was great and just as good the 2nd time around.
horndevil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting to the music for a minute.....I though the taking the main theme into a minor key really darkened the tone for the film, in keeping with the darker story in this film.

Overall, I felt that the humour took this episode to a new level and had me laughing a lot. All my family loved it, we even took my mum, who talked thoughout Prisoner of Azkaban, but sat in stunned amazement through Goblet of Fire.

Ian Barnes
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like how the main theme was also in 6 or whatever he did.
jophst
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the movie overall was pretty well done for trying to jam a potential 20 hour movie into a little over 2 hours. Of course, he had to leave out certain characters and subplots to make it happen.

The things that I disagreed with were:

Did anyone else think Dumbledore was a completely different character and grumpy and mean even? Where was his previous calm and collected self?

I would have wanted to see more of a scary 3rd challenge in the maze with monsters and other obstacles ... rather than a long maze with moving roots. After coming from that ridiculous dragon, and suspenseful underwater trial, it seemed week IMHO.

I also feel that the lines of most characters seemed a little rushed at times and that the movie didn't flow naturally .. seemed choppy somewhat.

.... all this being said, it is always easier to point out the bad than the good. I really liked the movie and felt more emotionally attached to this one than the previous three. I can't wait to see the last three to come.
Laskey's 68MD,68C,PIC,68F,68DB
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trumpet_goddess
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icebraker613 wrote:
From what i heard, they cut too much out from the books and voldemort was a dissapointment. Is this true?

NO FREAKING WAY!!!!! dude, he's like so snake-like and everything! OH it's amazing!
trumpet_goddess
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JazzyManda wrote:

I miss those

Amanda

there weren't any in the forth book because of the TWT.
vivace
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jophst wrote:
I thought the movie overall was pretty well done for trying to jam a potential 20 hour movie into a little over 2 hours. Of course, he had to leave out certain characters and subplots to make it happen.

The things that I disagreed with were:

Did anyone else think Dumbledore was a completely different character and grumpy and mean even? Where was his previous calm and collected self?

I would have wanted to see more of a scary 3rd challenge in the maze with monsters and other obstacles ... rather than a long maze with moving roots. After coming from that ridiculous dragon, and suspenseful underwater trial, it seemed week IMHO.

I also feel that the lines of most characters seemed a little rushed at times and that the movie didn't flow naturally .. seemed choppy somewhat.

.... all this being said, it is always easier to point out the bad than the good. I really liked the movie and felt more emotionally attached to this one than the previous three. I can't wait to see the last three to come.

you gotta remember that moody/crouch jr. had gone through and helped harry so he would win with the portkey and eveything, ya know?
Wispy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was good and as good as the others. Ideally I would have liked to seen many subplots that were left out, but of course the movie would be too long. I thought the visiting schools were done very well, especially the chorographed scenes in which they first appear. My main gripe with the movie, which I consider huge, is that I feel that it didn't capture the magic feel to it. Not so much as more spells, just more detail to drag you into the world of wizards. I.E. references to Hogemades, the banquet food magically appearing, mayb a 3 1/4 train platform scene, moving staircases. Who knows. just more of the immersing details that are in the books.
________
LAMBORGHINI DIABLO GT SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited by Wispy on Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trumpeter656
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know why Williams didn't compose or direct this score?

Conn 8D double F/Bb horn
David_N

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very disappointed at the qorld cup. Not only did they show no quidditch but there were no Veelas. The only thing that made me wanna c the movie was the Veelas and there were none. But serious Cho Changs accent is the funniest thing i have heard. The moment she opened her mouth to speak i fell on the floor laughing. But on the slightly more serious note wat the hell happened in the maze it was reeli weird. I know it was september 22nd last year was when Warner Bros annouced that it wasn't John Williams who was doin the music but like the music was awesome it was a bit different but wat can u expect when its a different composer.
lincolnjazz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams didn't do the score because he was already attached to do Memoirs of a Geisha. His name was attached to the project when Spielberg was set to direct and he stayed on to do it. If he had done GoF he would have had to write 2 scores at the same time. Geisha, by the way is a fantastic score (no trumpets, though).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: