• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Red ring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Whenever I play, even if it is for two minutes, I get a very dark red ring on my lips. There is a SLIGHT swollen circle where the cup of the mouthpiece is. I definately do not use too much pressure and I am puckering just as Doc said, so there is a cushion there. My mouthpiece is a Chase Sanborn/GR Tech. 65 that is gold plated. Is it possible that I'm allergic to it? My "ring" seems to be far darker and more distinct than everyone else that I have ever played with. Thought/Comments?

Thanks.
Lex Grantham
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried OTHER mouthpieces to determine if the problem exists with them, too?

When you play and get the swollen ring, have you been playing low, middle, or high notes primarily?

But you also emphasized "SLIGHT" for the ring on your lips...do your lips feel sore after the ring appears?

It may be that some players simply have a slight ring after playing...I have many times, too.

Maybe the way that you grip your trumpet with the left hand causes some undue pressure against your lips.

Sincerely,

Lex Grantham
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I defintately do not use undue pressure. It doesn't matter what register I play in, I still get the ring. There is never any pain, itch, or irritation. I have tried using a plastic rim...same thing.
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I auditioned for the Army Blues back in late '76, I believe, maybe early '77, and the lead player in the band at that time was a guy named Steven Jones, if memory serves.

When that guy took the mouthpiece off his face and looked at me, his lips were purple where the mouthpiece had been sitting, and then a minute later they looked fine.

I'm not a doctor . . . and I don't even play one on TV . . . but my guess is that unless it's causing pain or itching, etc., and if it isn't hindering your playing, then there's nothing to worry about.

I was telling Chris LaBarbera the other night; I stopped looking at my lips in the mirror years ago. The tiniest little thing can turn huge in my mind when I look at it, and will probably not bother me in the least, anyway.

Back when I was battling a genuine injury problem on my lower lip I was looking at it several times a day, and the image became gargantuan in my mind, even though it started as really a small problem.

My opinion about all this is that if it's hurting really bad for a prolonged period of time, then it's probably something real that needs to be dealt with. My mind can make mountains out of molehills, so I choose not to feed the flames by obsessing over tiny pains and reinforcing their image by staring at my chops in the mirror.

Maybe I'm nuts, but I haven't had a genuine injury problem on my lips (knock on wood) since 1982.

Rich
drunkiq
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that ring my just be from a sharp edge on the inner diameter of your rim... For instance some people call schilke mpc's cookie cutters becasue the inner contour is sharp to prevent you from using pressure... ...

I play on Schilke but always have them round the sharp bite off....

the problem you may run into with a quick fix like that, is that you will most likely start to bottom out on a shallow mpc, since there is nothing to remind you to back off... this is not a recommend solution, it is was just my approach to my orgianl problem.

I hope you find a good solution, please take a step back and make srue you are not pressing on the mpc to hard... look in a mirror after you play, is it indented bad?

the gold thing does not make any sense.. you said it happens with a plastic rim too....

I learned the hard way.. I have two white scars on my upper lip that look like this ().. they have somewhat faded out over the years but if i ever look real close in the mirror I can still see them...

I wished I had seeked more help when I was young.. if only the net was around back then like it is now...

My Schilke X3Lb in Satin Gold
[img]http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/3f4577e3_1283/bc/X/__hr_x.jpg?BCoZaR_ARis3g4PD[/img]
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people get red marks from playing brass instruments, and it usually has less to do with the amount of pressure they use or any reactions to the metals of the mouthpiece. Some people's skin just reacts to pressure more sensitively than others. As was mentioned above, unless you are causing yourself pain or notice symptoms of excessive pressure (loosened teeth, swollen lips, etc.) I wouldn't worry about it.

Good luck!

Dave
DSR
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that was some excellent advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: