• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Spada Eclipse Bach 65!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bengant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Spada Eclipse Bach 65! Reply with quote

I wanted to let everybody know about a trumpet that I am reluctantly having to sell.
I have spent the last few years trying to put together the ultimate bach trumpet. I originally bought a bach 37 that had been modified in Switzerland by Spada. Iain Wilson (then the Sub-Principal trumpet at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden) had suggested that I try the instrument as the orchestra were starting to use them. The bell and the lead-pipe are detachable allowing you to easily try different combinations of size and material. All tuning is done from the bell which means that the stays between the lead-pipe and the bell are retractable. Spada also places washers in the bottom of the first and third valves which seems to have the effect of focusing and enriching the tone.
I decided to add a semicircular tuning bow to the instrument which I bought from Brass-Lab in New York. This helps with the slotting on the trumpet and provides a very free blow. I then ordered a 65 bell from Brass-Lab having played one on an instrument that Mark Bennett was using a couple of years ago. I was blown away by the rich, dark, teutonic sound that you get from that bell.
Finally I went to see Leigh at the Eclipse factory, which at that time was in Dunstable. He really brought the instrument together. He overhauled, replated and modified certain aspects of the instrument. It really is the most fantastic trumpet. I think that it works best when playing second trumpet in a symphony orchestra or playing jazz. However, if you find yourself in a different musical situation you can always take the 65 bell off and use the 37!
Unfortunately I have a huge tax bill to pay in January and so it has to go!
If anyone is interested and wants to take a closer look at the instrument it will be posted on ebay from Friday 25th November.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: